Windows 10 launches this week. AMA.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Hey it's called "ask me anything", not "guarantee me an answer everything"

ThraxGHoosdumRyanFodderErrorNullTurnip
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

How was your Monday?

What is your favorite dish that @HumerusMeg has made for you?

I like my Scotch cold but not watered down. Whiskey stones don't do the trick. Dry ice in my Scotch a good idea or bad idea?

-Digi

HumerusMegUPSLynxGnomeQueen
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian

@BobbyDigi said:

I like my Scotch cold but not watered down. Whiskey stones don't do the trick. Dry ice in my Scotch a good idea or bad idea?

Try these.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

@primesuspect said:
    Hey it's called "ask me anything", not "guarantee me an answer everything"

Some people's kids, Brian. They're just not hip to reddit and these newfangled acronyms.

Ryder
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian

@Annes said:

I don't know about scotch, but I love those ice spheres for my Manhattans. Also, @Linc... quoting posts is so broke. FIXITFIXITFIXIT

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian

@GHoosdum said:
    I work in the incredibly technologically backward healthcare industry, where many applications are compatible with MSIE 9 at best. In fact, most don't even work with IE 11 in compatibility mode, they're just that bad. Despite the technological backwater, physicians can't resist "free" so I anticipate a lot of free Windows 10 upgrades going on. Can IE 8 and 9 be installed in Windows 10, or is my industry in for a world of application incompatibility pain starting tomorrow?

Compatibility view is one option (which you've stated) but also look into Enterprise mode for Internet Explorer... It's a registry setting that points IE to a master config file that lists how IE should render a particular webpage. (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Dn640687.aspx)

And, no, IE 8, IE9, and IE10 are not compatible with Win 10. As of January 2016, with Windows 7, and Win 8.1, IE11 will be the only support browser other than Microsoft Edge. (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/microsoft-internet-explorer)

Kwitko
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian

Would you rather fight 100 duck sized windows 10 or 1 horse sized windows 10?

GargErrorNullTurnip

@RyanFodder said:
    Would you rather fight 100 duck sized windows 10 or 1 horse sized windows 10?

100 duck-sized Windows 10. I'm confident I could Godzilla them.

mertesnErrorNullTurnip
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

It's almost like they finally realised that the best thing that ever happened to Windows was how easy it was for everyone to get ahold of 3.x, and that all the stuff they've done since then to curb piracy (and make it tougher for paying customers to do their thing in the process) only hurt their business.

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

Be sure to run through the privacy settings. There is quite a lot that's shared with Microsoft and/or others by default such as wifi passwords (shared with contacts, though not in plaintext), location services, advertising ID (along with some account information), and Cortana usage.

Put more simply, if you have configured privacy settings on your phone, look for the same things on your computer.

ErrorNullTurnip
    edited July 2015

You don't even have to provide your old key. Microsoft is doing some sort of backend activation that allows you to clean install with an ISO, and that system will activate when it's online for the first time. It's presently unclear how that activation will continue working if you change hardware.

You must first go through the upgrade for this to function as described.

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

Regarding the privacy settings, how much of this masterpiece of MS Paint editing is legit?

• SignalSignal Icrontian

So hypothetically, if I were running a version of Windows 7 that wasn't 100% legit, how would I purchase windows 10? I've looked all over the site but it keeps looping back to the "upgrade from windows 7 or 8 for free!" page.

edited July 2015

@Signal said:
    So hypothetically, if I were running a version of Windows 7 that wasn't 100% legit, how would I purchase windows 10? I've looked all over the site but it keeps looping back to the "upgrade from windows 7 or 8 for free!" page.

Rumor is you can claim your upgrade and go legit for free. Offer good for one year. Need these updates installed to get the offer:

For Windows 7 SP1:
    KB3035583
    KB2952664
    For Windows 8.1 Update:
    KB3035583
    KB2976978

@Gargoyle said:
    Regarding the privacy settings, how much of this masterpiece of MS Paint editing is legit?

