i need electronics assistance...can anyone help?

HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero Icrontian

i am in planning stages for my halloween costume next year, and although i cant get into too many details(at least not in general forum posts as the costume is supposed to be super secret) i can provide necessary info for some basic questions i have like current draw, required wire gauges, and possible connectors. its just been sooo long since my high school electronics class.

Comments

• RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian

I would advise putting what info out that you can; there is not enough info to help here.

• HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero Icrontian

k, well i plan to use LE wire, multiple lights (led most likely) and i hope to add a small voice amplifier or "changer" depending on time constraints. the biggest thing im trying to plan for is ease of disconnect from the power source which will be hidden in a separate part of the costume using some kind of hose or pipe for hiding the actual purpose of the connection. trying to make sure that these items can be put on and taken off with the most ease, im really hoping there is some kind of small power coupling that can be coupled no matter what rotation. even being able to be twisted or spun if i decide to uses a screw on means of connecting the pipe/hose. i hope thats not to cryptic. any advice on the mentioned couplings, as well as power supply needs and wire gauges would be awesome. also, would i be able to have a single power source for all of these? if you need more specifics, i would be willing to PM anyone who can help, in the hopes that that would maintain secrecy and minimize clues on the main forum.

• RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2014

i thought of something like that(only because its a pretty common automotive connector) but you cant twist/spin the 2 connectors independently...which in turn means you have to align the connectors to connect them which presents a problem for my build. imagine the part in question needs to rotate freely, and potentially many turns. the connector would need to be able to do that as well.

EDIT: im looking for ideal applications now, so that as the build progresses, i have fewer situations where i have to settle for something less. that being said, that connector will probably be my plan B.

Ok, so i suddenly realize what the "coax" part of coax cable means...i think. anyways, assuming i only need 2 wires from the power source to the various powered accessories, a non threaded coaxial connector should do the trick. now to find one.

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

You might look at all the wearable prototyping options at SparkFun for some ideas: https://www.sparkfun.com/categories/204
    The kind of twisting/spinning thing you're describing sounds like a slip ring commutator. They're kind of expensive though: http://www.adafruit.com/category/230

Hero

it doesnt actually have to spin, but if it could mechanically do so, thats what i need. like a 1/4" audio connector, or coax connector. i just need to be able to plug it in with obstructed vision, and little to no feeling in my hands.

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian

Be aware that coax needs threaded connection. Part of the circuit flows through the connector, IIRC. SO that needs to be securely fastened in place. You can buy male-male connectors for coax, and each end will take a female connector, threaded one. The female connectors allow cable to rotate if crimped right, that male-male connector does not. You will probably need a coax crimping tool, and a coax stripper tool, to get the coax connected right.

The trick is to connect your coax right, then use leads that are loose inside your swivel connector, somehow. So, you want connectors that are small enough to not bind inside your swivel connection or let the leads go intact without connection in swivel connector. Best of luck.

Hero

if coax need to be threaded, and it looked to be the case last night, then maybe the 1/4" audio jack would do the trick.

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian

For low wattage and low voltage stuff, yes, audio plug jack might work.

Hero

cool, so then thats one question resolved, i suppose i need to figure out exactly what lights, and voice amp im going to use, so that hopefully someone can help me determine the overall current draw, as well as whether or not i could run 1 power source to the appliance, and split it to power the individual components. ill get back when i have a full component list.

you guys have provided me with enough information that i feel comfortable tackling this now. im going to take a methodical approach, prototyping the most basic circuits, and then modifying them one function at a time, until it works the way i want it and can be installed. so if down the road i have any specific questions, you guys may see me bump this thread for a revisit. thanks guys!

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian

coax defines the cable not the connector. coax cable with a BNC connector seems like it will do what you want

one issue with the audio plug is that it will come apart very easy, disabling your costume.

Hero
    edited December 2014

the connector will not be holding itself in place, a pipe or hose will be doing that job, the pipe/hose has two jobs; hold the connection in place, and hide the electrical lines running from one part to another part of my costume. also allowing the two pieces to be detached from each other.

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian

cool

• midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian

Magnets are awesome for quick connect/disconnect situations.

Hero

oh good idea, i do actually have something that that will be useful for, thanks!

midga