Does anyone have the Note4 yet?

Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy KnobPflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
edited November 2014 in Hardware

I just upgraded from the 2 to the 4 and do like it so far. The camera is a fantastic upgrade from the Note2. The in-call noise reduction is now very good as people I am on the phone with no longer hear all the background noise on my end. The fit app is welcome and now helps keep me on track. The look and feel of the device itself is much better than any of the Notes so far and I do like what they did to replace the old cheap fake metal bezel. On screen the look of a lot of things looks rather bland and pasty to me instead of the usual colors that are no longer present. The screen is a joy to look at and make the black and white of most menus disappointing. There are several things like the clock and weather widgets that are now merged into one that I do not care for. Maybe in time I will adjust to the changes and a future software release will fix what I don't like. Overall I am happy I upgraded when I did!

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited December 2014

Does anyone have one? Or am I just sounding like a dickwad? :tim:

• NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian

Not a dickwad - I just don't think many have it here. You've got an audience from (at least what I can remember) has mostly S4/S5's and Ones

Don't be embarrassed that you're excited and happy about your new toy! We're all gadget dorks here, we know the feeling well!

edited December 2014

@NiGHTS‌

WooHoo!

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

I just want a precise stylus, finally.

While the stylus on the Note2 was 'eh kinda okayish the one that comes with the Note4 is a big leap forward. I actually use this one.

CB
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

Good to know you've had a good experience with the Note 4 so far!

I also have a Note 2 that I would like to upgrade to a Note 4 or a Note Edge, but the price is just too high ($750, $870 respectively). I'm on T-Mobile so there's no contract subsidy to cushion the blow.

For now I'll flash a new ROM on the Note 2 to make it feel fresh, replace the stylus that I just lost AGAIN, and hope that prices come down in a few months.

• @CB said:
    I just want a precise stylus, finally.

I just wish Samsung would expand the line of devices that worked with the S Pen. I bought a Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 a few months back, and I love it except for two things. No NFC and no stylus. As far as I can tell, the only tablets that are S Pen enabled are 10" and 12" models, which is far larger than I want.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

The 8" Note uses S Pen.

The problem is that it dramatically increases the cost of the display assembly because it's an actual Wacom digitizer.

• @AlexDeGruven said:
    The 8" Note uses S Pen.

The problem is that it dramatically increases the cost of the display assembly because it's an actual Wacom digitizer.

I didn't even realize there was an 8" GNote. Damn. Really though, I would expect their "Pro" line of tablets to be the ones with digitizers especially given that they're more expensive.

The Pro series are just higher-spec Tabs. The Note line is specifically for the S Pen.

• @AlexDeGruven said:
    The Pro series are just higher-spec Tabs. The Note line is specifically for the S Pen.

What if I want higher specs AND S Pen? WHAT THEN SAMSUNG?!? Jerks.

@ardichoke said:

They are playing to the broader market and keeping the price down to cover 95% of users. So you are in the fringe and want it all, too bad for you.

@ardichoke said:

Then you get the note. The Tab Pro has higher specs than a regular Tab. The Note is essentially a Tab Pro + S Pen.

• @AlexDeGruven said:
    Then you get the note. The Tab Pro has higher specs than a regular Tab. The Note is essentially a Tab Pro + S Pen.

Crap. Curse my insufficient research. Also, curse you for undermining my intentionally irrational and hyperbolic posting.

Oh, and the Tab Pro 8.4 has a far better screen (almost 2x the ppi vs Note 8.0), better SoC (Snapdragon 800 vs Exynos 4) and it runs Android 4.4 instead of 4.1.... so.... it is really not a Tab Pro + S Pen. It looks like the latest refresh of the Note tablet line did not include an 8" version, thus my earlier claim that it only came in 10/12". The only 8" Note they still sell is the 2013 specs.... and according to Samsung's website, they don't have a WiFi only version of it.

Yeah, the last refresh on the larger notes was in '13 with the '14 editions (wut?). I had the 10.1" 2014 Note and it was fabulous.