PC won't recognize 3rd Hard Drive

CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
edited July 2015 in Hardware

So I installed a clean copy of Windows 8.1 on the SSD that I won at Epic (Thanks @Ryder!) It's an OCZ Arc 100 240 GB. I am trying to use my old SSD (OCZ Vertex3 120GB) and a Hitachi 750GB Mechanical Drive as secondary drives. My issue is that I cannot get my computer to recognize both of the secondary drives. I can get either of the two to be a secondary drive alone, but if I try to connect both of them both BIOS and Windows will only recognize one.

I have a Asus P67 Extreme4 Motherboard. All of the Hard drives are Sata, and no matter what Sata port I use (there are 2 Sata3 and 4 Sata2) I can't get my computer to recognize all three drives at the same time. Any ideas?

natarceneaux

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2015

Do they appear in disk manager or the BIOS? Neither?

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Sounds like BIOS disabled ports to me.

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

@Thrax said:
    Do they appear in disk manager or the BIOS? Neither?

They do not appear in either.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Are all your drive controllers enabled in the BIOS? Any ports set to disabled?

edited July 2015

@Thrax said:
    Are all your drive controllers enabled in the BIOS? Any ports set to disabled?

As far as I can tell nothing is disabled. I can plug my BluRay drive into any of the other SATA ports and they are recognized by Windows. Here is a pic I took off the bios settings that show only two hard drives recognized.

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian

Um, turn the SATA3 Bootable on, IE to Yes.

I tried that, still no dice.

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited July 2015

Do you have the latest UEFI for the motherboard? If not, update it (UEFI = what we used to call bios).

Also, you have a Asrock P67 Extreme4, not an Asus ;)

• You're sure the sata2 controller isn't disabled? That's sort of what it looks like in the picture. I don't remember having this issue back when I had that mobo.

The SATA 2 ports are on the same chip as the SATA_0 and 1 ports. He also has the Marvell SATA3 enabled, but those ports don't show in the UEFI what is connected to them, I don't think. That is unless you go to the boot section.

Do you have the 3 drives connected to 3 of the white ports?

• @Ryder said:
    The SATA 2 ports are on the same chip as the SATA_0 and 1 ports. He also has the Marvell SATA3 enabled, but those ports don't show in the UEFI what is connected to them, I don't think. That is unless you go to the boot section.

True I just meant the two controllers a represented in that picture as sata2_ and sata3_ and sata2 doesn't show any drives.

@PirateNinja said:
    You're sure the sata2 controller isn't disabled? That's sort of what it looks like in the picture. I don't remember having this issue back when I had that mobo.

How would I check this?

• I think on the same page where you can enable or disable the onboard sound

I cannot find that setting.

• It could be there is no way to disable it then. @Ryder was probably on to something with this:

@Ryder said:
    Do you have the 3 drives connected to 3 of the white ports?

ftp://66.226.78.21/manual/P67 Extreme4.pdf

It basically says out of the 8 ports on the mobo only 8 are sata3.
    SATA3_0, SATA3_1, SATA3_M0, SATA3_M1
    2 of those are blue, and the other 2 are white.

So you might want to look at that manual's motherboard layout on page 12 and make sure you are using those ports for your hard drives.