The homebrew thread

Comments

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

About 72F. Room temperature. It's on the low side of the optimum range so I might move it to a warmer spot.

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

You probably are totally aware, but just in case- careful when fermenting and brewing with Brett and sour yeast. That stuff is aggressive as hell and will infect everything else you've got if not cleaned and handled properly. Just ask The Bruery about how to ruin entire batches of stuff.

georgehmertesn

I remember you telling me about The Bruery's issues and I'm keeping that in mind. It's being done in a glass carboy (should be easier to get everything out later) that is separated from the others.

Bottled both meads yesterday and stuck four of the cherry chipotle ones in the fridge. Tried it last night. This recipe is going to happen again. And again. And again.

• georgehgeorgeh Canton, MI Icrontian

Is that a vent hood for your propane burner?

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

THat's fucking magical @MAGIC‌

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited January 2015

@georgeh said:
    Is that a vent hood for your propane burner?

I use natural gas. The ghetto hood I use to exhaust the evaporation outside. Without it the brewing smell lingers around the house for weeks.

@Karma said:
    THat's fucking magical MAGIC‌

Thanks, I've been meaning to weld up a stand so I'm not balancing 10 gallons of boiling liquid on buckets... just haven't gotten round it.

• SignalSignal Icrontian

Where do you get a natural gas turkey fryer? I've been looking everywhere for that!

@MAGIC said:
    Thanks, I've been meaning to weld up a stand so I'm not balancing 10 gallons of boiling liquid on buckets... just haven't gotten round it.

The day it falls is the day it gets built. I guarantee it.

MAGIC
    edited January 2015
  • SignalSignal Icrontian
    edited January 2015

Testing the waters of home brewing with loaned hardware. Bought an extract kit: Bavarian Hefewienzen It's been fermenting since Friday. This is fun. Sadly the heavenly malt smell that filled my house is completely gone now.

georgeh
  • HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero Icrontian

its also possible to purchase propane to natural gas conversion kits for propane appliances. it usually just requires replacing the nozzles.

@Signal said:
    Testing the waters of home brewing with loaned hardware. Bought an extract kit: Bavarian Hefewienzen It's been fermenting since Friday. This is fun. Sadly the heavenly malt smell that filled my house is completely gone now.

Pay attention to fermentation temps with that yeast. They like to ferment warmer.

@Signal said:
    Sadly the heavenly malt smell that filled my house is completely gone now.

This is easily solved. Buy equipment and brew lots.

• SignalSignal Icrontian

@MAGIC said:
    Pay attention to fermentation temps with that yeast. They like to ferment warmer.

So is it going to harm anything if it gets too cold. Also, how cold is too cold? The yeast said 65-75. However, with winter, my house is around 65-68, during the day it drops to 60 because bills. Will this harm the final product or just give me a slower fermentation?

@mertesn said:
    This is easily solved. Buy equipment and brew lots.

Funny you should mention that. Some guy was getting rid of a kegerator on my work's classifieds for free. ...so tomorrow I'll have that. I was just supposed to be trying this out.

edited January 2015

@Signal‌ It won't harm anything but it will take longer and produce a different taste than the warmer ferm temps. Plenty of info on this online.

I like Palmer.

Edit: When I say a different flavor this is a strand of yeast that will produce a clovery taste when fermented below 73 degrees and a banna-y taste when above 73.

@Signal said:
    Funny you should mention that. Some guy was getting rid of a kegerator on my work's classifieds for free. ...so tomorrow I'll have that. I was just supposed to be trying this out.

Fermentation runs a few degrees warmer than ambient so you should be okay. When wort gets too cold or hot during fermentation the stress on the yeast can cause them to produce several flavors that are not desirable.

• SignalSignal Icrontian

@MAGIC said:
    Fermentation runs a few degrees warmer than ambient so you should be okay. When wort gets too cold or hot during fermentation the stress on the yeast can cause them to produce several flavors that are not desirable.

I've seen where some people have put the fermentation bucket in a tub with an aquarium heater. I might try that for my next batch after I get this bottled.

Also, it's hard to find help moving a fridge across town in sub-zero weather.

@MAGIC said:

The bigger issue when it comes to yeast and beer in general is temperature swings. Keeping a constant temp is the best thing for yeast. Within reason obviously don't try fermenting at 95 degrees.

This is more for signal than you Magic. I know how stressful that first brew can be so trying to ease his mind as much as possible.

georgeh
    edited January 2015

@Signal‌ the temperature you ferment at really depends on the beer. Basically only if you're trying to get some belgian yeast flavors is it important/desirable to have the higher temperature.

oni_delsSignal

Pretty sure the sour cider is done fermenting. It's sitting at about 5.25% ABV, so it's much more tame than previous batches. I'll let it sit in secondary for a month or so and then start sampling.

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

I've been avoiding this thread because I have too much to read and catch up on before I can share.

BUT - I wanted to share this link for the home mazer competition. Entries due early March.

mertesn
    edited January 2015

@Gargoyle said:
    I've been avoiding this thread because I have too much to read and catch up on before I can share.

BUT - I wanted to share this link for the home mazer competition. Entries due early March.

Interesting. Thanks @Gargoyle‌ !

Think I'll get some opinions on this batch and do some refinements. The currently bottled cherry chipotle batch is pretty sweet. Not sure if I should dial it back or not.

In other news, the cherries and chipotles for round #2 arrived yesterday.

What kind of Chipotles are you using @mertesn like are they the canned with juices or dried?

My next brew is going to be a Passion Fruit Prickly Pear Saison. (Sister-in-law request).

They're dried. The cherries are frozen.

• georgehgeorgeh Canton, MI Icrontian

You guys might appreciate this, I got my kegerator online: http://kegbot.hotelling.net/

OK, just one of the taps for now. You can follow it on Twitter too if you're weird. https://twitter.com/KegbotGeorge

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

@georgeh said:
    You guys might appreciate this, I got my kegerator online: http://kegbot.hotelling.net/

That's awesome!

• oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec. Icrontian
    edited January 2015

so, i'm finally gonna start brewing with hops and malts (not a syrup-y substance). i have a very basic setup, 23l basket and 23l (that's 5gal) carby, both food grade plastic. i was thinking of boiling outside with a burner and a big kettle.

also being on a 3rd floor apt, i can't really control temperature, so i know lagers and belgian ales are out of the question.
    one of my friend's been brewing for a while now and he suggest i do english ale or stout. i was thinking of getting Goldings, but cascade is very tempting.

i don't know much about what to do really. i've been reading about it for a while now, but i'd like inputs.

edit: also, i was told to get this book,, which i just did.