learning a second (or third?) language

2»

Comments

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga

So @trooster89‌ after all that work learning it, did you at least watch Incubus?

• trooster89trooster89 Are you from London?

@Karma I just looked that up on youtube. Yikes, no wonder it was lost for so long...

oni_dels
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA

I like Duolingo for Spanish review, but they never added the really interesting languages to me. I study Mandarin and Arabic as a serious hobby. What works for me is taking an in-person class or traveling.

It's good to see Duolingo took out the obnoxious mechanic of hearts (3 strikes). Maybe they're also overcoming their systemic problem of relying on literal, word-for-word translations, which is why a Chinese<->English program is unachievable so far.

@XGPHero said:
    from what i understand, esperanto is also supposed to make it easier to learn other languages

Just be aware it draws from Western languages more than others.

Its biggest benefit is you'd be part of the worldwide community of other people who inexplicably like studying Esperanto. Good for couchsurfing, but like Klingon it'll never be mainstream.

oni_dels
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI

@oni_dels found this awesome thing: Katakana rendered with English phonemes built into the typeface (I didn't see any mention of Hiragana)

oni_delsEMT
  • oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec.

sadly the font isn't released yet... but don't worry i'll be on the lookout

• Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN

Seriously, no Japanese.....

oni_dels

@Creeperbane2 said:
    Seriously, no Japanese.....

Not on that website. I'd suggest visiting your local librairy, and go in the dictionnary section (or ask someone). That's what i did when i was a teen pationnate about japanese culture and roms being released earlier in japanese...
    Get the beginers guide to travel, and look for a book called "japanese in manga" or something like that. That one easily teaches you the writting and the pronounciation, from elementary school level. (I'm not home right now so i'll look up the exact title later and post it here with pictures.)
    I know i also had to import from England a Kanji dictionary, one of the best, alegedly.

• Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN

@oni_dels thank you good sir I shall keep that in mind.

@Creeperbane2 here's the link to Japanese in Mangaland' wiki page. those book helped me the most when i started to learn japanese writing (and speaking). There's lesson books and exercise books with activities. you can easily order them at your local bookstore / library (do these thing still exist or have they disappear like blockbusters??)
    i also highly recommend getting Kanji & Kana if you plan on learning more about Japanese writing system.

頑張って!

Creeperbane2
    edited June 2015

interesting way to learn how to write chinese.

• LadyChickenLadyChicken Chicken Tender Marshall, Michigan

I need to use Duolingo to get my French back. I've been SUCKING at it lately.

oni_dels
  • GuppyGuppy Warren, MI

Still no Polish.

Estimated launch: 12/8/17

Russian soon though.

Estimated launch: 8/9/15

oni_dels

@Mercantile519 said:
    I need to use Duolingo to get my French back. I've been SUCKING at it lately.

if you need someone to practice, don't hesitate!

• HumerusMegHumerusMeg Something, something medical professional, Fitness bitch, Sexy chef Austin

@primesuspect said:
    oni_dels found this awesome thing: Katakana rendered with English phonemes built into the typeface (I didn't see any mention of Hiragana)

Ahh so awesome, miss Japanese. Studied for 3 years in HS and I feel like I have lost most of it. However, I should have learned Spanish or ASL as I need both of those on a daily basis... Slowly learning both now

oni_dels
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH

For serious languages I wouldn't mind learning German, Japanese or Russian.

For less serious languages, or at least less serious at learning them I always thought it would be awesome to learn Cherokee, sign language or more Latin.

oni_dels

@d3k0y said:
    For serious languages I wouldn't mind learning German, Japanese or Russian.

german is fun. i still learn it on the go-to (with apps and books).
    japanese, you lose it rapidly if you don'T practice often...
    and for Rouski, it's, well... peculiar. pronounciation is odd sometime, very gutural, deep, but also weirdly smooth sometimes (rolled R's). i only remember basic greetings and numbers...

• LadyChickenLadyChicken Chicken Tender Marshall, Michigan

@oni_dels said:
    if you need someone to practice, don't hesitate!

Merci beaucoup! Je n'ai jamais été très habile en français quand je suis au clavier. C'est plutôt durant les conversations avec mes professeurs que je suis lente a traduire mes pensées. Aussi, j'ai perdu beaucoup de ma mémoire de conjugaison masculin/féminin.

It's really frustrating because I used to be SO SO fluent. I considered French my first language. And I've slowly been losing that fluency :(