Bottle vs. Draft

Do you have a preference?

Does your opinion change based on the price?

Keeping it simple, it's my first time. :-)

AlexDeGruven

Comments

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

Draft, especially if it's local.

Just something about getting it from the taps. Beats all other delivery methods.

vaderisahottie
  • HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero Icrontian
    edited December 2014

for me its always been a case by case basis. although for most beers i prefer draft, there are a couple that i just prefer out of a bottle. i prefer budweiser out of a bottle, for example, and i cant really say why. heineken, bass, and a few others, but i always prefer craft beers to be draft. when i can find them that is. :beer:

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

In that case, I change my vote to cans.

vaderisahottie
  • I'm hilarious!!!

edited December 2014

im drinking one of them new fangled beers right now...i believe the hipsters call it a pibber...
    dont judge me

• NullenVoydNullenVoyd Orlandish Icrontian

I must say I really prefer bottles, because after drinking the liquid you can then eat the glass.

Now, if they finally perfected a way to get bottle shards to pour out with the beer via draft, I would be all for it. It would certainly be a better option than having to cram the bottle in my mouth and then hit my face with a hammer until the glass was sufficiently edible.

... but that's me.

vaderisahottie
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

Did you mean draught? If so, then yes absolutely.

• @XGPHero said:
    im drinking one of them new fangled beers right now...i believe the hipsters call it a pibber...
    dont judge me

I don't judge, ever. I have drank every beer......... ok realistically not all, but a good majority. PBR and Miller Lite were the first two beers I tried. I was under the age of 7. :-)

• @NullenVoyd said:
    I must say I really prefer bottles, because after drinking the liquid you can then eat the glass.

Now, if they finally perfected a way to get bottle shards to pour out with the beer via draft, I would be all for it. It would certainly be a better option than having to cram the bottle in my mouth and then hit my face with a hammer until the glass was sufficiently edible.

... but that's me.

@NullenVoyd,

Do you like razor blades in your bourbon? If so, I think I know you!

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited December 2014

• Per this man, Bottle defeats tornado, so that is stronger than a draft. Bottle wins....
    vaderisahottie
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited December 2014

@XGPHero said:
    budweiser

@XGPHero said:
    pibber...
    dont judge me

I'm judging. Believe me, I'm judging ;D

vaderisahottieAlexDeGruvenmaliaTushon
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian

I prefer from the tap, especially if they got that cooler set to near freezing.

• georgehgeorgeh Canton, MI Icrontian

Here's my thoughts on the advantages of bottles vs draft/draught at a bar:

Bottles:

• Don't have to worry about dirty draft lines (pretty common once you start looking for it)
    • Wider selection
    • Guaranteed to have the carbonation level that the brewer intended

Draft:

• Probably fresher
    • More likely (but not guaranteed) to get a full 16 oz pint
    • No bottle-conditioning yeast at the bottom
    • Access to draft-only beers you won't find in stores

If I see the same beer on draft and in a bottle I'm ordering it on draft, since it's probably fresher and I'll get more. As I've said before, glassware is a moot point since you shouldn't be drinking beer straight from the bottle/can (except Heady). And I'll go to the mat for cans, since they have all the advantages of bottles and they won't get light-struck (skunked) from being in clear glass storage (I'm looking at you, Box Bar in Plymouth).

vaderisahottie

@mertesn said:

but...$0.50 per can... i dont always drink the cheap stuff...look! i have a badge! :shake: i need a beer.

Mad Tree in Cincinnati is exclusively cans, they don't do bottles at all, and it is tasty.

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited December 2014

@XGPHero said:
    but...$0.50 per can...

:tim:

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian
    edited December 2014

@d3k0y said:
    Mad Tree in Cincinnati is exclusively cans, they don't do bottles at all, and it is tasty.

I love Psycopathy. Actually have a poster of that beer can design on my wall. Also a sixer in the fridge.

I've become a huge fan of cans recently...easier less stressful transport and takes up less room in my fridge. Definitely better for cabrewing and they crumple down for recycling.

