My Nexus 5 restarts on its own, won't connect to mobile network

oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French CanadianMontréal, Québec. Icrontian

as of this morning, this randomly happen. every 5 mins or so, it restarts on it's own.
yes i have tried to turn it off and on again.
is there anything i can do beside factory reset?

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

That's pretty annoying. Is it stock? Any new apps installed recently?

Easy thing is try to clear cache (either the bootloader method which should work on stock, I think) or the settings method listed as the first comment. both here)

• oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec. Icrontian

stock, no new apps, just some updates last night. i have very few apps on my phone, mostly regular stuff (facebook, twitter, tumblr, maybe 5 games, all roughly legit and on my phone for quite a long time now)

edited November 2014

deleted cache, rebooted the phone, still f*cking up. it's already a pain to try to shut it down since it REOPENS ON ITS OWN LIKE A GHOST-POSSESSED MACHINE OF INFAMY FROM HELL

• MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian

@oni_dels said:
    stock, no new apps, just some updates last night. i have very few apps on my phone, mostly regular stuff (facebook, twitter, tumblr, maybe 5 games, all roughly legit and on my phone for quite a long time now)

Define "roughly legit."

here's the list of apps i have:
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Messenger
    Untappd
    Tumblr
    Instagram
    Duolingo
    STM (local bus schedule app)
    Injustice Gods among us
    MinuteQuest
    Pixel Dungeon
    Orbitum
    Circle of Fifths
    Piano tiles
    OneDrive
    World Lens

that's it. most of those free games have very minimal thing/restrictions/permission they use/need, if any.

Try rebooting in safe mode (hold down power button to get menu, hold down power off in the menu and choose to reboot in safe mode) and see if it lasts longer. If it does, that tells you it is an app, not a problem with a core android process or whatever (YMMV).

If that fails, e.g. you still get a reboot pretty soon after, I'd try backing up your phone and flashing to stock (or Android 5.0, since you're wiping it anyways and Android 5.0 is pretty slick). A relatively easy backup procedure is available here, which issues the adb commands for you, but you need to have adb setup beforehand (google's guide here).

oni_dels
    edited November 2014

in safe mode it doesn't reboot, but still not finding my mobile network... (and i contacted my phone company, and they say everything is fine on their end)
    but isnt most of my data already backed up on my google account? (contacts, pictures, notes, etc...) why do a big backing up on my pc?

welp, just did a factory reset. still not finding mobile network, and just rebooted like a piece of shit it is. when i called google cust services, they redirected me to LG since i didnt bought the phone on google store.

fml.

If you did a factory reset and it is still rebooting, it's either something wrong with core software (unlikely? but you could try to flash the 5.0 OS I mentioned above) or hardware, which means you need a new phone.

oni_dels

@Tushon said:
    or hardware, which means you need a new phone.

this is most likely what's happening right now. since it's not just the rebooting, it's the "not finding mobile network".

• As far as not getting on the mobile network, you could try popping your SIM out and reseating it. I've had that fix mobile issues before on many devices.

@ardichoke said:
    As far as not getting on the mobile network, you could try popping your SIM out and reseating it. I've had that fix mobile issues before on many devices.

believe me i've tried everything. now LG is telling me to go to my carrier to give them the phone so they will send it for repair. so i lost a day of school today stuck on customer services, and now i have to lose another one to drag my ass to the mall to give them my phone, instead of shipping it myself.

• MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian

I used to have this problem with my Nexus 5. I fixed it by changing my preferred network to 3G and selecting a different carrier access point.

Give it a shot and see if it helps