2 Hats just sold for almost $15,000

BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats !TX Icrontian
400 buds was paid for a pair of Killer Exclusives. One was an unusual, Burning Flames (300 buds) and the other was Craft #1 (100 buds).

Here is the trade: http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/18436202

400 buds @ $37 /ea = $14,800

New highest value documented trade in TF2 history.

-Digi
RyanFodderCreeperbane2ErrorNullTurnipTushonBHHammySignalUPSLynxCliff_Forster

Comments

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

Every time I think I'm beginning to understand the TF2 trade scene, something like this happens and shows me I know nothing.

How do you even GET so many buds? Weren't they exclusive for TF2 on Mac? Or can they be crafted now?

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited March 2014

To explain:

The Killer Exclusive was a promotional hat one would receive in Genuine quality from either a physical copy of the mag in the UK or purchasing the 1st digital edition of PC Gamer on Steam. It is an all class hat which is what puts a high demand on it.

While not the first instance of the hat in the game, but the first crafted, the Killer Exclusive #1 was the first non genuine version in the game and it says right on it, "#1". Strong collectors value.

Burning Flames is commonly referred to as a God Tier effect. On a high level hat we have the definition of "demand" in TF2.

This should hopefully shed some light on why these hats went for so much. How does one get 400 buds? He traded for or bought all of them. Buds are not craftable. Buds were given to players who logged in on a Mac during the Mac TF2 release. They only have value because they have been accepted as currency in the TF2 market. They are by no means rare.

-Digi

Basiloni_dels
  • Anytime I have something of marketable value that I can get some Steam wallet credit for it, I let it go. I value the experience of playing a new game much higher than I do looking cool in TF2. I'm just weird I guess?

• SpectralfireSpectralfire /u/spectralfire /r/evangelion OH Member

A few years back I used to play TF2 religiously and I still have my buds I got for logging on. I was stupidly surprised at how much they were worth when I bothered to check my backpack worth a coupe years later.

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian

Sold my #hats for earbuds, sold my earbuds for $$, bought some nice headphones with the $$. was pretty happy with my choice, especially since i dropped off of playing much. It's fun to play with IC people, but I just get frustrated in pubs.

oni_dels
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian

@Spectralfire said:
    A few years back I used to play TF2 religiously and I still have my buds I got for logging on. I was stupidly surprised at how much they were worth when I bothered to check my backpack worth a coupe years later.

Since you've mentioned it, and now others will want to say it, I'll say it first; if you can, join us on Tuesday nights for some TF2 antics. It's all about the fun and community.

Signal
  • SpectralfireSpectralfire /u/spectralfire /r/evangelion OH Member

@RahnalH102 said:
    Since you've mentioned it, and now others will want to say it, I'll say it first; if you can, join us on Tuesday nights for some TF2 antics. It's all about the fun and community.

I'll see if I can eventually, right now I'm in a League of Legends Competition that plays at 9-11PM EST on Tuesday atm. I'll definitely try to stop by though.

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

The high level trading goes on...

A Burning Flames Team Captain just sold for 550 buds, just under $15,000 worth of items.

TF2Outpost listing

Reddit Thread (Get your daily dose of salt here)

-Digi

RyanFodder
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian

Saw when it went up for sale and a possible buyer. 1 bitcoin = 1 bitcoin.