Proper storage of laptop charger

aspieRommelaspieRommel Icrontic politicoIndianapolis, IN Icrontian

Hey guys,

My charger, after 2/2.5 years of service, my computer charger has now went out. Granted, I wrapped it around itself for easy transport in my computer bag. Now I will have to get a new charger. Can you give some tips on how to "properly" store my charger? If you could include photos on how it looks, that would help too. Thanks guys!

Comments

• RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian

Isn't that how everyone does it (wrapping the cord around itself?)

This is also the first time I've ever heard of a charger failing.

• midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian

The best way to wrap a charger cable is the way you received it from the factory. Adding wraps adds twist to the wires causing longitudinal strain and eventual possible failure.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Really? Perry's charger died, which is why his laptop is sitting behind you :D

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited January 2015

Wrapping any cable without paying attention to its twist is going to eventually cause problems. The big thing is to make sure that you unwrap the cable the same way you wrapped it, but commonly, especially if we wrap it around something, we'll end up wrapping it straight around, like spooling a kite-string, then unwrapping it by pulling it off to the side, this creates twist. This is not as important for power cables as for signal cables, but will cause problems in all cables eventually.

Most people who work with cables a lot professionally (as I once did, in another life) learn to wrap their cables in such a way that they apply the opposite twist while wrapping, this allows cables to lay more naturally (it's the same way they get wrapped by the machine or worker at the factory), and won't cause twist then when you pull the ends apart from one another. This is called over-under wrapping. While working in television, this was so important, and became so ingrained that I wrap all my cables this way now without even thinking about it.

If you've ever seen pros lay down a roll of cable on the floor without any velcro or anything and it just stays there without trying to unroll, then they probably have their over-under technique down. I can teach this to you sometime, but in case we don't meatspace together anytime soon, I found a YouTube video which shows it.

midga
  • aspieRommelaspieRommel Icrontic politico Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

Here are some photos showing my charger...

First, here is how I "prepared" my charger for storage and transport.

004.JPG 108.6K

Second, here is the damage. Note that the outer insulation has split, resulting in one of the ends having exposed wire.

005.JPG 111.1K
    006.JPG 96.6K

Third, here is how it should look as demonstrated with my mother's charger, which I am borrowing for the present moment. In the first image, both the first and third lights (from the left) should be illuminated at the same time. In the second, notice the "charging" icon on the corner of the screen while charger is plugged in.

007.JPG 112.9K
    008.JPG 115.8K

And finally, with my charger...

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

You should be able to locate a replacement. Check the manufacturer's site, Amazon, and Ebay.

Alternatively if you are electrically inclined, you might be able to repair the connection. I am not, so I have no useful information, but others here have done similar things.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

To me, laptop chargers are basically disposable at this point; new ones are under $20.

GnomeQueen
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian

You need to make sure you're not putting strain on the cable's connection to the brick. The damage you have is from forcing a 90°+ bend at that connection point. It is not a rope, do not treat it as such.

BasilBobbyDigi
  • Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

Have you tried duct tape, I know, cliche, but can't hurt.

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited February 2015

Some duct tape conducts electricity. Try electrical tape.

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

As an AV and sound professional I wrap all of my cables over under and have had a zero percent fail rate. I highly recommend learning this technique for everything from USB cables to household power extention cables.

@Straight_Man I did try electrical tape and the power fluctuated (sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldn't, depending on cord position) until it completely failed on Thursday.

So the over-under technique can work for the end that can detach from the brick but what do I do with the end that can't?

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited February 2015

The same. There is no good reason my that cable shouldn't also be wrapped properly. If you do it right, over-under wrapping will keep the cable in one place just as well as wrapping it around something, since the cable will lay flat and stay untangled. If you move it around a lot, use a velcro tie or some other cable keeper device to keep it together.

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

I hold my brick in my right hand, leave a little length on the cable so that strain won't be put on the part that goes into the brick and wrap the extra over under. I have an extra long velcro cable wrap and wrap the cable once then around the brick to keep it all neat.

Suggestion: a video of what you just said would be helpful.

@CannonFodder Are you talking to me or @Sonorous ?

@Sonorous - I'd like to see the proper technique applied to a laptop charger.

@CannonFodder Ok, didn't know.