what would cause an app to just close?

qwikkqwikk po-town, nh
edited January 2004 in Science & Tech
only games too, I boot almost any game (NFSU, DAoC, etc; D2 works sometimes) and either immediately, or after a few minutes, it will just close and return me to the desktop. no warning, no not responding error, just as if I had alt-f4'ed. I'm guessing either my RAM (which I got no errors from memtest on), or my videocard. more likely right now would be the videocard since I've had problems before. that and I'll get BSODs with ati3d2ag.dll as the file of choice (among several, and I mean several others).

heat might be something too I'm guessing. the comp ran almost fine when I was in Camman's chilly basement, but now back in my room it's running, well, crappy. just took the side panel off too and it's running a bit better. SLK900A and Enermax 92mm fan on the way, so that problem is fixed I suppose. but then again it's not running incredibly hot, 58C.

yea, I'm rambling now because it's almost 6am and I can't sleep. I'll love you forever if you can figure out my problem. I have logs of most of the BSODs I've been getting, but they seem to have been remedied by the fact that I fixed a DirectSound bug with Winamp5, got new (non-Creative) sound drivers, and downgraded to 3.7 Catalyst drivers. I had been getting crazy amounts of BSODs involving kmixer.sys, and I had seen things where Creative is ignorant and doesn't make good drivers, so I figured I should try someone else's. thanks.

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Batrton 2500+ likes under 55 C. It runs BEST in 40-50 C range. Happy you have a new HS and fan coming. VERY happy!!!

John.
  • miinkiemiinkie UK
    edited January 2004
    Had same prob with a rig with Barton XP2500. Did most of what u have done ... updated GPU drivers etc. eventually checked cpu temps and that was where problem was. It was running at about 53-55C. Changed heatsink and fan and no probs since.

BTW u didnt mention if u were OC'ing.

Glad u getting new fan etc. Hopefully should solve prob
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Just try swapping your RAM out anyways and see what happens.

My next guess would be your CPU temp, as that's ridiculous for an SLK-900.
  • qwikkqwikk po-town, nh
    edited January 2004
    yea, forgot to mention that I'm not OCing or anything, running the stock fan right now. specs are as follows:

Athlon 2100+
    Radeon 9000Pro 128MB
    2x256MB DDR2100 Crucial RAM
    Audigy OEM sound
  • edited January 2004
    The first time I click "Shutdown" in the start menu (first each boot), the shutdown dialog box closes nearly instantly. I have no idea why, and I've lived with it for a while.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited January 2004
    What OS are you on. Depending on what service pack with XP they have enforced extra security on what a user can execute. Try going into the task manger and checking there. I used to find my self with a dozen progs running I thought were not cause I kept clicking over and over. With sp2 you can set the default permissions to letting anyone run the program. For now login as administrator and run it.

Tex
  • qwikkqwikk po-town, nh
    edited January 2004
    alright, appears it was just a heat problem. new heatsink and fan make it able to run DAoC now. haven't tested the rest out, gonna update my video drivers right now since the graphics in DAoC were looking rather fubar.