Coffee Grind Spreadsheets

RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian

@primesuspect‌ posted this on facebook. I'm curious what levels of geekery you have gone through for your coffee.

http://mattperger.com/The-EK43-Part-Two#.VEFb9_nF_Vo

Comments

• My level of geekery stopped at purchasing a variable temperature electric kettle, a handful of brewing methods, a handful of grinders and trying things until I landed on a taste that I like. Haven't stepped up to spreadsheets yet... but my current extraction methods are as follows.

Aeropress + Porlex Mini burr mill for single cup brewing

Bodum Chambord French Press + Capresso Infinity mill for making a pot

Both my mills have been dialed in over time to the correct size and only get adjusted if absolutely necessary.

• d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian

I have a hand mill I use at work, with my french press, electric kettle, probe thermometer and egg timer. 52g of coarse grind for 600g of water, heated to 195F for 3:30.

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

I've found my Corningware electric percolator makes an excellent pot of coffee running at ~90V AC from my 20A variac.

primesuspectSusurro
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian

I don't drink coffee.

I've failed this Icrontic.

JBoogaloo
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

I may or may not have seen a device that will be going on sale later this year that downloads the weight, grind, brew time, and water temperature instructions via WiFi from the roaster for as perfect a cup as you can get. It was awesome.

• RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian

For french press, I was tracking water temp (estimate) and amount of coffee. Grind was fairly limited since french press.

• midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    edited October 2014

"I'll have a coffee, please."

--edit--
    Apparently this was my Comment Number 2500. Lul.

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

I wing that mother.

@Tushon said:
    I may or may not have seen a device that will be going on sale later this year that downloads the weight, grind, brew time, and water temperature instructions via WiFi from the roaster for as perfect a cup as you can get. It was awesome.

And here is the kickstarter for it. I'm getting one :D

500 bucks MSRP for a single cup brewer? You craycray

JBoogaloo

Perhaps. It was a pretty phenomenal machine to see in action.

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited October 2014

If I were to get a machine to brew anything for me, it'd be the PicoBrew.

GHoosdum
  • @d3k0y said:
    500 bucks MSRP for a single cup brewer? You craycray

You forget, adding a mobile app to control it automatically doubles the value!

@ardichoke said:
    You forget, adding a mobile app to control it automatically doubles the value!

Can you also order a R.O.B. to bring the coffee to you

• RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian

So, I freeze my coffee (when its pre-ground in batches at least.) Because I'm poor and can't keep fresh coffee around.

Up until today, that made sense to me: the coffee degasses as it sits (loses carbon dioxide, etc). This is a physical process which would slow down with temperatures being lower.

So, it was made a point to me that it doesn't make a difference / makes the coffee worse. Point of reference was made to ask coffee roaster (who has a bias to make you want to buy more coffee, more often.)

I did some googling. Came across this article which I thought was interesting, and had to share.

http://www.home-barista.com/store-coffee-in-freezer.html

TL;DR: tasters couldn't tell the difference from fresh and 4 week old (frozen) coffee frozen directly after roasting then dethawed for testing in a controlled taste test.

And here I found out what I'm doing wrong. Its the repeated freezing / dethawing that causes damage (introduces water) to the coffee. Luckily, I'm not leaving it out for long!

Honestly, it tastes fine to me either way, so I'm not too picky on my coffee tastes apparently.

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

Its the repeated freezing / dethawing that causes damage (introduces water) to the coffee. Luckily, I'm not leaving it out for long!

Honestly, it tastes fine to me either way, so I'm not too picky on my coffee tastes apparently.

Got access to a vacuum sealer? If so you could make much smaller packages out of the larger bag. Of course if you're just leaving all the grounds in the freezer until brew time it may not matter.

Well, Dustin canceled the Bruvelo kickstarter, due to some bad numbers issues from manufacturers.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1003294547/bruvelo-smart-wifi-connected-pour-over-coffee-brew/posts/1045225

for anyone who is curious. Cool guy, smart idea and I hope to see it come back soon.