Windows 10 launches this week. AMA.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2015

@DontCallMeKelso said:
    June 15th-20th (just over a month ago)
    Will find out the rest. How can they tell if currently activated?

Open control panel and go to the System pane. At the bottom the activation status will be reported with the blue "ask for genuine" badge. If it is indeed activated, then set the Windows Update to fast ring. If your friend opted into the Insider Preview program, he/she should get pushed build 10240, which is the shipping version of Windows. This person will not receive a CD key suitable for a clean install, but will receive indefinite updates that will keep the system genuine and activated for as long as they continue to accept fast ring updates.

DontCallMeKelso
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian

Can you comment on your upcoming movie "Rampart?"

• DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso Kelso 'The Great Asshole' San Jose, CA Icrontian

@Thrax, they're activated and on 10074, is the only way to get onto the public release to roll back or can they do the upgrade directly?

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian

I have Windows 8.1 legit and it's telling me I can download Windows 10. Knowing I'm getting a new mobo/cpu in November, I'd prefer just to do a fresh install then of 10 and leave 8.1 alone for now. Is this possible?

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

@fatcat said:
    I have Windows 8.1 legit and it's telling me I can download Windows 10. Knowing I'm getting a new mobo/cpu in November, I'd prefer just to do a fresh install then of 10 and leave 8.1 alone for now. Is this possible?

Yes, AFAIK. You can download 10 to a media like USB or DVD and then install on the 'new' machine.

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian
    edited July 2015

Meh I got it figured out. Here's a gif.

_k
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

I have a 100% purchased legit copy of windows 8 pro on my home PC and I just upgraded to 10 and it's saying my computer cannot be activated and to try again later. Do you think that this is because today is crazy day and their servers can't handle the load?

@DontCallMeKelso said:
    Thrax, they're activated and on 10074, is the only way to get onto the public release to roll back or can they do the upgrade directly?

That build is ancient. If it's eligible for upgrade to RTM through Windows Update, opting into the fast ring will immediately cause the latest build to be pushed once "check for updates" is clicked.

If that doesn't work after a reboot, it's time to roll back and go legit: use the OS they own & claim the upgrade offer, or buy a Win10 license.

@fatcat said:

You have one year to claim the free Windows 10 upgrade. So, when you get your new PC parts you should install Windows 8.1, activate it, then claim the upgrade.

@primesuspect said:
    I have a 100% purchased legit copy of windows 8 pro on my home PC and I just upgraded to 10 and it's saying my computer cannot be activated and to try again later. Do you think that this is because today is crazy day and their servers can't handle the load?

I have seen similar user reports on Reddit and Windows forums, and the general consensus seems to be hammered servers. Once the panic wears off and they check again, everyone seems to activate ok. Come back in a few days and try again.

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian

So far, I like it... the new glitzy stuff is obviously nice, but the overall polish is very nice, and it's on top of what was already a good core.

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

Why would I want to use a Microsoft Account to sign into my computer?

@mertesn said:
    Why would I want to use a Microsoft Account to sign into my computer?

For the same reason you always log into your Google account on an Android device: synced settings, cloud saves, etc.

Plus it enables awesome fast PIN login.

• They want you in their ecosystem. They want you to go around binging things and echoing the intertubes.

Garg
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian

@Thrax said:
    You have one year to claim the free Windows 10 upgrade. So, when you get your new PC parts you should install Windows 8.1, activate it, then claim the upgrade.

Can I not just fresh install 10 from USB/DVD and use my 8.1 key?

@fatcat said:
    Can I not just fresh install 10 from USB/DVD and use my 8.1 key?

It remains to be seen if this 100% works correctly.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

I was able to upgrade today by using the download tool, creating USB, unplugging all extra HDDs and following these instructions (not sure if the last one was important, because I only tried unplugging drives after doing it and having that fail).

• DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso Kelso 'The Great Asshole' San Jose, CA Icrontian

Looks like I'm updating later... waiting on sound drivers to come out still so my optical audio works... you'd think 3rd party would be on top of this

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian

Just an FYI, it doesn't appear that the Windows 10 upgrade touches the bootloader. I decrypted my drive yesterday, came home from work to find that my upgrade was downloaded and ready. Started the upgrade this morning. I forgot to remove the DiskCryptor bootloader though, and on each reboot it still prompts me for a password (although that password is now blank since the disk is no longer encrypted). Of course, when I left for work this morning, it was still installing software and drivers... but the two automatic reboots it has done so far have shown that the DiskCryptor bootloader is still present and functioning. Don't know that anyone else here would care about this, but thought I'd pass the info along anyway.

StrikesGarg
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian

I'm still waiting to be part of one of these "waves" to actually get my chance to update. :wtf:

Friend's telling me right now to hold off because of a lot of crash reports coming in on this particular build, but I haven't been able to find much info about it. Any thoughts on that? If it's just the normal amount of "FIRST RELEASE GONNA KINK FOR SOME PEOPLE", then I kinda was expecting that anyway and I'll probably just go ahead with it.

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian

Would it be Windows if it didn't crash?

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian

Had no problems with mine so far. And @BHHammy, if you want to trigger a Win 10 install yourself, go to that download page Ryder linked above, download the tool, and tell it to upgrade. You're not forced to wait, it's just for all the people that 'kind want to try that new Windows 10 thing' and don't particularly care when if their PC takes care of it for them.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

Still haven't gotten my notification yet. I have sads.

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2015

@AlexDeGruven said:
    Still haven't gotten my notification yet. I have sads.

I didn't get the notification either, but I downloaded the tool from the http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 page and the first option the tool gives is to update the PC your'e running it on.

So far it seems to work.

Yeah, I've got that downloaded already, haven't had time to work it, though.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Upgraded last night with absolutely no problems.

Also, here's some tinfoil hattery for lulz:

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

My biggest complaint with windows 10 is that the little window resize close thingy (I can't remember the name of it) is so long and it looks elongated on my computer.

• AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian

@QCH is there a way for me to get my Win10 Enterprise on? I am just so impatient.

• RequitRequit That one guy Somewhere over there, I don't know Icrontian

@ardichoke said:
    Just an FYI, it doesn't appear that the Windows 10 upgrade touches the bootloader. I decrypted my drive yesterday, came home from work to find that my upgrade was downloaded and ready. Started the upgrade this morning. I forgot to remove the DiskCryptor bootloader though, and on each reboot it still prompts me for a password (although that password is now blank since the disk is no longer encrypted). Of course, when I left for work this morning, it was still installing software and drivers... but the two automatic reboots it has done so far have shown that the DiskCryptor bootloader is still present and functioning. Don't know that anyone else here would care about this, but thought I'd pass the info along anyway.

Ran into this exact same thing on my computer. Granted, my machine blue screened coming back up after the update and has failed every attempt thereafter to install it. I've uninstalled the DiskCryptor bootloader and am trying again.