Interesting article: The future of World of Warcraft

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited November 2014 in World of Warcraft

Pretty good article in PC Gamer about WoW in general.

A couple of things that I thought were interesting:

• The idea of Arthas as a personally-relatable "human" character that people got attached to, and his death being a part of why WoW popularity declined after WotLK.
  • Deathwing as a "too big", unapproachable and too inhuman antagonist that had no relatable story
  • Garrosh as the return of a relatable, big, loveable bad guy
  • "Whenever we try to shift the audience, it's a mistake"
  • The idea that archaeology should have been removed in Mists and that the "mistake" won't happen again (e.g. removal of garrisons in future expansions)
Chooch

Comments

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian

I like the garrison. :/

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

Me too ^^.. Interesting.

• Garrisons really only make sense because of the story of this expansion. If they wanted to keep garrisons later they would have to work the story around them or just try to flub them in. I'd much rather see them drop a mechanic that doesn't make sense and come up with something new that fits the story of the new expansion.

• MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian

I like the concept of the garrison, but its made crafting professions...odd. I don't mind so far, but having to use herbs for JC is just strange. Also not being able to prospect ore.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

The meta of the garrisons is freaking awesome and I'm sure it's here to stay; we'll see this meta take on another form in another expansion, I'm sure of it.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2014

Another fun fact:

Furor was one of the most outspoken, assholish and whiny raid leaders in all of EverQuest's history.

//edit: Still not liking all that chatter about no flying mounts. We spent a lot of time and gold on it. Trying to decide if it's just a bluff, or if they're setting expectations.