GOG is making a thing.

KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

GOG my favorite retailer is making their own Platform called Galaxy It just entered open Beta if you want to check it out.

Comments

• PacifistoPacifisto Turnip Extraordinaire Michigan Icrontian

I am agog.

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

In beta

-Digi

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

@BobbyDigi said:
    In beta

-Digi

I said that....

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

Sorry, I meant I am in the beta :crazy:

-Digi

edited May 2015

Awww makes more sense. Also any impressions @BobbyDigi

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian

Yessss..... I've been waiting for this day. I <3 GOG...

In the beta as well... I already like Galaxy better than the Steam client, if only because it seems to be waaaaay lighter on resource usage.

UPSLynx

@ardichoke said:
    In the beta as well... I already like Galaxy better than the Steam client, if only because it seems to be waaaaay lighter on resource usage.

I think it has a lot of promise, but it definitely feels like a beta. I look forward to watching it actually develop. They also might be making the whole thing open sourced.

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

I mean: I see what they're trying to do, but almost all my games are already on Steam, and the few I've gotten from GOG, I just put in my Steam Library as a shortcut... So what benefit is there in yet another product.

Frankly, If they're not willing to force people to use their platform in order to play their games, many will see little benefit in having yet another platform running.

PirateNinja
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

@CB said:
    I mean: I see what they're trying to do, but almost all my games are already on Steam, and the few I've gotten from GOG, I just put in my Steam Library as a shortcut... So what benefit is there in yet another product.

Frankly, If they're not willing to force people to use their platform in order to play their games, many will see little benefit in having yet another platform running.

Why I'm installing it: auto-updates for my games. I have a decent library of games from GoG, and I find it rather annoying that there's a notice on the web site that updates are available for one or more of my games, but if I leave the page and come back later I have no idea what games were updated.

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

Maybe I'm not the use case they're designing for then. I have like five games from GOG, and none of them have been updated in like 15 years.

Honestly, I think it will become a better way of finding Indie games. Digi and I were talking about it, if Humble Bundle started giving out GoG keys I think we could see it take off pretty well.

I think they are relying on the whole openess thing to carry them, DRM-free games, Open Sourced launcher and platform, ability to play cross platform, (they are attempting to allow playing with steam multiplayer). It's all about the open nature where as Steam is a pretty closed platform. I kinda think they should have made Witcher 3 a GoG exclusive for at least a month.

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

@Karma said:
    Digi and I were talking about it, if Humble Bundle started giving out GoG keys I think we could see it take off pretty well.

Don't they do this already? Maybe I'm thinking of something else.

@CB said:
    Maybe I'm not the use case they're designing for then. I have like five games from GOG, and none of them have been updated in like 15 years.

Since they split up a bunch of the game packs I'm now sitting at 111 titles. It's a PITA to keep them up to date.

PirateNinja

@mertesn said:
    Why I'm installing it: auto-updates for my games.

100% this.

@mertesn as far as I can tell Humble Bundle's DRM free games don't give GoG keys but just a download link from them.