Let's Talk Cars

Comments

• @Tushon said:
    Agree, WRX.

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one in the world who thinks this like Commodore Clarksonian...

Hero
  • @Sonorous said:
    Maybe if it had more power. Even 50 more BHP. And less prius tires.

The point is that you can very easily push this car to its limits. As you can handle more with your ability, you can add stickier tires, better suspension, more power (if so inclined), etc.

BuddyJ
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US

The BRZ and FR-S just don't appeal to me, just like cucumbers and eggs fried over hard. I'll never buy one. I'll never think they are cool. You'll never change my mind. PRIUS TIRES! FFS!

• @Sonorous said:
    The BRZ and FR-S just don't appeal to me, just like cucumbers and eggs fried over hard. I'll never buy one. I'll never think they are cool. You'll never change my mind. PRIUS TIRES! FFS!

The original Hachi had 14" little wheels with tiny tires too. Definitely an odd compromise, but, wheels/tires are usually the first upgrade. I'd never want a WRX for similar reasons, AWD is just not my thing. Plus, everyone in the Bay Area drives 1 of 3 sports cars, effectively ruining the interestingness of them.

1. S2k
    2. WRX
    3. E46 M3
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US

I think if had to pick, I would take the s2000 and upgrade that.

• @Sonorous said:
    I think if had to pick, I would take the s2000 and upgrade that.

Helen Lovejoy says, "WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE ROD BEARINGS!?"

HeroSonorous
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan

Evo > WRX

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville with a "P"

I will take my current car, Audi R8. And I really like the balance of muscle, agility, sex and raw in your face of the Mclaren 12c for my dream car. After all it is the 458 Italia killer.

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC
    edited October 2014

I miss my S2k. Such a good car. ('05 White w/ tan interior OMGSOHAWT)

Untitled

• @Mt_Goat said:
    I will take my current car, Audi R8. And I really like the balance of muscle, agility, sex and raw in your face of the Mclaren 12c for my dream car. After all it is the 458 Italia killer.

A lot of people rag on the R8 as being a de-tuned Gallardo in a fat-suit, but, there is something greatly more significant about it. For Audi, it's an attainable, pinnacle supercar. The bloodline is directly noticeable from a bone-stock A3. Porsche tried to do this with the 959, but, due to such limited production numbers, it never worked. It was almost nearly 3 times the cost of a 930 at the time as well.

The 458 is so flamboyant, like any Dino inspired mid-engined Ferrari. I could see myself driving a 12c as it is slightly more understated than the Italian. Probably much better made as well :/. Although stupidly rare and basically unattainable the Sesto Elemento to me is like the true definition of a completely ridiculous supercar.

• @AlexDeGruven said:
    Evo > WRX

I'd try to dig up an old Lancia Delta Integrale over both of those. :P

• @BuddyJ said:
    I want to Lemon race so bad...

A lot of teams will have buy-in type deals. Literally, you'd pay like $600-800 to walk up the day of and do your stints in the car. If you wreck the car, they will typically charge you like $2000 for ruining everyone else's day. It's like an insurance premium. I have a friend who does this a lot just to get seat time and he enjoys it a lot.

• @Thrax said:
    Dream cars?

Pagani Zonda Cinque. No contest. Zonda R doesn't get the nod because it's not homologated.

Too bad not legal in the US :(

• HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero

I guess id like to get an rx8. Theres just something about rotary engines. Its elegant design i guess. I had a friend who actually built his own rotary engine, (only ordered a few parts that he couldn't fab himself). Now that would be fun!

• @XGPHero said:
    I guess id like to get an rx8. Theres just something about rotary engines. Its elegant design i guess. I had a friend who actually built his own rotary engine, (only ordered a few parts that he couldn't fab himself). Now that would be fun!

At work, there is a guy with an RX8 and it has a license plate that sums it up so well. "LOL DNF"

In all fairness, I think the the RX Mazda platforms are great that are kinda let down by the wankel. I always thought one of the best cars you could make is an FD3S with an LSX swap.

edited October 2014

the rx wankel may be famous for its short lifespan, but thats mostly due to mazda being happy with selling you replacements and therefore not worried about pumping out better quality motors. a wankel engine (If the right materials are used) can be a very reliable and durable engine. my buddy had put over 100,000 hard miles on his home made motor last time i spoke to him. of course he spent a lot of money on superior materials, and he is truely a master machinist.

that being said, i know nothing about the FD3S with an LSX swap. what makes it so great in your opinion?

EDIT: Oh, duh, FD RX7...its been a long day.

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK

@BuddyJ said:
    I miss my S2k. Such a good car. ('05 White w/ tan interior OMGSOHAWT)

That was a pretty cool car.

• @XGPHero said:
    the rx wankel may be famous for its short lifespan, but thats mostly due to mazda being happy with selling you replacements and therefore not worried about pumping out better quality motors. a wankel engine (If the right materials are used) can be a very reliable and durable engine. my buddy had put over 100,000 hard miles on his home made motor last time i spoke to him. of course he spent a lot of money on superior materials, and he is truely a master machinist.

that being said, i know nothing about the FD3S with an LSX swap. what makes it so great in your opinion?

