RennFaire 2015

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited July 2015 in Events

Join us Sept 3-6 for our annual Maryland Renaissance Faire outing over Labor Day Weekend!

Typically, it goes something like this:

Thursday: Show up at @Annes & @pragtastic's place in Alexandria, VA (or early Friday if need be)
Friday: Decamp for Anne's parents' house in Maryland (near the Renn Faire) & make a big dinner and play boardgames.
Saturday: Renn Faire all day!
Sunday: ???

Because of space constraints this event caps at a dozen guests. BYO sleeping surface (there are additional beds at the parents' house, tho, Fri & Sat). Renn ticket is $19 - typically we buy them as a group just before the event so just slip @Annes a twenty.

We highly recommend flying into DCA. From DCA (Reagan), take the Metro 2 stops on the Blue OR Yellow line to King St Old Town (towards Franconia-Springfield or Huntington, respectively). We'll pick you up curbside from there if you text us (there is a bus stop & parking lot just outside the station's main exit).

Maryland Rennaisance Festival is pretty awesome. Lots of great beer on tap, seafood & other delicious fare, and a large shaded village of shops and attractions to tour around. There is the annual testing of strength at the hammer drop, axe throwing, and some good shows. New initiates should be prepared to stare in awe and wonder at the fantastic Goodly Woods stand and be severely tempted to join the Icrontic wooden mug club.

LincBobbyDigiGargWagsFTW

Comments

• Oh, so this is a thing...

_k
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

What do I have to do to get a tag around here? ;)

I also have room to host one couple/person on sofa bed and maybe one more depending on if you think carpet + sleeping bag is comfortable.

LincHumerusMeg
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

Sadly, I already have labor day plans :(

• HumerusMegHumerusMeg Something, something medical professional, Fitness bitch, Sexy chef Austin Icrontian

Sadly I have to work that weekend d/t taking time off for a wedding the following weekend... ONE DAY I WILL MAKE THIS EVENT! :D

• pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian

I think I could be in for this.

fatcatHumerusMeg
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian

@malia and I are in.

Arriving on Delta 679; 1:53 pm Friday Sept. 4th.

Departing on Delta 3360; 3:14 pm Monday Sept. 7th.

Ah yiss!

• Arrive DCA: AMERICAN AIRLINES Flight 1267, Sep 3 - 11:28 AM

Depart DCA: AMERICAN AIRLINES Flight 2340 Sep 7 - 6:22 PM

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Arrive DCA: Virgin America flight 874, Sept 3 - 5:55 PM
    Depart DCA: Virgin America flight 715, Sept 7 - 11:40 AM

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

Amended OP with subway directions.

• WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian

Oh man... I might make it out for this but have to talk to Joe. He'll have just gotten back from a 3-week-long overseas work trip earlier that week, so he might want to be a homebody.

It's been too long since I've been to this. ALWAYS a good time. And I have a fancy Renn outfit I've only worn twice.

LincTushon

I will be actively working to overstay my welcome by being both first and last.

BobbyDigiTiberiusLazarusRyanFodder
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian

Bump for searching convenience.

bump for wooden mugs and justice

edited August 2015

A reminder for the feline allergic: we have 2 cats in our house. If you typically need some sort of antihistamine around animals you should bring some along :)

In light of the recent discovery that there are cats, I will be drinking at home with the cats for the majority of the weekend.

AnnesRyanFoddermertesnUPSLynx

@Thrax I can bring my two over as well.

• maliamalia Sconnie Nation Icrontian
    edited August 2015

@Tushon said:
    Thrax I can bring my two over as well.

#thankgoodnessforsteroids

TiberiusLazarusThrax
  • @Thrax said:
    In light of the recent discovery that there are cats, I will be drinking at home with the cats for the majority of the weekend.

Let's get a shit ton of wine and then netflix with the cats.

AnnesUPSLynx

@Tushon said:
    Thrax I can bring my two over as well.

I will cut you.

@TiberiusLazarus said:
    Let's get a shit ton of wine and then netflix with the cats.

YES. We can watch GhostCat, A Cat in Paris, Top Cat the Movie, and The Rabbi's Cat!

• AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited August 2015

FYI - Metro will be running light on Monday. We should check the TripPlanner for scheduling.

On Labor Day, Monday, September 7, 2015, Metro will operate service on the following schedules:

Metrorail: The system will open at 7:00 AM and close at midnight. Trains will operate on a Sunday schedule. Passengers are advised of scheduled rebuilding work on the Red, Orange, Silver and Blue lines. Off-peak fares will be in effect all day, and parking will be free at all Metrorail parking facilities.

edited August 2015

Also the Metro ticket machine will continue to have an inscrutable user interface so plan 5-10 minutes for screaming and hitting the machine.

Ryder
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

@Linc said:
    Also the Metro ticket machine will continue to have an inscrutable user interface so plan 5-10 minutes for screaming and hitting the machine.

Never, ever go to Italy.

Thrax
    edited August 2015

On my last trip thru, I owed $2.20 at the exit. I had a ticket with $2.00 on it, a ticket with $1.00 on it, several major credit cards, and a $50 bill.

There was absolutely no way for me to exit the station successfully using the machines provided. A friendly attendant took the $2 ticket and had to let me thru manually.

Annes

I'm considering just getting a number of metro cards, linking them to my account and letting people just give me money for how much they use and they can just have the card for the time they are here (e.g. it would have helped immensely when my family came to visit).

@Linc said:
    ... and a $50 bill.

Who carries $50s?

Annes

@pragtastic said:
    Who carries $50s?

Hate.

• GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

I've never had any problems navigating the metro or the metro machines in DC :p

ardichoke
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited September 2015

Guys, Saturday is SINGLES DAY at the Fair.

Romance Weekend:

Saturday, September 5th: Singles Meet & Mingle!

1pm - 5pm at the Dragon Inn. We encourage singles over the age of 18 to stop by for conversation and mingle with other eligible lords and ladies. Play The Numbers Game - each single is given a numbered badge to wear. See someone you catches your eye? Why then, leave a message to that number on our Singles Message Board. Who knows? A match may be made! Low-key, no pressure meet & mingle games will be played throughout the afternoon, but we encourage everyone to spend some time out and about enjoying all of Revel Grove.

WagsFTW