T-mobile and Poor Signal: A OnePlus One tragedy.

SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

So I got my One, it's awesome. Switched from Verizon to T-mobile and it's terrible. Inside the house I have zero network connection to T-mobile. Before I get to blaming T-mobile for their coverage map being a grand exaggeration I wanted to ask fellow One owners if they have any setup suggestions for me. I think I am going to have to get a 4g booster for the house. Or just wait until their mid 2015 infrastructure upgrade is complete and see if that helps. Really any help would be greatly appreciated.

techie50

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

I have had no problem with T-mobile on one plus one.

• midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian

Inside places here in town it can be pretty iffy, too. Really no solution besides wifi that I know of =/

• NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian

Only thing I can really think of is rooting and trying some new software - be it kernel, OS, or otherwise. Try downgrading to previous builds of CM12S, see if that helps.

Resetting APN
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-use-the-opo-on-t-mobile-usa.64071/

Sonorous
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Only thing that can affect signal strength is a different radio IMG or a better coverage.

Sonorous
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

I'll see about getting a signal booster for the house today then. Thanks guys.

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

Which firmware release are you on?

• ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian

Tmobile will provide you with a repeater for your house. I currently have one of the older 4g ones, but they have newer lte models.
    http://www.tmonews.com/2014/09/t-mobiles-new-4g-lte-signal-booster-revealed-unboxing-video/

They also have a wireless router version available for a deposit: http://www.tmonews.com/2014/09/t-mo-personal-cellspot-available-from-today/

From what I understand, the router only works if you have a device that supports wifi calling, which the One does not on t-mobile.

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

I haven't had issues with reception on the 1+1 on T-Mobile. It's actually been quite the contrary; I've gotten better service than with my older T-Mobile phones including useful 4G in the strangest places (CA high desert, inside a few blockhouses, et al.)

• ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian

The signal booster would work however. It is a mini cell tower for your house.

Sonorous
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

@drasnor said:
    I haven't had issues with reception on the 1+1 on T-Mobile. It's actually been quite the contrary; I've gotten better service than with my older T-Mobile phones including useful 4G in the strangest places (CA high desert, inside a few blockhouses, et al.)

"in spess"

• MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    edited December 2014

I too am running the OPO and T-mo.

T-mobile runs on higher frequency than most carriers - which means shorter wavelength. The wavelength of their shit is actually short enough that interior walls DO tend to interfere... so they have well-known poor indoor reception. We're kind of hoping they get to buy some lower-frequency bands here at some point (I feel like I read something on Ars about an upcoming auction, but I may have just been dreaming).

Meanwhile, wi-fi calling is actually a really good way around this. It's unfortunate that they're making it this really stupid 'lol pay to call via wifi' thing (data's data... y we no have net neutrality), but it's definitely a really strong workaround for indoor calling. Unfortunately, as you've noted, the OPO isn't supported for wifi calling on T-mo. But there is another way:

I actually did that thing where I ported my cell number to google voice, then made google voice my primary calling choice. Since hangouts and voice merged (thank god, finally), hangouts will happily use my google voice number to make calls over wifi, or data calls over 3G/LTE. I use data only for calls, therefore never use any minutes on my plan, have coverage anywhere there's wifi (including overseas), don't PAY for that wi-fi calling (as it should be), can make calls from any computer... Total = $30/mo. 10/10 would recommend.

GargUPSLynx
  • If stupid Sprint would have bought stupid Tmobile then stupid SprinTmobile would have had Softbank's resources to acquire more stupid frequency in the upcoming auctions and would have combined stupid network resources to provide a much better experience, but instead Sprint bailed and I lost a bunch of stupid speculation money on the stupid stock market.

I hope a signal booster works out for you. Tmo doesn't have a lot of money right now to acquire more spectrum.

I read that the current plan to upgrade the 2g network with LTE will all be in the 1900mhz range.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

Sprint has plenty of spectrum, they always have. Their voice coverage is just about on par with the other carriers.

Their biggest problem right now is that they don't have the backhaul (the Internet pipes to the towers).

• Try looking into getting the Callspot from T-Mobile (believe they are giving it away for free). Supposed to act like a T-Mobile cell tower (from what I've read).

• midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian

@TheRican said:
    Try looking into getting the Callspot from T-Mobile (believe they are giving it away for free). Supposed to act like a T-Mobile cell tower (from what I've read).

Okay, that's pretty cool. First time I've heard of it. Think I might be calling them up for one of these.

@midga said:
    Okay, that's pretty cool. First time I've heard of it. Think I might be calling them up for one of these.

If it is the Cellspot Asus router it will not benefit you with a OnePlus One. The One will not do Wifi calling on T-Mobile.