EDIT: Oh, duh, FD RX7...its been a long day.

Yea, from what I understand there is an old secret of putting a bottle of 2-stroke oil in with gas everytime you fill up the car. Supposedly, it can effectively double the engine's lifetime (apex seals) from 60k to 120k miles. A buddy of mine has been working on his FC for a long time.

Obligatory pic...

theres also the frequently overlooked habit of red lining daily (some say it should be done every time it is driven). prevents carbon lock, and prolongs the life of the engine dramatically.

There's no such thing as a redline on a wankel engine*

Spring time was always fun at the Mazda dealership in Michigan. People towing in their RX-7s to have the apex seals freed-up. A little bit of ATF injected in through the spark plug holes and an hour to soak and things were good as new. Made a heck of a smoke plume when they fired up, too. Great stuff.

*Technically, there's a redline to any spinning mass, obviously. In the case of the rotary engine design, you run out of air/time for spark to propagate before you run into any mechanical issues related to RPM. Our Mazda rep would tell us that there's a red line on the tach because "They had to put one somewhere".

SonorousBuddyJGHoosdumRyanFodder
    edited October 2014

I understand that, but do you disagree that bringing it to redline, arbitrary or not, is beneficial?
    I'm sincerely asking, because I might be misinformed, though that idea came from a very knowledgeable person.

• @AlexDeGruven said:
    There's no such thing as a redline on a wankel engine*

Spring time was always fun at the Mazda dealership in Michigan. People towing in their RX-7s to have the apex seals freed-up. A little bit of ATF injected in through the spark plug holes and an hour to soak and things were good as new. Made a heck of a smoke plume when they fired up, too. Great stuff.

*Technically, there's a redline to any spinning mass, obviously. In the case of the rotary engine design, you run out of air/time for spark to propagate before you run into any mechanical issues related to RPM. Our Mazda rep would tell us that there's a red line on the tach because "They had to put one somewhere".

Very nicely explained. My wankel-enthusiast friends always go on and on about stories of their 12A running at 13k RPM and simultaneously melting their cat. It's a suggested marking.

• @XGPHero said:
    I understand that, but do you disagree that bringing it to redline, arbitrary or not, is beneficial?
    I'm sincerely asking, because I might be misinformed, though that idea came from a very knowledgeable person.

The other goofy thing about wankels is that they actually increase in displacement as you grow in revs. Most start at 1.3L or so and can grow to an effective displacement of 2.0L or more. Most wankels, especially big turbo ones, are basically a dog below 4.5-5k RPM. They have very little torque on average as well.

edited November 2014

Here is my R8.

Here are others I have had that I feel need mentioning.
    63 Chevy II

69 396 Chevelle SS

69 Charger R/T 440

74 Lotus Europa Special

91 Trans Am with 503 stroker I dropped in

2002 Trans Am WS6

This is what I want to drive full time!!! Can you say 10,000+ HP on CH3NO2

HeroRyanFodderGHoosdumUPSLynx

For the time being I can drool over the 12c

@XGPHero said:

As mentioned above, you're really not going to be generating any real twist until you're up in the higher ranges anyway, but I can't think of any inherent benefit to spinning up vs not, from a rotational standpoint. There is, however a benefit to a carbon-prone engine to 'blow it out' now and then. This is something that was virtually eliminated with fuel-injection, but rotaries are still prone to it, and running it hard and hot for a little bit can help with overall performance.

@doabarrellroll said:
    Very nicely explained. My wankel-enthusiast friends always go on and on about stories of their 12A running at 13k RPM and simultaneously melting their cat. It's a suggested marking.

Ha, yeah. That's the other thing I didn't think about. You push enough dirty exhaust (most rotaries are really dirty) through a cat fast enough it will cause some problems on that side of it, too.

@Mt_Goat, love that europa

edited November 2014

@XGPHero said:
    Mt_Goat, love that europa

I sure loved that car. But it was a steep learning curve going from muscle cars that just went straight to a screaming handling car at 18yo. I ended up lucky to be alive after wrapping it around a light pole 7 feet off the ground. Thus, end of poor Europa.

• @Mt_Goat said:
    Here is my R8.

Here are others I have had that I feel need mentioning.
    63 Chevy II

69 396 Chevelle SS

69 Charger R/T 440

74 Lotus Europa Special

91 Trans Am with 503 stroker I dropped in

2002 Trans Am WS6

This is what I want to drive full time!!! Can you say 10,000+ HP on CH3NO2

Those dragster engines are fascinating. The amount of flexibility they have on the fly, as well as, a 1/4 mile lifetime is amazing. Their biggest form of engine failure is hydrolocking the damn cylinder because they have SO much fuel inside. Literally, a switch of cylinder head gaskets to account for elevation, ambient temperature, air moisture, etc. Fuel pumps that deliver 2 gallons/second, upward facing open headers to create extra downforce for the rear wheels. So unbelievable.

mm, estimated 10,000 horsepower and almost literally runs on dynamite.