Anyone up for trying CivCraft?

CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

So I've been reading up on CivCraft and from what I have read it looks really cool. It's a bit of a combination of Civilization and Minecraft.

Check it out here.
http://civcraft.gamepedia.com/CivCraft_Wiki

Anyone up for hopping on a server and trying it out?

Comments

• MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian

You had me so excited that you were talking about reddit.com/r/civcraft then I see you're talking about this one.

• d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian

I have tried CivCraft before and it was a giant pain to get to work, if you do want to give it a good college try, I can set up my server to run it so it doesn't mess with Icrontic's server.

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

@MiracleManS said:
    You had me so excited that you were talking about reddit.com/r/civcraft then I see you're talking about this one.

I was just talking about CivCraft in General I just joined a random server and have been messing around, trying not to die.

edited July 2014

@CrazyJoe said:
    I was just talking about CivCraft in General I just joined a random server and have been messing around, trying not to die.

This is a long and unnecessary story, but the reddit/r/civcraft is nothing like Civilization + Minecraft (and has been around a bit longer). It's essentially a political simulation with none of the rules you typically see outside of "Don't cheat by using client mods. Feel free to kill each other however you like".

Edit: For a little more detail, it's essentially an attempt to create an open world to allow folks to play how they see fit in any political philosophy they see fit. I know this iteration of civcraft includes a few monarchies, more than one communist state, a few democracy and an influx of griefers from time to time. The coolest addition is the PrisonPearl system which allows the individual areas to regulate their own laws. If I'm not mistaken, cake was outlawed in one area and carrying it was a reason for a pearling.

@d3k0y said:
    I have tried CivCraft before and it was a giant pain to get to work, if you do want to give it a good college try, I can set up my server to run it so it doesn't mess with Icrontic's server.

That would be cool. Of course if we got enough people interested we could just hop on a random server and let them figure out how to get everything working if it's a PITA.

edited July 2014

@MiracleManS said:
    Edit: For a little more detail, it's essentially an attempt to create an open world to allow folks to play how they see fit in any political philosophy they see fit. I know this iteration of civcraft includes a few monarchies, more than one communist state, a few democracy and an influx of griefers from time to time. The coolest addition is the PrisonPearl system which allows the individual areas to regulate their own laws. If I'm not mistaken, cake was outlawed in one area and carrying it was a reason for a pearling.

That looks neat too.

@CrazyJoe said:
    That looks neat too.

It lends itself to a much different experience and requires some thick skin because the ruleset is basically there are no rules. There are a few mods that make up for deficiencies in the tech tree for Minecraft but generally it's all about mob rule (and organizing that mob rule).

So apparently the version of Civcraft I tried before I not the same as this one, I looked into installing
    http://civcraft.net/
    And it is a bit more complicated than I am willing/able to do.

I will keep poking at it, and I will let you know if I figure it out.

OK. I have been playing on the Punchcraft server so if anyone is interested in trying it let me know and you can hop on and join my Civ.

I never could get it set up, but luckily it turns out the modders hate Microsoft

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/09/17/minecraft-mod-civcraft-goes-standalone-as-praxis/

midga

This CivCraft they talk about is the one MiracleMan posted about rather than the one I played for a bit this summer.