First Look: Orgrim Doomhammer in the new Warcraft movie

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited May 2015 in World of Warcraft

WIRED has the first look at the new CGI Orgrim Doomhammer.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

primesuspect
  • CelshCelsh Member

That paint job is fantastic.

• ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian

That's pretty good.

• ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian

Anduin Lothar

Durotan

primesuspect
  • HydrarHydrar Columbia, MD Icrontian

Fixed shoulders (as posted on /r/gaming today)

Sazbean
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Looks like Gears of War/Warhammer as well

• KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian

Some potential good news for you WoW players; possibly, I don't know, maybe.

RyanFodder

Encouraging words, but I'll believe it when I see it. So far, there's no such thing as a good video game movie.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

It's going to suck. It's going to suck so, so bad.

http://www.indiewire.com/2016/06/warcraft-review-duncan-jones-1201683601/

"Like someone took a still photo of Aragorn and faxed it to another franchise..."

Gold.

LincMAGICSazbean
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian

The trend I've seen so far is people who don't know the source material and/or are movie people don't like it, while fans of the game range from thinking it's okay to loving it.

Reading that review reaffirms it to me. There were quite a couple lines making it blatantly clear that the critic knew nothing of Warcraft lore. And these lines were around his points that he felt the movie misstepped so much. Therefore he fits that former archtype.

So my theory is that, fans already have backstory, character expectations, and such to believe in and mold the movie's depictions to. And the movie being made by fans can bolster this effect making it good for those who know. So fans have an advantage while newcomers are at a disadvantage. Even if the creators tried to fill it in properly so that those completely new to the series could understand.

Self-fulfilling expectations also seems to be rampant on all sides of reviews for this movie. Those who give off the impression that they were expecting another bad video game movie posted that that was what they saw. Devoted fans saw everything they could have ever wanted out of this particular story.

Whenever I've seen a Blizzard cinematic, I've always thought "this needs to be a movie" not because of story, characters, or even the fantasy, but for the visual quality and style that Blizzard's cinematic team brings to the table. When finding out this movie wasn't going to have even a lick of that, I redefined my expectations for it. It already wasn't going to be the movie I wanted, even if it turned out objectively outstanding on all fronts. I personally expect it to be okay. Not terrible, but probably not spectacular as a whole. Mostly cause I personally feel that this story in the series is "okay".

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

I just can't handle cheesy lines, tropes, and cringey-ness. I feel that, based on what I've seen so far (the trailers), this movie will possess all three in scads.

MAGIC

@primesuspect said:
    I just can't handle cheesy lines, tropes, and cringey-ness. I feel that, based on what I've seen so far (the trailers), this movie will possess all three in scads.

I wouldn't doubt that.