Memory Question

CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

I just got a new PC for my mom. If the new PC has DDR3 1600 Ram, can I take the DDR3 1333 Ram out of her old PC and use it in the new one? The new PC has 4GB and her old one also has 4GB and I figured if I can use both sets Windows 8 would do better with 8GB rather than the 4GB that the PC comes with.

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian

Possible, faintly, if the mobo will support the 1333, but I would not build that way on purpose as Windows does not like mixed speeds in a computer.

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

@Straight_Man said:
    Possible, faintly, if the mobo will support the 1333, but I would not build that way on purpose as Windows does not like mixed speeds in a computer.

Not quite. You'll just be running everything at one speed - in this case DDR3-1333. As long as you have the slots for the RAM it'll work fine. I'm assuming she isn't a hardcore gamer so there shouldn't be any real performance concerns.

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

Absolutely no gaming, only basic internets and the occasional Word document.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Then 1333 is fine and there shouldn't be any real issues.

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

So it turns out the 4GB in her old machine was 2x2GB and her new PC only has two RAM slots. She decided to just give her old PC to my sister. Do you guys think 4GB DDR3 1600 will be fine for what she uses it for or would it be worth the $30 or so to get her another 4GB stick?

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian

Not a problem at all.