Better gaming laptop

aspieRommelaspieRommel Icrontic politicoIndianapolis, IN Icrontian

Hey guys,

After Expo, I am thinking of saving up to get a laptop that is better suited for gaming, along with my regular activities, such as email, Icrontic, random internet browsing (let the jokes fly), etc. However, I would like to keep it within a reasonable price range ($100-$1000 is what I'm looking at). Does anyone have any suggestions? Love to hear 'em. Thanks!

aspieRommel

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited June 2015

For a good gaming laptop, expect to spend $1200-$1500 at least, and for a premium gaming laptop make that $1000 more.

MrTRiot
  • Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

I'd suggest building a full on gaming PC, stock components are made to last 1-2 years just fine but start to fail somewhere after. Components purchased individually tend to be better quality and last longer, so while you spend more you'll save in the long term.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

How much do you intend to travel with this laptop? Planning to do a lot of gaming on the road?

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

I'm going to agree with @Creeperbane2 and @Thrax in suggesting a small gaming PC if you need something for portable LAN gaming but not while actually on the road. It'll be a whole lot cheaper and even more upgradeable.

If you really want to go with a gaming laptop though, I absolutely love my Sager laptop. Got it from xoticpc.com. They have good prices, good selection, and allow custom configuration of anything that they can access. Additionally, many of the Sager gaming notebooks use MXM 3.0(b?) GPUs which allows for an upgrade path. As an example of @Straight_Man's pricing range, my laptop (Sager NP8258) cost $1400 shipped. It's a custom build with an i7-4810MQ, GeForce GTX 870m, and Intel AC 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth. I have an MSDN subscription, so I skipped out on an OS which saved a bit of money too. It meets my obsessive storage "needs" too...two SATA ports, two mSATA ports, and the optical drive can be removed to add yet another SATA drive.

• aspieRommelaspieRommel Icrontic politico Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

@Thrax said:
    How much do you intend to travel with this laptop? Planning to do a lot of gaming on the road?

I would like it versatile enough to where I can use it on the road or anywhere I need it (such as the Capitol).

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian

I had a good time with the AMD A10 apu. It probably won't play Evolve well, but I used to play D3, TF2, and Borderlands 2 sitting in airport terminals for hours and was easily able to switch over to work on it and had great battery life.

I had an HP ENVY Sleekbook with an A10, and I had upgraded it to 8gb of RAM and put an SSD in it (needs to be a slim ssd), I loved it. Paid 600 for the notebook, and maybe another 150 for the SSD/ram.

This was a couple years ago, not sure what is on the market now, but thats my $.02

mertesn
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

I love my MSI Gs60. My pal has the Razer Blade, which has basically the same specs in a smaller package. I recommend either.

All great suggestions so far. Here is what I am looking for:

I want a laptop that will do work things but easily be able to play games such as MechWarrior, GTA 5, TF2, etc. without too many problems. I currently own a 2012 Toshiba Satellite with a CORE i3 system and Windows 7. I am able to play TF2 (Thank God!) without too many problems, but when I tried to play MechWarrior, the game would just freeze every match. I want to be able to get GTA 5 (which I will buy on Steam but not download to my Satellite just yet) and join @UPSLynx and them for GTA shenanigans, but I am worried that my current computer would not be able to handle it. So that is why I am wanting a better laptop for gaming.

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

@Sonorous said:
    I love my MSI Gs60. My pal has the Razer Blade, which has basically the same specs in a smaller package. I recommend either.

I went in for the GS60 Pro and it has been an excellent machine for the past year.

• MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian

@Straight_Man said:
    For a good gaming laptop, expect to spend $1200-$1500 at least, and for a premium gaming laptop make that $1000 more.

This sums it up perfectly. Laptops have a relatively high price point vs a desktop. 1000$ probably won't get you one that'll play GTA 5 without any problems unfortunately...

Okay, I may have to go a more stationary route. However, I do have a television in my room. It is a Sony Bravia. Is there any possibility that I can use it as a monitor and just buy the modem?

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

@aspieRommel said:
    Okay, I may have to go a more stationary route. However, I do have a television in my room. It is a Sony Bravia. Is there any possibility that I can use it as a monitor and just buy the modem?

WAT?

Modem?

@Sonorous said:
    Modem?

Sorry, not quite sure what the big boxy thing is called (shows how much I know).

The BIG boxy thing is called a PC or computer.

@aspieRommel said:
    Sorry, not quite sure what the big boxy thing is called (shows how much I know).

ChoochThraxMiracleManS
    edited June 2015

@Straight_Man said:
    The BIG boxy thing is called a PC or computer.

>

Thanks guys! (sarcastically) I thought a computer was the whole thing (comp, monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc.), you didn't have to go that far.

Anyway, now that we have that out of the way, can I just buy the computer and use my Sony Bravia tv as the monitor?

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

yes

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

You just have to run it through your modem first.

ThraxMAGIC

video adapter can put out what the TV needs for signal, from almost any computer that can game well, these days. BTW, computer system is all the stuff.

@Straight_Man said:
    BTW, computer system is all the stuff.

Thank you again for the clarification.

@Straight_Man said:
    video adapter can put out what the TV needs for signal, from almost any computer that can game well, these days.

So how much am I looking at for an adapter?

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian
    edited June 2015

@aspieRommel said:

Honestly nothing, pretty much all GPUs nowadays come with HDMI outs and it is like 99% certain your Bravia has an HDMI in. What I am trying to say is that you don't really need an adapter.

Computers that game well out out a variety of signals as part of themselves. The video adapter is what the video card in the computer is called, the way I was taught to say it. There are plug-in adapters for adapting one kind of signal to another, but the name for them is somewhat by what KIND of adapting they are doing rather than calling them video adapters technically. That is from an older guy so the naming might have changed. What I see these days is that some folks call the plug-in-the back of the computer adapters video adapters if they change signal type used. What I was taught is that most gaming-ready computers have video cards and video plugs-ins in back of computers are from back of card out through a hole in case, with connections soldered onto card usually.Some computers have multiple connections, to use those you use the lower ones that are a row of connectors (with computer standing up) and use the one that fits your cable.

@aspieRommel said:

About $5.

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2015

You could always build your own laptop just like we did when we were kids. You get the performance of a desktop with the portability (almost) of a lappy. It also makes for a fun project and makes you look like a real tech head! Did I mention the cost is right in line with what your budget. The important hardware is new, the case an old used case and the monitor would come from a broken machine. Oh, the biggest drawback is battery life or lack of a battery.