It's another loot thread! (8/2/2015)

MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von PuttenhamCalifornia Icrontian
edited August 2015 in World of Warcraft

Kay guys,

Master loot or personal loot?

Quickly:

1. Both loot styles have similar amounts of loot given, probabilistically speaking.
  2. Personal loot has the benefit of dropping something that can be used (ie, it will give plate-classes plate and mail-classes mail). Master loot may drop a bow when there are no hunters.
  3. Master loot has the benefit of making all loot tradeable (ie, people that don't need upgrades can pass loot to people that do). Personal loot immediately ties loot (downgrades or sidegrades) to whoever looted it, stopping them passing it to someone that needs it.
  4. Both styles are equally easy/hard (yes, personal loot is simpler, but Icrontic has never had loot-fights, and the only time looting has slowed down the raid was when I accidentally left it on 'group loot.' Thus, the difficulty of both is trivial).

I tend to believe that master looting is better for the group as a whole and promotes a more social situation, and that personal loot is egregiously wasteful.

As a side note, I am toying with the idea of doing master loot for early bosses and personal loot for later bosses - the more people that need loot, the less wasteful personal loot is... the fewer people that need loot, the more beneficial master loot is... and on early bosses, fewer people need loot.

Discuss!

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

I have found personally that I tend to get more loot via Personal loot. Whether this has to do with my legendarily bad luck or whatever, I don't know, but RNG hates me and Master Loot tends to get me less gear than letting the game decide what I get. My vote is personal for that reason and also for the fact that getting "useless loot" has happened quite often in our raid in ML. People think it "feels" like we're getting more or better loot in ML but in reality you're just seeing a lot of useless purples that don't actually get used.

Myrmidon
  • SazbeanSazbean Paladins. Lawful good & violent about it. Chelsea, MI Icrontian

I think personal vs. master depends on the situation. If we're doing beginning bosses where only a few people need loot, than I rather do master loot to enable a better chance for those people to get something. If we're doing later bosses where most of the raid needs loot, I rather do personal so there's a chance of more people getting something useful. My philosophy is that the group, as a whole, gets the best loot possible depending on the situation.

MyrmidonDarthraiders
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian

Welp, based on the overwhelming response, seems like only brian and sarah have opinions... therefore, we're going to have a knock-out drag-out Paladin vs Priest rap-battle dance-off hotdog eating contest to solve this pickle!

Saturday, Saturday, SATURDAY!

But srs, barring any more discussion I'll probably just get off my ass and figure out who needs loot on what boss, then switch back and forth between personal or ML on a per-boss basis. Which requires me to bust out old spreadsheets... oh, the laziness!

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

I'm going to direct some of the new raiders to the thread; I suspect that many people don't know how to forum.

• MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian

I was looking forward to watching you chow hot dogs while popping, locking, and busting rhymes.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

FWIW as a hiatus person:

MLing farm bosses and personal looting tier/progression bosses is probably an ideal mix.

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

From a guy that can't seem to make it to Raid.. I agree with @Thrax. Although I need something from everyone so I will just be bonus rolling a lot. Heh.

• SusurroSusurro Dubuque, IA Icrontian

I also agree that a mix would be best.

However, I reserve the right to complain when we are on personal loot and someone else gets something that I need. They probably ninja'd it from my loot.

RyderRyanFodderRahnalH102
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian

Sorry, I've been away from home for almost a week.

I think the mixing where appropriate is the best idea for the reasons you stated. As we complete sections more and more, and the usable loot table gets smaller Master Loot may yield upgrades more often. For others where the table is still pretty large, Personal may be better.