[Help?] - Dual monitor purchase + setup

I'm finally ready to get a second monitor for my rig, but I don't really know what to look for when purchasing a monitor. Also all the different cables really confuse me. I know my video card has both display port and HDMI. I presume I need a splitter of some sort as well. Would prefer to spend ~$150 on the monitor. Any suggestions?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

What video card do you have now?

• dark_archesdark_arches Icrontian

@Thrax I a NVIDIA GeForce GTX760

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2015

Okay. You can connect 3 displays on that GPU without adapters. I recommend finding a deal on the Dell P2314H or LG IPS231B-BN. Fantastic monitors.

//edit: I've seen both of these displays around $150 new with coupons. Don't hesitate to look into mfgr refurbishes, either.

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

One thing to think about:

How important is it to you that things match?

Personally, i don't mind when my monitors don't match, but I've got buddies who can't use a computer if the monitor bezel colors are different, much less if they monitors themselves are different sizes.

Thrax recommends good monitors above, but also consider your desktop tastes.

• I have been putting some thought into a large 34" Ultra Wide 21:9 monitor to fit my workflow. I prefer a single monitor if I can do it, and the little time I have spent on a large Ultra Wide I have really liked it. Best of all worlds, helps immensely with workflow but gets rid of some setup and configuration work, and a bezel in the middle. Good ones seem to run at least $650 or so, so I have not pulled the trigger yet.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

I think those are a bit beyond his preferred budget of $150 though

Cliff_Forster
  • KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

What He didn't say 150 +- 430%?

Cliff_Forster
  • It's all about the OP, what about me, what about what I want :p