Picking a tough laptop

GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 LifeAkron, PA Icrontian
edited April 2015 in Hardware

Looking for a Laptop that can take some abuse but not something like a tough book. The pastor at my church is on his 3rd laptop in 4 years. His problem is the Hinge and power cords keep snapping off in the laptop

Comments

• I'd check out the Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro. Fancy pants hard to break hinge + USB powered so less problems related to traditional laptop power plugs.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

Does any other company besides Apple have a quick-release charging cable like MagSafe? I'd start with that.

For most people a Mac is overkill, but if someone really has that much trouble with the cables, it might be worth investigating if there aren't alternatives out there.

• GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian

Problem is his Software is only windows.

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

@GnomeWizardd said:
    Problem is his Software is only windows.

This is not a problem. See: Bootcamp, VMWare Fusion

@mertesn said:
    This is not a problem. See: Bootcamp, VMWare Fusion

While not a problem for me and you but to someone who uses the PC for writing sermons and thats all he knows howto do it could be problematic

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

@GnomeWizardd if all he is really doing is word processing and probably some web browsing. I'd look into the HP Streambook. It's basically just an Office 365 machine. It's cheap. Don't know much about it's toughness but it has so few moving parts it seems like a good knock around kind of toy.

• AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian

TIL that there is an entire mini-industry dedicated to software to help sermon writing. I wonder if there are "console vs. PC"-like wars that happen at sermon-giver conventions.

georgeh

@Annes said:
    TIL that there is an entire mini-industry dedicated to software to help sermon writing. I wonder if there are "console vs. PC"-like wars that happen at sermon-giver conventions.

pretty much Logos owns the software world on that side, Pro Presenter owns the media side( i mean there are other software's but they don't do everything that pro presenter does ) Then for the media creation it will be either Adobe of Final Cut Pro X

Seems like I am going to get him into a Macbook pro. Just seems to be the best fit but I am going to have to train him and that is never fun. But after 3 PCs with broken hinges and 2 Power Plugs snapped off the board The long Hinge and Magsafe are the top selling point. Most of his software is available on mac just not all.

• BlueTattooBlueTattoo Boatbuilder Houston, TX Icrontian

I don't want to sound mean, but have you considered that the laptop isn't the problem? #angermanagement

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

@GnomeWizardd said:
    Most of his software is available on mac just not all.

This is where Bootcamp and VMWare Fusion come in. You install a copy of Windows in Bootcamp and Fusion will allow Windows programs to run in what appears to be a seamless manner.

@BlueTattoo said:
    I don't want to sound mean, but have you considered that the laptop isn't the problem? #angermanagement

LOL its not the problem I agree 100% . He has teenage kids and he never carries that laptop in a case, He will be getting a speck clear case and a thule sleeve / bag for travel

• http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/e-series/e555/

Buy him a Thinkpad E. It is what I lug around all day. High quality build and it is still budget friendly.