Music on vinyl

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian

@Karma said:
    depends on the car. But the camera equipment fuck yeah. A new camera is another thing I need but can't afford....fucking grad school.

An R8 doesn't fit in with a grad school lifestyle.

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

@Mt_Goat said:
    An R8 doesn't fit in with a grad school lifestyle.

But......

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

@redchief hooked me up with his Technics SP10 Mk2 turntable and Crown IC-150 preamp but I have no plinth to mount the tone arm and no vinyl to play :(.

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

@Gargoyle said:
    I am also a complete idiot for picture discs and colored vinyl.
    @shwaip said:
    http://www.theghostlystore.com/collections/music-vinyl/products/hohokum-soundtrack

So pretty. I've never even heard of this game and now I kind of want the soundtrack.

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian

@Gargoyle said:
    So pretty. I've never even heard of this game and now I kind of want the soundtrack.

yeah i think vinyl is dumb (sorry thread), but I own Give Up because the postal service is awesome.

Also I'd consider getting this because it looks awesome

edited December 2014

I suppose to answer @BuddyJ‌'s original question, I mostly play the same few things in my record player:

• The Clash - Radio Clash EP
    • Deltron 3030 - Positive Contact (white vinyl, Dogfish Head pack-in with tasty beer of same name)
    • Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass - Whipped Cream and Other Delights
    • James Brown - Soul Classics
    • Bob Marley and the Wailers - Legend (best of) (cheezy tricolor Jamaican flag vinyl with hemp slipcover)

Jeez, dat line spacing.

MiracleManSBuddyJ
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian

@shwaip said:
    Also I'd consider getting this because it looks awesome

ps i hella bought this

Garg
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

@Gargoyle said:
    I suppose to answer BuddyJ‌'s original question

Oh yeah, forgot about that... Right now Pink Floyd's The Endless River, soon to be followed by Foo Fighters Sonic Highways and Pearl Jam's Lightning Bolt

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

I just tracked down the limited release Pretty. Odd. by Panic! At the Disco. What have I become? :zombie:

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

I listened to Nick Mason Fictitious Sports while Minecrafting last night

Digging through my crates to find some Christmas music. Have a few different albums but came across a gem; the Care Bears Christmas. I know what will be playing Christmas morning.

Currently rocking Foreigner Head Games and the Star Wars sound track ready to go.

-Digi

Garg

I've bought three albums since my last post. @BuddyJ always finds ways to inspire me to spend money.

BuddyJ

I am not a big fan of buying modern music on vinyl. Because it's all recorded digitally, mastered digitally, and then digitally inscribed into the vinyl. So I just see digital music being the medium for contemporary music. I am all about matching the way something is mastered and recorded with the medium for which I listen to it.

BobbyDigiMt_Goat

@Karma said:
    I am not a big fan of buying modern music on vinyl. Because it's all recorded digitally, mastered digitally, and then digitally inscribed into the vinyl. So I just see digital music being the medium for contemporary music. I am all about matching the way something is mastered and recorded with the medium for which I listen to it.

Check out Lazaretto if you like Jack White. All analog, plus several gimmicks that only work on vinyl. I just ordered it earlier today, so I'm looking forward to giving it a listen soon.

That said, I'd buy chiptune on vinyl. I'm all about mashing up formats probably don't belong together.

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited December 2014

Thursday evening I had a blues moment and listened to Robin Trower "Bridge of Sighs", Muddy Waters and Johnny Winter. Tonight I started with The Alan Parsons Project "Amonia Avenue", then went on to Triumvirat "Spartacus" and finished with several hours of Moody Blues.

GargBuddyJCliff_Forster
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited December 2014

I find the science of sound very fascinating. I think a great deal of what has harmed digital music is the dynamic compression techniques to make a recording play louder overall while trading that range of dynamics. Assuming the Vinyl recording is from an analog master you typicaly put all that dynamic range back.

I wish I could find it but I remember seeing this old interview with Lindsey Buckingham talking about how the first CD release of Rumors basically destroyed the listening experience. He was so ashamed of it that he was prepared to take the publisher to court over it. He pointed out all the missing details, the mangled dynamic range and other flaws. He just couldn't see a future for digital music and he predicted that in time people would gravitate back to analog because of its preservation of the total audible picture. Many years later we are seeing a little enthusiast movement for vinyl that is exciting to me. I think it is fantastic.

