A question of work, legality, and liquor.

Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian ScoundrelIndianapolis, IN Icrontian

So, Yard House is opening a bar/restaurant at Circle Center Mall here in Indy, hiring all positions, and I just so happen to be in the market for a new job because I am tired of being screwed over at my current one. The positions I know I have a shot at are busser, dishwasher, and host, however I am trying to figure out how old you have to be to be a barback in this state, I can't find the info anywhere. I know to barTEND you need to be 21 with a cert, but that is irrellivent. So, anyone know how old you must be to barback in Indiana?

Comments

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

Laws vary by state but a quick search provided this.

Creeperbane2
  • HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero Icrontian

@mertesn is right that laws vary from state to state, but my experience trying to be a bartender taught me that bartenders and bar backs need to meet the same minimum requirements, no matter what your age. it is also next to impossible to land a bartending gig as a guy.

• midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian

I dunno, I'd say about 50% of the bartenders I've had were guys (not counting pseudo-breastaurants).

@Creeperbane2 Just put in the application, list it as a thing you're applying for. They'll know whether they can hire you for it or not, and they'll also know you're interested in moving into that position if you stay with the company long enough to do so. Can't really hurt.

• MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    edited February 2015

@XGPHero said:
    it is also next to impossible to land a bartending gig as a guy.

That has GOT to be a function of where you live. Uptown cocktail bars in Iowa were equally staffed with men in vests and women in dresses. In LA, my experience is that your bartender is just as likely to be a guy as a girl - dive bars, cocktail bars, wherever.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

Yeah, I don't see that happening around here, either. Whether it's in Detroit proper or in the suburbs or outlying areas, I see just as many men as women behind the bar.

My brother has been tending bar in Toluca Lake for years.

• MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian

Any job in the restaurant industry usually requires you to start at the bottom. Get a job in the entry level (dishwasher or server), work for awhile doing all the horrible stuff that gets thrown your way and make it known to management after your 90 days that you want to be bar side.