how to use headphones w/ mic on a pc?

oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French CanadianMontréal, Québec. Icrontian

so i got some headphones for my cell and it has a mic on it. i was wondering how to use it as a headset for my pc? i tried plugging it everywhere but it seems to never recognize the mic...

Comments

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

So your typical head phones are 1/8" mini with a TRS connector on the in. That's tip, ring and sleeve. You'll note two plastic dividers. On the headphones with a mic on them it's actually a TRRS. There is an extra ring on the connector. That little extra bit makes them useless on normal 1/8" outputs. Sometimes you'll get sound out but the mic will never work. Maybe some laptops would be able to use that type of headphone with mic but I have never seen it.

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

Very few PCs would have the jack for the integrated mic (your XBox controller has one, though). However, an adapter is not very expensive.

• HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero Icrontian

@CB said:
    Very few PCs would have the jack for the integrated mic (your XBox controller has one, though). However, an adapter is not very expensive.

keep in mind that there is actually an even smaller jack of this type(such as the one xbox controllers use) i dont know what they are called but be aware of that when shopping for adapters.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

Most modern laptops have moved to the converged plug, but desktops are a completely separate thing.

You're best off just getting an adapter that does it for you.

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited February 2015

@XGPHero said:
    keep in mind that there is actually an even smaller jack of this type(such as the one xbox controllers use) i dont know what they are called but be aware of that when shopping for adapters.

It's the difference between 2.5mm and 3.5mm The one I linked to converts from combined 2.5 (what the xbox and some phones use) to seperated 3.5 (what most PCs and other things use). It's the one I got when I wanted to use my XBox headset on my PC. Some newer phone headsets are 3.5 combined, and would need this converter instead.

BobbyDigioni_dels