Superb Owl XLIX: All that is light and good vs dirty cheaters

shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian

Who is ready for the super bowl?

This year, it will feature the New England Patriots (aka the dirty cheaters) and the Seattle Seahawks (aka all that is light and good).

Who are you cheering for?

How will the patriots cheat this game?

Will Richard Sherman's injured elbow fall off?

Creeperbane2

Comments

• ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian

Screw the Pats. Go Hawks.

Creeperbane2
  • DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso Kelso 'The Great Asshole' San Jose, CA Icrontian

I hate the Seahawks on principle as a Niners fan... so therefore, Go Pats!

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian

Haven't seen Fatcat in a bit, so I guess I'll check in as one of the resident Pats fans.

Good luck, Seahawks.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Pats.

• GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian

I hate Belicheat Go hawks!!!

Creeperbane2
  • Since my first set of in-laws were total Massholes, it goes against my constitution to root for the Pats. Go Colts! Go Green Bay! Oops, too late... Go Seahawks, I guess.

GargCreeperbane2maliaMAGIC
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian

Kansas City has had a strong alliance with the Patriots over our dislike for the Broncos and Peyton Manning. Also there is residual hatred from the Seahawks time in the AFCW. So Patriots.

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

Would be cool to see the Seahawks win 2 in a row

Would be cool to see Brady expand on his dynasty

Would be best it is is a good game with as much, or more excitement than the AFC Championship.

Go Sportsball! :rockon:

-Digi

• colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian

sportsbowl

RahnalH102
  • Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian
    edited January 2015

The Pats need to have every win since 2007 STRIPPED, the AFC playoff game (In which they CHEATED) thrown out, their Super Bowl appearance revoked and given to the Colts, and be suspended from ALL games in the 2015-2016 season. But no, it's the Pats, they'll just flash their mystical money boner and the NFL will look the other way. Screw those cheating, lying, no good, dirty, stinkin, mammycoddled, wetnursing, cakey, clapped-in, boggin, dreich, dreep, feartil, glakit, hum-a-ding-dong, hing-oot, jessie, keech eating, mince, scabby, tossbag, skelly, shaan gadgie, BASTARDS.

GO HAWKS, BEAT THE BASTARDS!

Scottish to engish translation guide, to translate post.

http://allcomposed.com/a-z-of-scottish-insults/

UPSLynx
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2015

@Creeperbane2 said:
    The Pats need to have every win since 2007 STRIPPED, the AFC playoff game (In which they CHEATED) thrown out, their Super Bowl appearance revoked and given to the Colts, and be suspended from ALL games in the 2015-2016 season. But no, it's the Pats, they'll just flash their mystical money boner and the NFL will look the other way. Screw those cheating, lying, no good, dirty, stinkin, mammycoddled, wetnursing, cakey, clapped-in, boggin, dreich, dreep, feartil, glakit, hum-a-ding-dong, hing-oot, jessie, keech eating, mince, scabby, tossbag, skelly, shaan gadgie, BASTARDS.

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

The only thing worse than Boston fans are Seahawk fans. So I guess beer. Yeah I'll be rooting for beer.

Creeperbane2ChoochcolaUPSLynx
  • KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

@Creeperbane2 said:

I am sure it was totally the balls that were 2 psi underflated that caused the Colts to lose. Not their total inability to play defense.

@Karma said:
    I am sure it was totally the balls that were 2 psi underflated that caused the Colts to lose. Not their total inability to play defense.

Well it's not just that, more so the generality, that the pats always cheat, even when they don't need to, and somehow get away with it. If anyone else pulled what they pull they would no longer even HAVE a team.

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

Been watching the Pats play since I was in diapers.

• KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian

@Creeperbane2 said:
    Well it's not just that, more so the generality, that the pats always cheat, even when they don't need to, and somehow get away with it. If anyone else pulled what they pull they would no longer even HAVE a team.

There is a lot of sketchiness surrounding the whole story right now, the timeline isn't adding up and / or the refs were completely out of touch to have missed the under inflated balls when they were checked two hours before the game started. Also, the Patriots played much better football after half time when those 11 under-inflated footballs were pumped up to regulation PSI, whereas the Colts played just the same shitty football they were playing. Do I think they cheated, in all likelihood yes, because Bill Bellicheck is always pushing the boundaries of what he can get away with, just like Pete Carroll and his Seahawks.

@Koreish said:
    There is a lot of sketchiness surrounding the whole story right now, the timeline isn't adding up and / or the refs were completely out of touch to have missed the under inflated balls when they were checked two hours before the game started. Also, the Patriots played much better football after half time when those 11 under-inflated footballs were pumped up to regulation PSI, whereas the Colts played just the same shitty football they were playing. Do I think they cheated, in all likelihood yes, because Bill Bellicheck is always pushing the boundaries of what he can get away with, just like Pete Carroll and his Seahawks.

