It's that time of year again--I need upgrades!

GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz QueenMountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
edited January 2017 in Hardware

Hey guys,

So this is what I currently have:

990FX motherboard
AMD FX-8320
16gb of Crucial DDR3
GeForce GTX 960
OCZ Vertex 4 120 GB
Random 600 gb hard-drive @Soda gave me.
Some PSU

SO-- I think I need a new PSU (to go with the new graphics card)-- and I'd like a new case. The one @Thrax gave me is great, but kind of falling apart now. I would also like more storage space, and a DVD/CD drive. I'm also open to replacing anything else that you guys think looks too old.

I think I'd like to spend around $300, but I'm flexible.

I'm not sure which PSU to get, or what hard-drive; I'm eying the NZXT Phantom 410 case, but I don't know if that one is any good.

So TL;DR: Do you guys think I need any upgrades besides the case/psu/ more hard-drive space? Is the NZXT Phantom 410 a good case choice? What PSU/ hard drive should I buy?

GIBBE INFOS I KNOW U HAS

Thanks my pretties!

Comments

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

I hated my NZXT Switch 810. Got a Corsair 750D and love it. Best case I have owned since my Chenming case in the early 2000s. That's a big case though. Have you looked at any of the Corsair stuffs?

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Frankly, nothing you've posted looks especially outdated after you install the 270X.

Need more detail on the PSU. As far as cases go,, Corsair's models are universally terrific.

PirateNinja
  • KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

get the inwin 805 when it comes out in July because that fucker is gorgeous.

GnomeQueen
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

It looks like my current PSU is a Corsair TX650

Also a really great PSU that could easily handle the 270X (which uses less power @ higher performance than the 5870 you have now). So, really, sounds like you just need a new case.

GnomeQueen
  • SodaSoda Ann Arbor, MI Icrontian

holy cow when did I give you that hard drive?!

@Thrax said:
    Also a really great PSU that could easily handle the 270X (which uses less power @ higher performance than the 5870 you have now). So, really, sounds like you just need a new case.

Yay! Could I also throw another hard drive on that? Like:

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Desktop-7200rpm-Internal-Drive/dp/B0088PUEPK/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1434627024&sr=1-2&keywords=terabyte+hard+drive

Yup.

GnomeQueen

@Soda said:
    holy cow when did I give you that hard drive?!

Dunno, like 2 years ago?

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

I'd stick with one of the Corsair cases. I like the Carbide - it looks kind of similar to the Obsidian series, but not quite as wide.

So I have all my updates in-- thanks soooo much for the input and help, guys!! Unfortunately, my CPU fan is running really high all the time and it's driving me kind of insane. Are there any fan changes I can do to help alleviate that? I'm going nuts.

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

seems like your only option is to go full liquid cooling loop.

There's probably a setting in the BIOS to have the fan's RPMs adjust with temperature. Also, make sure it's plugged into the motherboard and not the power supply.

edited June 2015

@Thrax said:
    There's probably a setting in the BIOS to have the fan's RPMs adjust with temperature. Also, make sure it's plugged into the motherboard and not the power supply.

It's the CPU fan, I should have specified that. Or at least that's what I assume it is. I suppose it could also be the PSU.

Yes, the CPU fan. Make sure it's plugged into the motherboard and not the PSU. The motherboard fan headers have temperature-sensitive RPM control.

@Thrax said:
    Yes, the CPU fan. Make sure it's plugged into the motherboard and not the PSU. The motherboard fan headers have temperature-sensitive RPM control.

I never unplugged it when I moved cases, but you're right, double checking is a good idea.

edited June 2015

The CPU fan is plugged in correctly. My CPU fan is set to Smart Control (with the hardware thermal control also enabled), with current CPU temps of 46. So...I need more fans? Or a quieter fan? All of my current fans are the ones that came with the case or the piece involved. The CPU fan has always been loud, but doesn't usually consistently run this loudly all the time.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Are you sure the CPU fan is plugged into the designated four-pin CPU FAN power lead? I've seen this happen when it's plugged into a different 3- or 4-pin power lead (a normal case fan or lighting lead)

@primesuspect said:
    Are you sure the CPU fan is plugged into the designated four-pin CPU FAN power lead? I've seen this happen when it's plugged into a different 3- or 4-pin power lead (a normal case fan or lighting lead)

Yup, says cpu fan.

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian

Possible the CPU fan and it's housing came a bit loose from CPU. The motherboard header uses CPU tempurature sensing to control speed, rather than where-fan-is temp sensing the way it is wired.

I suppose I should specify-- the fan is NOT running full bore all the time-- it's definitely adjusting due to temperature. It's just running a lot faster since the upgrades than it was before. Before the upgrades, it might go full out when I'm gaming, but was relatively tame at other times-- now it's full on a lot of the time, even when I'm just browsing the internet and the CPU is only at 10% capacity. Maybe I just need a quieter fan?

@Straight_Man said:
    Possible the CPU fan and it's housing came a bit loose from CPU. The motherboard header uses CPU tempurature sensing to control speed, rather than where-fan-is temp sensing the way it is wired.

How should I check this?

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian

Unplug computer after shutting down windows.
    open side of case you stuck stuff in on.
    Wiggle fan gently by gripping outter frame of fan.
    If it wiggles, you need more heat sink gunk on CPU.
    No wiggle it is something else.
    Let us know what happens.

Did not wiggle!

What CPU fan are you using?

The one that came with the CPU. Maybe I just need to upgrade to a bigger one?

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2015

Am I to assume that this issue only began after upgrading the GPU? If so, try seeing if It makes a difference with the case side panel off. Maybe blow a house fan on everything while the side is off. The new card could just be producing enough extra heat to change how the cpu temp is running or just changed the case airflow. Newer cards take up more realestate and could just not let as much air move as easily, especially in a narrower case.

• I find the stock AVC cooler that AMD was using for awhile to be very effective for a box cooler but also extremely loud and it only gets worse with age. I'd typically throw them over my shoulder when building. For a 125watt AM3+ you want to get a decent air cooler. So few use the standard AMD clip for ease of installation. It is even harder to find one compatible with most RAM because so many clips position the fan blowing through the top of the case. I find the GAMMAXX 300 to be pretty fantastic when you consider it's price to performance to ease of AMD install ratio. I'd just swap the cooler.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835856006

For an air cooler I'd recommend the Noctua NH-D15 if your budget allows.

Sonorous