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

I originally built my own phono stage, and was planning to bump up to the DIY tube version. My favorite LPs were MFSL Dark Side of the Moon, MFSL Aqualung, Thick as a Brick with the original fold-out newspaper, De-Loused in the Comatorium pressed on silver 180g vinyl, Beatles White Album (not numbered), and Weezer Maladroit on red vinyl.

I would only listen through a pair of Sennheisers. Forgot the model, but I know they cost me a pretty penny. Alas, all is gone. My budget is geared more towards family purchases. Perhaps when the nest is empty I will revisit my passion.

BuddyJMt_GoatCliff_Forster
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

I remember waaaaaaaaay back in the day, mid 80s, I was big on 12" singles. I had Chaka Khan, New Edition, Newcleus, Grandmaster Flash, Sugarhill Gang, and so many others. I used to think I was a scratch DJ, but I mostly just scratched my records.

RyderMt_GoatJBoogalooGarg
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

The 12" singles especially the imports were highly sought after, at times. They were also some of the best mixes.

JBoogaloo

I'd say this is mostly a result of most people listening to music through crappy speakers or headphones, and crappy bitrates. SO audio engineers had to compensate somehow.

• @Karma - I think that is part of it. I think the dynamic compression appeals to a less critical listener that just wants it to come through loud on his/her six dollar earbuds.

edited December 2014

@Cliff_Forster said:
    Karma - I think that is part of it. I think the dynamic compression appeals to a less critical listener that just wants it to come through loud on his/her six dollar earbuds.

Almost definitely. THere are really two paths to listen to music, 1) the "expensive ass"* audiphile way where everything sounds amazing. or 2) Just wanna listen to music don't really care all that much about how said music sounds.

problem is group 2 is far more popular. Gotta cater to them. Some people don't even want to have 320 KBPS mp3s. and 190Kbps is the most common size. Sucks.

*Doesn't actually have to be expensive.

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited December 2014

Speaking of vinyl, I just found Turntable Kitchen today. One of the more interesting subscription services I've ever seen... they send you a 7" vinyl, digital mix tape, some ingredients, recipes and tasting notes every month. Curious.

mertesnGarg
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

@Karma said:
    Almost definitely. There are really two paths to listen to music, 1) the expensive ass audiophile way where everything sounds amazing. or 2) Just wanna listen to music don't really care all that much about how said music sounds.

You forgot group 3: Those who care about how their music sounds, can't afford the expensive stuff, goes for the best price/performance they can afford, and makes do with what they have.

Cliff_ForsterMt_Goat
  • Part of it is driven by convince. I carry a massive library of music in my pocket, and that is cool, it has its place. I'm walking a treadmill, my high bitrate mp3 over $50 workout headphones is alright. It gets it done, and the convenience is cool. I'm not totally knocking it. I just wish more listeners felt like there was enough room for both experiences. The on the go, I'm just gonna bust out a few tunes mode and the more relaxed I'm at home with a drink and I want to play an entire album from cover to cover and just relax and actually listen to it.

The funny thing about expense though. You don't have to spend gobs of money to get solid performing audio gear. I mean high end tube amps and speakers with fancy ring or ribbon radiator tweeters are cool, and the expensive stuff does sound phenomenal, but if your listening environment is a reasonable space, you can buy a $300 pair of bookshelf speakers and a good $300 or so well designed solid state stereo receiver, get a turntable and you are going to have a pretty good experience. I could build a pretty kick ass audio system with great CD and vinyl playback for under a grand and the neat thing about it is that the turntable is the only thing that is going to need some maintenance. Well made solid state amps and CD players can go twenty years. A pair of speakers that are not abused can sound fantastic for nearly a lifetime if they are fed properly. I think that audiophile dream of the most expensive high end gear skews the perception of what it costs for a good solid detailed playback.

edited December 2014

@Cliff_Forster‌ You can get a headphone amp and a pair of really good headphones for under 200 bucks. I would never say expense is what holds people back. It's either not knowing or just not caring. It's funny though because if Beats have taught us anything people are willing to spend money on high-end headphones. They don't seem as willing to get better source audio.

Cliff_Forster
  • And Beats are more about a perception of status and image than audio. No wonder Apple purchased the brand.