EXPO 2015 Beer Tasting - R41D T3H C3LL4R

RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian
edited June 2015 in Events

Hey y'all. Sorry for the delay in posting this, real life has been kind of a bastard for the last, oh, 7 months. Some of you may know, some may not, but my wife suffered a severe injury back in November, and things are finally starting to get better for her. Beer geeking has to take a backseat to Real Life BS and all.

But I haven't forgotten about doing something for Expo, I just gotta juggle my time allocation better. My problem, not yours. Anyways!

In 2014, I threw my largest tasting yet. Seating 20+ people, pouring 7 beers, and doing the food plate was a lot of work, and I'm not in a position to do that this year. My primary helper is still healing from a broken fibula, torn ligaments, and all that jazz. So we're gonna go back to what we did in 2013 - super 1337.RAR beer. Hell, maybe this will become an odd year thang.

I have too much beer that would become paperweights if I died from an aneurysm tomorrow. Some of this beer should probably be dranken.

So I'm going to be opening up my cellar to a popular vote of attendees, and then I'm going to use your feedback to craft the beer tasting.

Cellared beer tends towards the higher-ABV, towards stouts, barleywines, jet-fuel IPAs and weird amalgamations. Occasionally you get a sour or fruited beer in there, but frankly I don't have a lot of those. By Monday, I'm going to try and have a list of beers that are up for inclusion in this tasting. One of the bottles on the list, a mere 6.7oz in size, is valued on the secondary market at $80 currently.

I don't know what people will pick, I don't know how many bottles I will bring, but what I will guarantee is a selection of beer you will not have a chance to sample otherwise. We'll probably end up with a couple vintages of some awesome beers, allowing us to compare stuff to see how it's aging, mixed with one-off brews that won't ever be made again. It'll be pretty awesome.

Price per person is $50. The event is scheduled for THURSDAY, 9PM to 11PM.

Attendance will be locked in via order of responses through messaging (icrontic DM, FB message, email, TXT message, whatever is fastest for you). We'll keep this to the first 7 people UNLESS we get 14 respondents, in which case that's the cap. Doing any more than that with this kind of tasting will get messy.

I'll have the list of beers available for this tasting up by Sunday night (I HOPE). Voting will commence among the attendees and then I'll begin crafting a tasting to remember.

If you're in, message me. I'll provide further info once I have it.

Cheers, folks.

UPSLynxLeahVoice

Comments

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

INNNNNNNNNNN

RyanMM
  • aspieRommelaspieRommel Icrontic politico Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

IN!

RyanMM
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

In

-Digi

RyanMM
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited June 2015

Also,srsly, the 2013 Ryan Meray tasting was the best beer tasting experience I've ever had.

Look at some of these whales:

10 year old Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA

The legendary 2011 Founders CBS

2007 Bell's Expedition Stout.

2008 Kuhnhenn's Fourth Dementia

Avery "The Beast" Grand Cru, 2004 vintage.

This was the full lineup: http://icrontic.com/discussion/comment/876119/#Comment_876119

Seriously yall, these are once in a lifetime caliber beers. So worth it.

RyanMMGarggeorgehLeahVoice
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

Ya

RyanMM
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian

In.

RyanMM
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Oh, as is @pragtastic

RyanMM
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian

IN!

RyanMM
  • RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian

The first 7 attendees are locked in! Tasting is GO.

@UPSLynx
    @AspieRommel
    @BobbyDigi
    @Annes
    @pragtastic
    @evonnecameron
    @Bandrik
    @GnomeQueen

If I get at least 7 more responses, we'll max out at 14, but only these 7 have a guaranteed seat at this point.

Summoning @lershee, @tushon, and @Massalinie - it looks like you guys showed interest on the EPIC Sched for the beer tasting, please confirm if you're still interested after reading the OP or if you're out. I will consider your spots reserved and counting towards the next 7 until I hear otherwise.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Yes, I'm absolutely in

RyanMM
  • MassalinieMassalinie _k's Waifu Texas Icrontian

As amazing as that sounds, I think it's a bit rich for my blood this year. I'm getting back from the UK tomorrow and, well, I'm running out of money to play with. lol
    Happy drinking guys :beer:

RyanMM

No worries! This one won't be for everyone. Pretty sure @thrax would gag about 99% of my beer that'll be on this list, for example.

Thrax
  • DeathJesterDeathJester Lone Wolf Oklahoma Icrontian

In

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian

In

• lersheelershee Keeper of J Sterling Heights, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2015

IN! :D

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

In

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian

in.

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian

in

Registration is closed folks, holy crap. We blew past 14. I'll sift through this when I'm back to a PC.

• HumerusMegHumerusMeg Something, something medical professional, Fitness bitch, Sexy chef Austin Icrontian
    edited June 2015

Wow that was so fast (not that I didn't expect it to be!), just read post and scrolled down to find 14 already... Waiting list?

edited June 2015

Okay, I can make this work with 17.

@Tushon
    @Lershee
    @Deathjester
    @Ghoosdum
    @AlexDeGruven
    @DJMeph
    @GnomeQueen
    @Gargoyle
    @MAGIC
    @fatcat
    @HumerusMeg

Your seats are confirmed. I'll be posting details about what's available and you can discuss and vote on what you're most interested in hopefully by tomorrow.

Cheers!

PirateNinja
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

@RyanMM said:
    No worries! This one won't be for everyone. Pretty sure thrax would gag about 99% of my beer that'll be on this list, for example.

Likely confirmed.

@HumerusMeg said:
    Wow that was so fast (not that I didn't expect it to be!), just read post and scrolled down to find 14 already... Waiting list?

It would appear @lershee has dropped out, so by virtue of being the next person to show interest, congrats, you're in. :)

HumerusMeg
  • SodaSoda Ann Arbor, MI Icrontian

Holy cow, I go to an all day event yesterday, and this morning I get a message about this and it's already full...

• I'll jump on the waiting list.

I'd be willing to host another tasting (albeit perhaps slightly less insane) with 13 people if @Linc can get me a timeslot that won't piss all over another popular event.

GargSoda

Now that I'm confirmed I can say how effing excited I am for this. @RyanMM's tastings are what I look forward to the most out of the whole Expo lineup. When I explain to people why I use Untapped, I start to relate the story of the rare tasting in 2013 that I installed it for. But I can't really explain that tasting to people. You had to beer there. You had to share CBS with some of the best people you can imagine.

Mother. Fuckin'. Prost!

RyanMMUPSLynxmertesn

Okay folks, check your inboxes. I have sent you a transmission.

edited June 2015

Mother of God.

Edit: Dogfish Head vertical tasting anyone?

RyanMMHumerusMeg