Path of Exile

SodaSoda Ann Arbor, MI Icrontian
Aright, who's rocking this game? This is the most fun ARPG I've played in a LONG time, possibly since D2. It's actually HARD too, which makes me very happy, and the devs listen to the community like no other, getting a patch out every week.

Comments

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    I just got it yesterday. Probably will get into it this weekend.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    I just installed it. Definitely looking forward to digging into it after talking with @pragtastic and @thrax at ICSP about it.
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    I play off and on every so often.
  • NemikanNemikan Icrontian
    I was playing this a decent bit. Its quite fun and the skill tree is nuts.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    Yeah, I got to lvl 2. "oh cool, 5 options, this is deep." zoom out* "O_o"
    Yeah the stat grid is part of what makes this game amazing. So much customization compared to D3. I have a friend that was really into D3 and he says a lot of people are selling all their gear for real money and moving that cash to PoE.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    Well I'm bumpin dis.

It was officially released and is available on steam. I've been playing a bit, and ranged characters definitely feel a bit better to play. (My last experience with melee characters was pretty meh).

Is there an Icrontic guild?

I see a few people playing on steam sometimes, what hours / game modes have you been playing?
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Two questions: 1) What does the trailer mean by "deepest item system"? 2) What's the control style?
    Not sure what trailer you watched, but I am guessing:

1) They mean that items are open to how you create your character. You ability to equip them is based off stats instead of level or class. Most items (95% at least) have sockets. Those sockets and how you socket them determine how your character plays. The skills you use, and how those skills work. Think WoW with the glyph system, but better. If you want a fireball casting warrior, socket a fireball skill into your armor. Does that fireball socket link to another socket? Make your fireball do bigger explosions, deal ice damage, split into multiples, leech life, or home into a target.

2) Control system is basically Diablo. Isometric topdown, click to move, mouse buttons and number keys for abilities.

Also worth noting, I really enjoyed this game because of the barter system. Every item you pick up is useful. You sell trash for shards of things. Those shards when combined turn into an actual useful item that you can use to either buy something else with, or use. It really makes you think on how you go about the game. You can avoid trading all together and horde your shards and just make any item you find into a potentially beast item, or get rid of the shards and trade for items you know are really good. You might use more shards that way, or you might not.
    Signal
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    1) Neat.

2) Poo. Lost me at click-to-move.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    I usually play in the evenings, sometimes late late. It's a fun game though, at first I disliked the currency system but the more I play it the more cool and interesting it feels.

Melee seems to need to be super tank to survive past Cruel difficulty, recently started playing around with Spectral Throw and it's pretty cool with 2H massive dps.
  • I'm playing pretty much every evening, especially recently. Hop in mumble and play with us.

@soda started a guild (not named Icrontic yet, fixitfixitfixit) that we've started getting people into.

Since 1.0 I've been playing pretty much strictly Standard league. Having played through the other side leagues before I got too annoyed having my characters in separate leagues and not being able to trade gear around them. I've got a slew of characters spread from 1-75.
  • SodaSoda Ann Arbor, MI Icrontian
    The guild FINALLY got re-named to Icrontic last week xD. Expansion launches on March 5th, which also marks the release of the brand new leagues, letting the old ones merge into standard. So I'll have fresh new characters in standard, and start new ones in the new leagues, so I'm just wondering if anyone's going to play in one/both leagues.
    Even though I have a lot of stuff getting bumped to standard from Domination League, I really have no desire to play standard. I'd be willing to roll in the new hardcore league or domination variant.

I'm in a different guild right now though, not sure if I want to switch.
    I spam fill the Icrontic guild bank with leveling items. There were close to 2 tabs full of uniques alone. One of us.
  • ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
    I played a bit of the game and I went back to playing Diablo 3 afterwards.
    edited March 2014

Got two witches to Cruel only to get insta-sploded by being tired or reckless. The new invasion unique bosses are scary as hell. Really need to figures out a way to get Mind Over Matter and Eldritch Battery going so I can keep arctic armor and Incinerate up. Act 2 Cruel is really fragile for me right now, even with 2k HP and almost max resists.

Not to mention corrupted areas. Scary as hell.

God I hate the chaos rain bullshit from that last vid.

This post is a bit delayed, but the first true expansion to Path of Exile is finally out! It adds Act 4, and an accompanying list of monsters, items, skills, and passives. Many of the games systems have been revised to be more balanced and streamlined, so the game is more fun for people not dedicating a ridiculous amount of time to it (you can purchase skill gems from vendors! totally re-written net code!). A summary of the expansion can be found on the site: https://www.pathofexile.com/theawakening, and the full patch notes here: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1304441 (there's a lot of stuff to skip if you're going to brave the full notes, but important stuff is the first third really).

