F@H for Mobile

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian

In partnership with Sony, Stanford has released F@H for Android. Only a few devices are supported at this time

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

I wonder what their projected processing power gain is from this. How many people will qualify for "Note: in order to be ready to contribute, your phone must be: (i) connected to a charger and fully charged (100%), (ii) connected to a Wi-Fi connection and (iii) within the time interval you choose in the app."

Not me during any waking hour. I guess they might get 4-5 hours at night.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Just installed it. It will not even let you fold full-time. You can schedule a start time and it will fold for 6 hours. You cannot change the duration. It must be 100% charged, must be connected to wi-fi, and must be plugged in.

You also can't specify a team # :(

Garg

That seems like a bit of an oversight for a group who has been in the game this long.

I would imagine some of it is Sony's restrictions or maybe Sony built the app.

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

If there are arbitrary restrictions, you can bet Sony built the app. Hopefully they add user identity and some more flexible features, then I'll slap some heatsinks on my phone and see how long it takes to pass Icrontic_11 on the team standings.

@primesuspect said:
    Just installed it. It will not even let you fold full-time. You can schedule a start time and it will fold for 6 hours. You cannot change the duration. It must be 100% charged, must be connected to wi-fi, and must be plugged in.

You also can't specify a team # :(

I went looking for the helpful button. I guess I'll hug it out instead?

I completed my first night. Not sure if I can call it a "work unit" or not. Phone didn't get hot (I touched the back around 4am to see how it felt), and when I woke up this morning it says, simply, "Contributed time: 5h 58m".

There's not a lot of info here, but I guess it's doing something. Here's a screenshot.

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian

Update Jan. 13: According to Sony, the current release is beta and will, at present, work only with Xperia smart phones, specifically the "Xperia Z series smartphones as well as the Xperia T3, T2 Ultra, M2 Aqua and C3." Following the beta, it will be made available to all Android smart phones running Android 4.4 or later.

What is going on is the application is currently attempt to process one protein folding, there is really only one unit it is trying to hit. Their average estimates for the supported phones in beta is that a phone working while it is idled can cover one of the 300k nanoseconds that the protein takes to fold in 8 hours. 8 hours of contributed time is your unit but there aren't points right now because beta and it runs in an extreme cut down version, makes the chrome version appear extremely robust. They intend to run through this protein and then move forward to another, assuming they will require finishing the protein's folding sequence before making changes to the application.

@Tushon said:
    I wonder what their projected processing power gain is from this. How many people will qualify for "Note: in order to be ready to contribute, your phone must be: (i) connected to a charger and fully charged (100%), (ii) connected to a Wi-Fi connection and (iii) within the time interval you choose in the app."

Not me during any waking hour. I guess they might get 4-5 hours at night.

primesuspectSonorous
    edited January 2015

Ah wow! Thanks for looking that up. That graph is pretty cool to see. I wonder what their total active non-trivial folding is on PCs right now.

EDIT: answered my own wonder http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=osstats2