Not saying Colts didn't play some shit ball (Am saying the spread may have been smaller if Pats were legit). But, a team who looses but plays legit, will always be better than a team that cheats. Honor in defeat is always better than dishonesty (Even in the slightest) in victory.

• d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian

I'm not saying the Colts didn't deserve to win, but cheating is cheating is cheating. Whether it REALLY gave them an advantage isn't relevant, they were violating the rules and need to be punished. The game should be taken away from them.

Creeperbane2UPSLynx
  • trooster89trooster89 Are you from London? Icrontian

I hear the Patriots are favored to win by 2 psi.

Creeperbane2
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

PLEASE REFUTE, NERDS.

Science teacher here. Given the conditions of the game, a ball which meets specifications in the locker room could easily lose enough pressure to be considered under-inflated. Some math:

• Guy-Lussac's Law describes the relationship between the pressure of a confined ideal gas and its temperature. For the sake of argument, we will assume that the football is a rigid enough container (unless a ball is massively deflated, it's volume won't change). The relationship is (P1/T1) = (P2/T2), where P is the pressure and T is the temperature in Kelvins.

• The balls are inflated to between 12.5 and 13.5 psi at a temperature of 70 degrees Farenheit (294.1 K). Let's assume an average ball has a gauge pressure of 13 psi. This makes the absolute pressure of the ball 27.7 psi (gauge + atmosphere). Since these are initial values, we will call them P1 and T1.

• The game time temperature was 49 degrees F (278 K). We are attempting to solve for the new pressure at this temperature, P2. We plug everything into the equation and get (27.7/294.1) = (P2/278). At the game time temperature, the balls would have an absolute pressure of 26.2 psi and a gauge pressure of 11.5, below league specifications.

*Furthermore, given that it was raining all day, the air in the stadium was saturated with water vapor. At 70 degrees, water has a vapor pressure of 0.38 psi. The total pressure of the ball is equal to the pressure of the air inside the ball and the vaporized water in the ball. At 49 degrees, the vapor pressure of water is 0.13 psi. Up to 0.25 additional psi can be lost if the balls were inflated by either the team or the refs prior to the game. Granted, it's unlikely that anyone would inflate balls from 0, but it easily could cost another couple hundredths of a psi in pressure.

• For a ball that barely meets specifications (12.5 psi gauge), it's pressure would drop to 11.1 psi during the game... enough to be considered massively underinflated.
    RydercolaGarg
  • trooster89trooster89 Are you from London? Icrontian

Yes, but wouldn't the Colts' balls have also seemed under-inflated because they were subjected to the same exact temperature conditions as the Patriots'?

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

It depends on if they were pumped up inside or outside. Also, the pressure range is a full PSI, meaning that if the Pats filled their balls (heh) to 12.5, and the Colts to 13.5, both in spec, then one would be out of spec once the air temperature was able to take effect.

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited January 2015

Anyone have any favorite snacks for during the game?

@Thrax said:
    PLEASE REFUTE, NERDS.

• For a ball that barely meets specifications (12.5 psi gauge), it's pressure would drop to 11.1 psi during the game... enough to be considered massively underinflated.

Guy-Lussac's Law describes the relationship between the pressure of a confined ideal gas and its temperature. For the sake of argument, we will assume that the football is a rigid enough container (unless a ball is massively deflated, it's volume won't change).

For a ball that barely meets specifications (12.5 psi gauge), it's pressure would drop to 11.1 psi during the game... enough to be considered massively underinflated.

when your conclusion violates your assumptions, you're going to have a bad time.

• ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian

for you Pats fan.

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

I could not possibly care less about this Super Bowl. Hate both the teams.

I'm just gonna play video games instead.

PirateNinjacola
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited January 2015

@trooster89 said:
    Yes, but wouldn't the Colts' balls have also seemed under-inflated because they were subjected to the same exact temperature conditions as the Patriots'?

This. Deflation is a thing, sure, but it doesn't add up if it's only one team's side of the story.

Ultimately, I know the Colts played a bad game and all that. But cheating, man. There should be bigger repercussions than "well, you lose a draft pick I guess."

All I can say is it is so sad for Tom Baby and his sidekick Bill Bellacheat, they'll be ending their careers on a loss. (And yes I am suggesting they were both at fault and they BOTH should lose their jobs over this one)

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

Since the Pats aren't playing the Giants in the Superbowl this year, they might have a chance to win. That is, of course, if Brady can take a hit. Given his past history, I'll say no. I have no love for the 'Hawks, but I definitely have major dislike for the Pats. My guess is 31-14, 'Hawks over Pats.

Creeperbane2