Dying video card?

RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian

So, I have suspected a drop in performance, and have had increasing issues keeping my monitors running. Yesterday and today, it has dropped into the more firm "actual problem" category. This kind of stuff keeps happening (see pic.)

I am currently running 3 monitors, so that may be part of the problem. I don't currently have any special adapters to make that happen, running two DVI ports and one Display Port.

Due to some ... not well advised life choices, I cannot currently afford a new video card. While I suspect this is the issue, are there any other things I can do?

I have the latest drivers, I'm not running a beta driver. I haven't reinstalled windows in some time, which I'm considering. I recently checked for other performance problems, and I'm not seeing any. No thermal issues that I can detect with GPU-z or CPU-z. I also ran a Malwarebytes scan, just to be sure, nothing turned up there either.

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited January 2015

1 - What card?

• RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian

Oops, important stuff!

Its a Radeon 7850.

Here's the GPUz capture.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2015

Test GPU RAM. Launch with vmt.exe /loader to expose all options.

Test GPU core.

Ok, cool you also answered the question if you were using the Omega driver.. so now I am stumped, but I can say that I see the same in my browser or worse at times.
    7970 with 2 x display port.

@Thrax said:
    Test GPU RAM. Launch with vmt.exe /loader to expose all options.

Test GPU core.

VMT: What options would I choose besides default?

2nd link doesn't work.

2nd link fixed

• This is also happening to me, but the I have the Radeon HD 7700. That screen shot is what happens but all over my second screen, sadly I can't get a screen shot of it though. I also noticed performance change. I have the latest drivers, I'm not running a beta driver. I also ran a Virus Scan and a Malwarebytes scan, just to be sure.

It's been driving me crazy. I will follow the Thrax links after I get home tonight.

I would start with OCCT, then move to VMT if OCCT doesn't reveal anything.

OCCT: When running it as an active program, it ran at 60 FPS, no issue. When I clicked anywhere else, it dropped to 20 FPS. Not sure what else I should be looking for here.

VMT: No issues.

edited January 2015

You need to let the OCCT GPU test just run for a while. It compares each frame rendered by the GPU against a picture-perfect reference image. If the delta between the pixels is too great, this indicates a defective GPU and the test will fail.

rtfm bro. ;)

It passed then.

Guess tomorrow I reinstall Windows!

@CannonFodder when this occurs, is WoW or some other full screen app that uses GPU near 100% running on another monitor?

I just realized I haven't had this issue unless WoW is running.
    I am on a 4 month old 8.1 install, just trying to save you time.

In this case, cura was running that has a graphical usage, and trying to load up solidworks, which would use more. But nothing intensive at the moment.

I've had this version of windows for ... a long time now (1yr+). Its due for a fresh install. Normally, I get new hardware sooner than that, but... life changes, etc.

• PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited January 2015

Random thought, cura looks like it may be made with WPF which by default uses graphics acceleration to draw the UI. If you want, you can disable WPF graphics acceleration system wide which will only affect performance of drawing the UI of that app. It wouldn't, for example, disable gpu rendering done by that app or something similar.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa970912.aspx

edit:

per the note on that page:

The disable hardware acceleration option enables you to turn off hardware acceleration for debugging and test purposes. When you see rendering artifacts in an application, try turning off hardware acceleration. If the artifact disappears, the problem might be with your video driver.

Cool! I just did some testing, and Cura does seem to drop my performance.

This is as simple as only having cura open when I need it (to make a print file) and closing it rather than leaving it open for the next job.