HELP? Changed over mobo in laptop but need advice.

Byron172Byron172 Adelaide, South Australia Member

I've recently replaced the mobo in my daughter's DELL laptop. The laptop is a Studio 1737 and the board was sold as a 1735/1737 model. The changeover went fine, however now when it boots the BIOS sees the board as a 1735 and I get a message about the processor revision not being compatible. If I prompt the Laptop to continue - it does so, and then boots up fine.
Will updating the BIOS fix the above problems or do I need to do something else? Any help is much appreciated :)

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Updating the BIOS should fix the issue

• Byron172Byron172 Adelaide, South Australia Member

Thanks prime. BTW - I just checked the BIOS updates for 1735 and I have the most up to date (A05) Will I brick this board if I use a 1737 BIOS update?

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Whew that's a tough question. Did you get the board from Dell? In some cases, yes, you can brick the board. In some cases, it works. I have no idea on this particular model unfortunately :(

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

I hesitate to mention this because I'm not able to provide the kind of advanced support you're going to need if you decide to go through with it. That said, the complaint you're seeing is almost certainly that your motherboard's BIOS does not have the processor model-specific microcode for the CPU you have installed but contains a generic Intel microcode capable of booting the computer. Using a specialized tool, you can extract the microcode from a copy of the 1737 BIOS you downloaded from Dell and load it into a copy of the 1735 BIOS to be flashed onto the computer. All warranties are now void of course. I've done this a couple of times but not in recent memory; the main thing is to figure out which company programmed the BIOS (AMI, American Megatrends, et al) and search on Google for BIOS hacking tools specific to that BIOS type. If you're lucky, you may also be able to find a how-to for performing a BIOS microcode update on a BIOS of the same type as what you're using. If this sounds scary, I'd suggest just learning to live with needing to click through that prompt every time you boot up.

Byron172
  • Byron172Byron172 Adelaide, South Australia Member

Thanks guys. I bought the board because it was advertised as 1735/1737 but have since found that it is a 1735 board that will "fit" in a 1737 but not actually a 1737 board. So unfortunately it's a mistake I'll have to just live with. Won't worry about updating BIOS but will look into updating the microcode. It'd be good if there was just a way to bypass the warning by using a BIOS setting - but no luck there either. Thanks again for all your advice. :thumbsup: