limiting unexpected data usage (any ideas or possibilities please)

HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero Icrontian
edited November 2014 in Science & Tech

i just bought a hotspot for WoW use ONLY, but im worried about things like automatic updates eating up my data without my express permission. i already disabled windows automatic updates, and scheduled task updates for anything i could find that uses internet, but im sure there are lots of little things im unaware of. if anybody knows of any of these please throw them out there. nothing is too small to affect my 1.5 Gb package. TYIA

PS: im using windows 7

Comments

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

Automatic updates for Windows can be set to a number of configurations. Run Windows update and click the "change settings" link on the left side of the window. The setting you're looking for is "check for updates but let me choose whether to download or install them".

HeroErrorNullTurnip
  • HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero Icrontian
    edited November 2014

thanks, i opted for the do not check or download option. i will check manually

so i just experimented with leaving my pc idle for 20 minutes, and it used 4Mb of data with no applications running(to the best of my knowledge)

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

Couldn't you turn the hotspot off when not WoWing?

SignalErrorNullTurnip
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

^^ That would be my suggestion.

that is of course what i will (and am) doing, but when i play i can play for 8 hour sessions sometimes. i want to make sure that my data usage is as minimal as possible when i am playing

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Here is a program you could try with a free version and paid version if you like it and need more control.

HeroErrorNullTurnip

thanks, that looks like exactly what i need. downloading now