Holiday beers

aspieRommelaspieRommel Icrontic politicoIndianapolis, IN Icrontian

Well, Christmas is upon us, and that means one thing: Christmas themed beers. I tried a "Christmas beer" the other day called "Jelly of the Month Christmas Ale" from Two Deep brewing Co. (Yes, that is their name.) and I didn't like it. But it got me to thinking, have any of you had a holiday themed (not necessarily Christmas) beer? If so, which ones do you like and which ones do you not like? I look forward to hearing the responses.

aspieRommel

GargvaderisahottieCliff_Forster

Comments

• georgehgeorgeh Canton, MI Icrontian

Great Lakes' Christmas Ale is always what I think of when I think Christmas beer, but I think my favorite is Jolly Pumpkin's Noel de Calabaza.

Trader Joe's Anniversary Ale is a steal at $5/bottle too, it's brewed by Unibroue, who are better known for La Fin Du Monde.

Gargvaderisahottie
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited December 2014

@georgeh said:
    Great Lakes' Christmas Ale is always what I think of when I think Christmas beer, but I think my favorite is Jolly Pumpkin's Noel de Calabaza.

These are excellent choices. I'm not sure I'll be able to get Great Lakes' Christmas Ale this year now that my favorite beer store in town closed, but I still have a couple bottles of 2012 and 2013 in case of beer emergency. Another place in town has Noel de Calabaza on draft, so I may have to endure the winter months that way.

Trader Joe's Anniversary Ale is a steal at $5/bottle too, it's brewed by Unibroue, who are better known for La Fin Du Monde.

I did not know that. Wish we had a TJ's around here!

vaderisahottie
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

I wasn't a huge fan of the Noel, but I love the Oro and will usually pick one up whenever I see one at the store.

I used to really love Sam Adams' Winter Lager, but they changed the recipe a few years ago so that it's now just a slightly heartier Boston Lager. It's good, but it's not what I remember the first time I tried it. Dark, heavy, spicy, and malty.

Most of the beers I gravitate toward (Stouts, porters, tripels, etc) tend to work well for winter/holiday drinking, anyway.

Cliff_Forstervaderisahottie
  • Troegs- The Mad Elf Holiday Ale. I'm a big stout girl, but this is pretty yummy. ABV is 11% and definitely sweet. Ages nicely and has a pretty smooth finish. It is a 'one at time' kinda beer for me though.

Cliff_ForsterGarg
  • @aspieRommel said:
    I tried a "Christmas beer" the other day called "Jelly of the Month Christmas Ale" from Two Deep brewing Co.

I need to try this!!!

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

Stella Artois, now and forever.

Cliff_Forster
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited December 2014

I purchased a holiday variety pack from Sam Adams. My Dad's official review of "White Christmas"....

"I hope you didn't buy a lot of this son, it tastes like Santa washed his dirty red and green socks in it."

vaderisahottiedrasnorGarg
  • @AlexDeGruven said:
    I used to really love Sam Adams' Winter Lager, but they changed the recipe a few years ago so that it's now just a slightly heartier Boston Lager. It's good, but it's not what I remember the first time I tried it. Dark, heavy, spicy, and malty.

Completely agree with you about the Winter Lager. Not sure why they changed the recipe.

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited December 2014

I'm not big on nutmeg and cinnamon spice in my beer personally. I like Heavy Sea's Winter Storm Ale as a winter seasonal. It is about a 50 IBV so hopped well without being obnoxiously bitter, yet it is really well balanced with rich chocolate malts to add a little extra body and sweetness that tends to make for decent cold weather brew without all the weirdness of Grandma's fruitcake.

http://www.hsbeer.com/beer/winter-storm/

Garg