Windows Vienna To Follow Vista

SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
edited January 2006 in Science & Tech
Microsoft's blogging guru, Robert Scoble, recently confirmed in a Channel 9 thread that Windows Vienna is the new codename for Windows Blackcomb the successor to Windows Vista. See the below links for more info.

View: Channel 9 Vienna Confirmation
View: Blackcomb Wiki
While Windows Vista is intended to be a technologies-based release, with some UI changes (in the form of the Aero set of technologies and guidelines), Vienna is targeted directly at revolutionizing the way we interact with our home and office PCs.

For instance, the "Start" philosophy, introduced in Windows 95, may be completely replaced by a "new interface" which was said in 1999 to be scheduled for Blackcomb, before being moved to the Longhorn project, and then back to Blackcomb. The interface involved some ideas based upon truely 3D Windows and an intergration of what is now known as Sidebar.

The Explorer shell is expected to be replaced in its entirety, with features such as the taskbar being replaced by a new concept based on the last 10 years of research from Microsoft's "Vibe" lab. Projects such as GroupBar and LayoutBar are expected to make an appearance, allowing users to more effectively manage and keep track of their applications and documents while in use, and a new way of launching applications is expected - among other ideas, Microsoft is investigating a pie menu-type circular interface, similar in function to Apple's dock feature.
Source: Neowin

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    This is getting lame, just release ONE damned OS even if it has to come even later than scheduled.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Give me start bar, or give me death.
    <font size=1>Or something like that.</font>
  • edited January 2006
    Vienna, like the sausage? :D
  • edited January 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    Give me start bar, or give me death.
    <font size=1>Or something like that.</font>

People said the same thing about the Program Manager after hearing about Windows 95 over 10 years ago. I'm willing to bet they've since changed their tune.
  • edited January 2006
    i want my start bar. they better have it as an option. and are you kidding me. microsoft hasnt even released vista and they are already develping the next os...maybe they should put a little bit (a lot) more time into vista so that it will actually be a os worth getting.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    I preferred the name "Blackcomb" to Vienna.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    I prefer the name "longhorn" to "Vista" for that matter... :-/
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    I preferr the name....:kneel:
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited January 2006
    shouldnt they fix XP before making a new one... ?

So this became what we now know as Windows 8.

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

@primesuspect, are you just raising old threads for shits and giggles, or do you have a greater purpose?

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian

@Kwitko said:
    primesuspect, are you just raising old threads for shits and giggles, or do you have a greater purpose?

We're talking about Brian here... he was probably drunk posting.

No reason. I've been searching for things and when I come across something interesting, I've commented.

• EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian

Sidebar gadgets - appeared in Vista, probable predecessor of Win8 live tiles
    LayoutBar/GroupBar - appeared in Win7 but never with full customizability of grouping
    3D interface replacing "Start" - nope