Along with a ton of quality of life improvements is the item filter, which allows you to filter what items you actually see drop on the ground. One of my favorite streamers, ZiggyD, did a video on filters where he goes over a gigantic item filter he wrote with contributions from the community, designed to be a comprehensive set of rules for all players. It changes as you level so you can always keep the filter relevant to your current level (like highlighting items that the highest level you can equip), without making you go in and keep changing it to decide what you don't care about anymore. The description has the actual text for the filter, and the video has the explanation on the simple installation:

I wrote a wonkier filter with a much different goal. Instead of making sure not to hiding anything that could be of value like that one, mine is designed to streamline end game mapping, making sure to only highlight things that have the best chance of being valuable (only the best tier of armor/weapons etc.), while significantly dimming or hiding the rest. It has very bright colors and loud alerts so I can run things quickly with very low clutter, while picking up the statistically best items and not miss things that are quick and valuable to pick up: http://pastebin.com/TceXr1Gt

A mostly accurate tool that can show you a quick preview of how a filter will look is here: http://bschug.github.io/poedit/poedit.html. The text editor is crap, but it allows you to mess with things and see how they look more or less.

Aright everyone, it's big PoE expansion time again. It seems like of their big patches, one per year is big enough to qualify as an expansion, so that's probably the one I'll play (I invest so much time that I wouldn't want to do that more than once a year).

https://www.pathofexile.com/ascendancy

Actual end-game content being added, what amounts to prestige classes being added (which are BANANAS), which will also result in a suuuper big overhaul to the skill tree. Also the usual slew of new skills, unique items, and of course a new league, which will hopefully be more interesting than the current Talisman league.

The release date is March 4, a little over two weeks away. I am going to be playing in the new league, and I'm gonna play a LOT, because I can finally play my favorite build again with the ascendancy classes making it work, and I played a lot in the awakening expansion last year and that was really satisfying. Thoughts?

I'll be playing. Should end up with a lvl 90 in the current Talisman League. Really hard to pick what to play because there's so many options. I played a non-crit arc templar and a flask nodes facebreaker infernal blow scion.

If Bladefall/Blade Vortex aren't nerfed to nothings I might play that. Or try out a Totem build. The new Ascendancy classes really are pretty crazy. Hard to decide what to play until more info comes out about balance changes.

Cap crit Voltaxic LA will now be possible. It will be glorious. Pure, unadulterated glory. I think bladefall/vortex will survive the patch, so that would be interesting.

I have a Voltaxic LA Blast Rain Ranger i've played around with on standard a little and it is a pretty good time. Voltaxic Sparkers are pretty great as well. Not having to worry about reflect makes things really faceroll.

I'm not sure how much the regular passive tree is going to change because they just re-did a lot of the right side of the tree. The new enchant orbs, uniques, and skill gems look pretty interesting.

It's going to change a lot to balance the crazy ascendancy classes. They're so crazy, either they or the normal tree have to change. Everyone can get cap crit, everyone can get cap block...some even cap spell block...it's too crazy.

edited March 2016

I dinged level 81 with my RF Totem Chieftain. I mostly wanted a super cheap build that could do Atziri, which is where I am pretty much. I'm not sure I can do Atziri with just a 4 link, but the damage really is insane. I pretty much pop a totem in the middle of a mob, whirling blades past them and by the time I am out of whirling blades that whole mob is melted. Once I have good enough rares on ammy and belt I should be able to add a Doedre's Damning for +1 curse for 3 curses total.

I'm sitting at 4.3k life capped resists currently. Going to get a max roll Carcass Jack to hopefully 6 link someday. Add a Doryani's Catalyst and a properly enchanted Doedre's and I'm pretty much maxed on this character.

If I have time I'd like to roll another character, though not sure what. Earthquake seems crazy overpowered though, so maybe some kind of berserker earthquake build.

So far Perandus has been pretty cool. I'm hoping to get the Perandus Mansion Map sometime. Currently sitting at 3k+ coins so I'll be able to buy it if it pops up.

This league has been absolutely crazy. The changes to the trade system combined with the coin system have flooded the market with an unprecedented amount of items, making EVERYTHING cheaper and more obtainable. I'm glad this is the league I set up to flash farm and stay ahead of the curve, because getting dual 6 links on my level 93 LA assassin has trivialized most content that can't one shot me, which is why I planned my tree really life heavy to sit at 7k. This is even more fun than I had hoped, and is probably the most fun I've ever had playing PoE. I might have to roll a new character soon so I have something to spend my currency on. What's the most expensive build that I will never get to play except this league...flicker strike maybe?

Btw, what is your username? I thought you were on my friend's list but I didn't see you on at all. Also, you don't seem to be in the IC guild?

My character name is Supsonny on PSC. I'm in a guild from back when some of my friends played, but now they are rarely on and those that do barely reach merciless.

As for a really expensive build the only thing I can think of is some kind of low-life wander using kinetic blast or barrage. I dunno though, i've only ever 6-linked 1 item and had my first Tabula drop this league. My alt is probably going be a CoC cycloner using scold's bridle.