Ulysses' Bucket List

KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it.KCMO Icrontian
edited December 2014 in Lifestyle

The title may sound strange, but it comes from a story on Reddit that is, at least to me, incredibly inspiring.

The TL;DR is: a guy met a girl that asked him a favor, and that favor came to define much of what he has become as an adult. The favor she asked is a simple, but elegant way to expand ones horizons. With the new year fast approaching, bringing with it, it's own new horizons I have a request of my own.

Icrontic, “Tell me something you have done, or want to do, that you think I should do? It can be anything, as challenging as you want it to be, or as easy. As long as you give me the rest of my life to complete it, I promise I will do it..” and I'll return the favor in kind.

Heroprimesuspectvaderisahottie

Comments

• CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian

Become the 45th president of the United States of America.

Go
    midga
  • I don't know how long you have been in roughly the same place in the world, but in case it has been a while, I suggest moving somewhere radically different.

• KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian

@Canti said:
    Become the 45th president of the United States of America.

Go

Become the vice president to the 45th president of the United States of America. Yes I'm asking you to be my running mate.

• CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian

Koreish
    Canti
    "Change we can believe in and all that shit"

• HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero Icrontian
    edited December 2014

get your name/picture on the wall of a pub/restaurant for completing some kind of eating or drinking challenge. as for me, I'm currently trying to finish the full beer list at a bar in long beach, more than 150 beers, and I'd like to do the blazin challenge at buffalo wild wings.

So what would you challenge me with?

PS: Great post!

• KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian

@PirateNinja you should go sky diving at least once.

@XGPHero you should dive along the great barrier reef.

• Have done so :D

Koreish
  • I found this article today.

http://www.dumblittleman.com/2009/06/39-ways-to-live-and-not-merely-exist.html

I will get a passport. I'm determined to travel, even if I have two young children. I have decided, before I turn forty (four and a half years from now) I will go to Europe.

• LeahVoiceLeahVoice Hobgoblin of Good Grooming Ferndale, MI Icrontian

Of course people are going to tell you that you should travel, climb mountains, challenge your mind, exert your body and expand your spirit, but I'm here to tell you that what you really need to do is find a signature scent. I suggest starting with classic men's colognes and/or basic essential oil combinations.

Koreish
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

@vaderisahottie said:
    I found this article today.

http://www.dumblittleman.com/2009/06/39-ways-to-live-and-not-merely-exist.html

I will get a passport. I'm determined to travel, even if I have two young children. I have decided, before I turn forty (four and a half years from now) I will go to Europe.

I just got my passport in June. An easy way to get your first stamp is to come to an Icrontic event at ICHQ and take a quick trip into Canada. Several of us did this at Expo this year. Good times.

LeahVoicevaderisahottie
  • @mertesn said:
    I just got my passport in June. An easy way to get your first stamp is to come to an Icrontic event at ICHQ and take a quick trip into Canada. Several of us did this at Expo this year. Good times.

This is amazing!!!! How often are the events and when is the Expo? I thought about coming to the Halloween party.

• HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero Icrontian
    edited January 2015

@vaderisahottie‌,

Expo Icrontic (#EPIC - 12th Annual Week) 24-28 June 2015 The big one! Scheduled events from Wednesday night to Sunday morning.

you can also go to 2015 Icrontic Events to see the full schedule of events

• @XGPHero said:
    vaderisahottie‌,

Expo Icrontic (#EPIC - 12th Annual Week) 24-28 June 2015 The big one! Scheduled events from Wednesday night to Sunday morning.

you can also go to 2015 Icrontic Events to see the full schedule of events

25th is my birthday. Maybe I'll come up as a gift to myself! Lol :-)

Also, thank you for the info!!

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

This makes me think about two things.

First, you sound like you need to take big, life-changing risks that redefine your comfort zone. Realize that you have gigantic safety nets all around you; you're not going to end up homeless not matter how bad the adventure goes. So go try something where failure would be extremely uncomfortable. I don't mean "go mountain climbing and then come home and feel inspired for a month." I mean change your paradigm. I think @PirateNinja's advice is a great first step: move to another region. Find an opportunity that makes you raise an eyebrow, but then say "Fuck it, I'll live" and take it.

Second, this guy is outsourcing his goals. If that appeals to you and gives you purpose, great. Personally, I like controlling my own destiny. I don't set particular goals, but I do clearly articulate in my mind opportunities that come my way, and make conscious decisions about them. I made a decision not to buy a house a dozen times before I decided to. The point is to recognize all your opportunities and vote them up or down consciously rather than ignoring them - even if they make you super uncomfortable to consider - and then revisit them again later. Future you will want something else.

And so my challenge would be: Find an opportunity you have right now that would completely shift your world and make you uncomfortable and pursue it for as long as it makes sense to.

Worked for me, anyway.

vaderisahottieUPSLynxHeroKoreish
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

If one of your bucket list items is trying various ethnic cuisines, any ICHQ event is going to be helpful. @primesuspect can give you a huge list of places that will be excellent introductions to almost anything you want to try.

• PacifistoPacifisto Turnip Extraordinaire Michigan Icrontian

@mertesn said:
    If one of your bucket list items is trying various ethnic cuisines, any ICHQ event is going to be helpful. primesuspect can give you a huge list of places that will be excellent introductions to almost anything you want to try.

I can vouch for that. I only made it to one event, but it was my introduction to both Thai and sushi. Loved 'em both.

primesuspectLinc