Yahoo Home Page different on different computers?

vanagon40vanagon40 Indiana Member

My computers at home and at work are both Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit OS. Both have the most updated version of Firefox. But when I open the home page at Yahoo (and logged into the same account), I get completely different screens. It's no big deal, but I wonder WHY?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Please upload your image to imgur.com.

• vanagon40vanagon40 Indiana Member

Well, I thought I had uploaded the image, but I guess not. Here is the image from photobucket. If it makes any difference, the top is home and the bottom work.

• This is called responsive design. CSS is defined such that the website is viewed slightly differently for each platform.

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

He said both platforms are exactly the same.

• Mind was clouded last night for some reason.
    The only thing that comes to mind is that you are involved in a split test by Yahoo. So they may be testing one design vs. another on a large number of users to try and identify or optimize some metric.

midga
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian

@PirateNinja said:
    Mind was clouded last night for some reason.
    The only thing that comes to mind is that you are involved in a split test by Yahoo. So they may be testing one design vs. another on a large number of users to try and identify or optimize some metric.

This is the most likely. Also, did you clear your cache? I've noticed some browsers (Chrome is awful for this at times) can hold onto CSS caches for an absurdly long time.

• Could, maybe, possibly be a resolution issue. Perhaps their layout changes based on the width of the viewable area? Do your monitors have different resolutions and have you tried fullscreening the work browser to see if it reflows the layout?

• AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited October 2014

It looks like an A/B test to me. Looks like one is logged in and one is not (although A/B testing is usually dont one with those who are logged in for recording reasons.) They're testing a new design. Don't freak out. This is super standard.

• @Annes said:
    It looks like an A/B test to me. Looks like one is logged in and one is not (although A/B testing is usually dont one with those who are logged in for recording reasons.) They're testing a new design. Don't freak out. This is super standard.

I'd say they're both logged in. Both say "Hi, James" on them (one at the top, one on the side).

• vanagon40vanagon40 Indiana Member

Some great thoughts. A little more information: I liked the idea about the screen size and resolution as my monitors are different. BUT, I just checked and at home, on the same monitor and resolution, I get the top screen with the Firefox browser and bottom screen with Internet Explorer 11. I ran CCleaner to dump all temporary files and the cache. And it makes no difference whether I am logged in or not.

I am NOT concerned about this, I was just curious.

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited October 2014

Websites can query browsers to find out which they are, then feed different looks to different browsers. But, the browsers are the same in your case.

• AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian

@ardichoke said:
    I'd say they're both logged in. Both say "Hi, James" on them (one at the top, one on the side).

You're right! Completely missed it. I figured that big box was just a huge logo. I wonder if that little face would update to your avatar if you had one.

• If not a split test or A/B test, it could be your dpi. It's easy enough to do media declarations in CSS and detect higher dpi and serve up better quality images or whatever. In the case of your home computer, you could have the same monitor and same resolution as work but a higher DPI and as a result Yahoo modifies the look of the site. That explanation could also fall in line with the differing results in IE and FireFox because DPI detection is not always simple and in the past (and probably still) you needed to do different media declarations in the CSS for each browser to properly detect it.