The WiFi Sense feature gives me the creeps, but otherwise this just strikes me as shitty Reddit tinfoil hatting.

• @Gargoyle said:

Are there any good explanations of this Cortana thing? I assume it is supposed to do what Google has been doing. Learning you through access to lots of your info and using that in part to make some things easier for you.

But what can it actually do now? Is it worth giving them that info at this point?

@TiberiusLazarus said:
    But what can it actually do now? Is it worth giving them that info at this point?

Yes, Cortana is Microsoft's take on the digital assistant a la Siri or Google Now. Here's a pretty comprehensive list of what Cortana can do: https://techranker.net/cortana-commands-list-microsoft-voice-commands-video/

TiberiusLazarus
  • @Thrax said:

So without putting you on the spot too much, you do anticipate some improvements to existing DX11 titles by simply going to Windows 10 and updating to the latest graphics driver?

Sandbagging a bit, what would you say the impact is potentially like in terms of performance boost? I mean I know it's difficult to say without knowing what a specific rig is running, but for a typical 1080P gamer, a guy that has at least a healthy modern quad core CPU and a good $200 or so graphics card at least, do you anticipate noticeable gains of at least 10% or more in some DX11 titles simply through improved WDDM 2.0 drivers?

@Cliff_Forster said:
    Sandbagging a bit, what would you say the impact is potentially like in terms of performance boost? I mean I know it's difficult to say without knowing what a specific rig is running, but for a typical 1080P gamer, a guy that has at least a healthy modern quad core CPU and a good $200 or so graphics card at least, do you anticipate noticeable gains of at least 10% or more in some DX11 titles simply through improved WDDM 2.0 drivers?

Probably closer to 5-7% max. Not huge, but it's free.

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian

@Thrax said:
    Probably closer to 5-7% max. Not huge, but it's free.

Is that 5-7% max enough to overcome Cliff's fear of change though? :wink:

ThraxMt_GoatGnomeQueen
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian

FYI... Windows 10 Enterprise is dropping in two different flavors. Normal Windows 10 (32 and 64-bit) and the LTSB (Long Term Servicing Branch). This is more like the traditional locked in features like with Windows 7, Windows 8,and Windows 8.1. Only security and bug fixes will be released. All the new features that are slowly rolled out to other Windows 10 users will NOT be rolled out to LTSB users.

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian

Will there be an update (junk) folder of rollback files like a regular upgrade?

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian

It's installing on my home machine at the moment while I'm at work - started it over lunch. Pretty snazzy on the front end, we'll see how the rest works when I get back tonight.

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

@Snarkasm said:
    Pretty snazzy on the front end.

Sounds like my ex-wife.

MAGIC
  • DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso Kelso 'The Great Asshole' San Jose, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2015

Question for a friend on the tech preview.
    How do they upgrade? They've got a legit copy of Win7/key, but can't roll back to Win7 because the laptop is being a pos. They're on Tech Preview, should they download the ISO via http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10? Would that work when installing if they just provide their Win7 key?
    Note they did a clean install of the tech preview and not the upgrade to it

@csimon said:
    Will there be an update (junk) folder of rollback files like a regular upgrade?

Yes. The Windows.old folder will be the primary source, and can be removed with the Disk Cleanup application if you're satisfied with the upgrade.

@DontCallMeKelso said:
    Question for a friend on the tech preview.
    How do they upgrade? They've got a legit copy of Win7/key, but can't roll back to Win7 because the laptop is being a pos. They're on Tech Preview, should they download the ISO via http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10? Would that work when installing if they just provide their Win7 key?
    Note they did a clean install of the tech preview and not the upgrade to it

When did they install the technical preview? What build do they currently have on their machine? Is this build currently activated?

• DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso Kelso 'The Great Asshole' San Jose, CA Icrontian

@Thrax said:
    When did they install the technical preview? What build do they currently have on their machine? Is this build currently activated?

June 15th-20th (just over a month ago)
    Will find out the rest. How can they tell if currently activated?