@mertesn said:
    @mertesn said:
    :tim:

you guys are jerks! :bawl:

mertesn
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian

@vaderisahottie said:
    AlexDeGruven‌, there is a brewer out in Los Angeles that you might enjoy. The beer is called Pabst Blue Ribbon. I believe it is still new to the market but receiving decent reviews. ;-)

I heard it won an award once

yeah see! i drink award winning beer! joking aside though, i obviously prefer a good craft brew, and im particularly fond of heavy beers, but sometimes i just want to have a few beers to relax, and when i do, a cheap beer works just as well as a good beer. and if im gaming, i mostly dont even taste what im drinking after a certain point so ill go with the cheapest beer possible... so in summation i typically like to have at least 2 different beers in my fridge. a cheap beer (typically PBR or budweiser), and a good beer(currently humboldt brewing co. Hemp Ale and Shiner Wild Hare)

vaderisahottie
  • aspieRommelaspieRommel Icrontic politico Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

@vaderisahottie said:
    AlexDeGruven‌, there is a brewer out in Los Angeles that you might enjoy. The beer is called Pabst Blue Ribbon. I believe it is still new to the market but receiving decent reviews. ;-)

Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR) has been around for years. It's mostly a beer that a lot of "country folk" (like me) will drink, but it has now started to creep into the "hipster" market.

• NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian

That stuff's been hipster for years now, at least out west.

@NiGHTS said:
    That stuff's been hipster for years now, at least out west.

Everywhere man it's hipster beer everywhere. 2 dollars and better than Milwaukee beast.

edited December 2014

i think it has something to do with the fact that a true hipster doesnt have any money, so PBR is the besyt they can afford, and in true hipster form, they pass it off as a trendy choice, not one of necessity. calling it pibber is how they pass it off as such. i drink PBR for a cost reasons, but i dont try to pass it off as cool. and when i have a choice i will always pick a craft beer. i used to love going to Vons and getting their pick your own six pack deal. it was always an adventure, and even though some of the beers where completely undrinkable(one really foolish moment of trying a blueberry beer comes to mind) but most of the time i ended up discovering a beer or two that i really enjoyed.

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited December 2014

PBR used to be the free pitcher they would give you with an all you can eat steamed crab "deal". I swear it would come off the tap in a sort of pale orange color. It was never particularly great. I have not had one in years so I can't say if it has improved a bit.

I know Natty Boh was apparently a nice canned cheap adjunct brew when it was done in Brewers Hill in Baltimore. Years ago when I first drank some they were doing it in Chesapeake VA and it tasted like bay water (which isn't a compliment) but it was better than Bud Light for a 30 pack to pair in a crab feast. Now Pabst brews Natty Boh in Milwaukee and while that is somewhat painful to our regional pride I have to say the beer is many times better. It's crisper, it does not smell like bay water, it's an okay can of cheap beer to eat a Dog with at the ballgame. Nothing fancy but it is okay for what it is.

I'd love to find the jerk that took Rolling Rock from Latrobe and started brewing it in St. Louis. They ruined a good inexpensive regional brew for us. I used to buy 18 pack cans of Rolling Rock for about $10, and it was a serviceable pale easy drinking beer when they brewed it in Latrobe. From St. Louis every Rolling Rock I have tried has been skunk brew. It tastes like it has been aging in the bottle for about two years.

Not all cheap brew is bad, just most of it is....

@Cliff_Forster‌ I believe that Rolling Rock was owned by InBev not exactly a small time operation. It is also brewed in New Jersey not St. Louis.

Cliff_Forster
  • @aspieRommel said:

I was being a smart ass, :-) just teasing him.

• @Karma - I just know the InBev purchased the brand they moved the brewery and ruined it. I thought they moved it to St. Louis but I stand corrected.

edited December 2014

Personally I am a fan of wheat beers (I like how crisp they are), so I tend to stick with Blue Moon, Sam Adams, or Linenkugel. Also I haven't tried the PycHOPathy yet, I don't care much for hoppy beers.