Internet Explorer: 1995-2015

aspieRommelaspieRommel Icrontic politicoIndianapolis, IN Icrontian

As I was about to check my email, I came across this article. Looks like Microsoft is killing off Internet Explorer after all.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/microsoft-is-killing-off-the-internet-explorer-113874075974.html

oni_delsCreeperbane2

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited March 2015

With the advent of Windows 10, there will be a browser called Spartan taking IE's place. Spartan is a code name, but the new browser is said to be leaner and meaner than IE was. IE will still run in earlier versions of Windows in which it is installed now, AFAIK. This is tl;dr of the article, BTW, but not too new news.

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

RIP Explorer-tan.

midgaCBChoochBasilCreeperbane2
  • Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

And good riddance more of euthanasia than anything else.

• BLuKnightBLuKnight Lehi, UT Icrontian

I'll always remember the free discs we gave away at Egghead computer with IE 3. Good times.

georgehNullenVoydCreeperbane2
  • SazbeanSazbean Paladins. Lawful good & violent about it. Chelsea, MI Icrontian

And then Microsoft will realize they have to support all the crappy websites built over the years using their toolsets and the new browser will also suck. I'm not holding my breath.

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

They are not writing a new browser guys. They are re-branding it.

A rose by any other name will smell just as sweet. However heavily you feel that smell is, it will be about the same.

-Digi

• Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

@BobbyDigi said:
    They are not writing a new browser guys. They are re-branding it.

A rose by any other name will smell just as sweet. However heavily you feel that smell is, it will be about the same.

-Digi

So translation the new browser should be called "Firefox Install Wizard 2.0", I mean, that's all I used IE for.

• Killing IE is nearly impossible due to the massive investment businesses have made developing applications that work inside of it. Companies will be running older versions of IE for years to come for application compatibility. My understanding is all the professional and ultimate versions will ship with both browsers but the home versions will just have the Spartan browser which is actually a departure from IE code and not just a simple re brand.

georgeh
  • ins4n17yins4n17y Cabanatuan City, Philippines Icrontian

its not a killing, just a rebrand, "project sparta"