Stacking 2.5" SSD and HDD in same bracket

Dear genius friends of Icrontic,

I am installing an SSD and a 2.5" 7200RPM hard drive together in the same 2.5" to 3.5" adapter.

I'm assuming that the HDD will put out more heat, so it's better to put the SSD on the bottom and the HDD on top, but before I install this I would like for you, dear friends, to validate my assumptions. I'm using an Intel 530 series SSD (sorry Ryder) and a Western Digital Scorpio Black HDD.

Thanks in advance for the advice and opinions.

Comments

• Advice: All hard drives and ssds have a little hole that says "do not cover this hole." Do not cover that hole. I don't know what it does, but don't cover it.

ErrorNullTurnip
  • @PirateNinja said:
    Advice: All hard drives and ssds have a little hole that says "do not cover this hole." Do not cover that hole. I don't know what it does, but don't cover it.

AlexDeGruvenPirateNinjaErrorNullTurnipHero
  • I can't locate the "don't cover" hole on the Intel 530 SSD, but if the HDD is in the top set of bracket screws there would be airspace around it everywhere but the mount points.

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

I'd put the spinner on top. The "don't cover" hole is generally on the top side of HDDs. Regardless, I doubt the HDD would produce enough heat to cause a problem.

GHoosdum
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian

@drasnor said:

>

The "do not cover hole" is the pressure relief vent which allows the drive to maintain equilibrium with its environment through thermal and barometric pressure changes. The drive mechanism depends on aerodynamic boundary layer formation to prevent head crashes.

http://alasir.com/books/hards/022-024.html

ELI5 version: The relief hole lets air in and out as either the drive or the surrounding air changes temperature or pressure. If the wrong amount of air is in, the drive will not be supported properly, and will ruin your HDD.

Signal
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

ELI2 version: The "do not cover hole" keeps the hard drive happy in its operating climate. Plugging the hole could ruin your drive.

BlackHawkSignalErrorNullTurnip
  • ELI1 version: "do not cover hole"

BlackHawkSignal
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

ELI0 version: do not smash with rock. is not food. no smash with rock

mertesn
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

So is @pragtastic‌ ELI3 or ELI4?

-Digi

• doabarrellrolldoabarrellroll San Jose, CA Icrontian

ELI4chan: wut driv iz gud

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

ELI6 version: Be one with the hole. Just don't put anything in it.