hacking the google toolbar

tychotycho Santa Barbara, California!
edited June 2003 in Folding@Home
Okay, there are these two computers running in my new lab and they both have the google toolbar installed. I don't want to mess with the toolbar, but what would be great is if I could find a way to see if they are folding for google and if so I want to change the user name & team name so that they will fold for us.

Does anyone know what I need to do to accomplish this?

Comments

• KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited June 2003
    There's an outside possibility that you could find the client file that FAH normally creates, or you could maybe use a hex editor to replace the google team number with 93. The only problem is that I think they have a three digit team number.

When you download the Google toolbar, isn't there an option to download one that does not include the folding client?
  • tychotycho Santa Barbara, California!
    edited June 2003
    okay ill see if i can find any F@H folders or info

I don't know if these toolbars are folding or not because they were both on the comps before i came here
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    Someone, I think maybe it was muddocktor, hacked the google toolbar cause if you look at our stats there is a member with a google name.

Check task manager to see if it is running FAH.
  • FoldingAddictFoldingAddict Montgomery, AL
    edited June 2003
    I do this at Circuit City to keep their machines folding without having to go to all the trouble of installing a service.

Here is what I do step by step..

First...I get the toolbar installed (you can skip this since you have already done it)

The toolbar by default doesn't come with Google Compute...so you may have to install that. Just do a search for 'google compute' on google and the first thing that comes up should be what you want. Get that installed.

Now enable the toolbar in IE and turn off the computing part of the toolbar. I.E. Click on the helix that's on the toolbar and select "stop computing" or something similar to that.

Now open up the registry and do a search for 'google'. In XP what comes up should be a folder in HKEY_USERS\a bunch of fairly random letters and numbers\Software\Google. Now, there is a sub-directory of Google called DcClient, click on that and you should see in the right pane of the registry a bunch of keys and values.

Now that you're in \google\DcClient, you need to look for 2 keys. One is called "dc-username" and the other is called "TeamNum". Double click on "dc-username" and change the value to your F@H username, then hit OK. Then double click on "TeamNum" and change it to 93 and then click ok. Now you're done with the registry.

Now, go back to IE and re-enable google compute...and you're DONE!:D

~FA
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Would be easier to use Registry Crawler. It searches the registry for keywords. Link :)
    edited June 2003
    Okay very cool, thanks for the suggestions

Unfortunatly I am heading home now, but first thing monday I will see what I can do with those computers and google toolbar. Hopefully we will have two more processors for team 93 next week!
    edited June 2003
    Blackhawk said
    Would be easier to use Registry Crawler. It searches the registry for keywords. Link :)

I use that at home to do stuff like that...but it's no good having to install something like that on a Circuit City machine.;)

~FA
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    Ahh yes FA has done it too.
    edited June 2003
    Yeah, actually changing the username on the latest google toolbar/google comput version is easy because it's right in there on the google compute configuration page, so you may not have to edit the registry for that.

~FA
  • dodododo Landisville, PA
    edited June 2003
    does the google toolbar only fold when the browser is open? or all the time?

~dodo
    edited June 2003
    All the time...it basically spawns off of IE and then continues to run even after IE is closed. It's a fancy service launcher in other words.

~FA
    edited June 2003
    Unfortunatly it looks like i won't be able to fold on these computers... oh well i tried