World of Warcraft: Legion discussion

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited August 2015 in World of Warcraft

New expansion: Legion
New Level Cap: 110
New "Class Halls" (garrisons for classes?)
New continent: The Broken Isles
New class: Demon Hunter
Artifact Weapons
New Honor System

Comments

• ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

World of Orcraft

• SusurroSusurro Dubuque, IA Icrontian

I feel like some of the problem with the current expansion was rehashing old content. This will have the same issue...

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

The Broken Isles are the fallout from The Sundering.

• SusurroSusurro Dubuque, IA Icrontian

ooo, Dalaran as a main hub again? I do like that.

Sounds like Artifact Weapons are a class quest :D

Artifact weapons bring skill trees. That is awesome.

This is.... A class expansion

"Introducing... Double Jump"

Crowd goes wild

Demon Hunter page is up. Only available to elves.

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

Beta later this year, wow, WoW.

I got my dungeons, leveling weapons/gear, alternate advancement trees, class-specific quests and xmogs and a few more. Cautiously optimistic, but still not at all happy with answering dropping subscriber count with a faster xpac hamster wheel to suck in box sales.

WORLD OF WARCRAFT
    EVERYTHING IS MERELY A SETBACK

Chooch
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian

@Thrax said:
    WORLD OF WARCRAFT
    EVERYTHING IS MERELY A SETBACK

How I feel after every raid change.

Call me a cynic, but...

WoW got another leather-wearing melee class. Should be totes awesome for raid comp, guisz.

• TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited August 2015

Cynic. (I totally agree)

New class: Totally not a monk guys I swear.

Okay, here are my thoughts.

1. I am encouraged by the return to form for dungeons. I mentally ranked this wish pretty highly when I was putting together my list of ideas for the xpac we now know as Legion. What remains to be seen is how these dungeons will remain relevant throughout the lifetime of the expansion. It's relatively easy to exhaust the value of dungeons, even with 9 of them in play.
    2. I am encouraged by the artifact weapons. This fulfills my desire(s) for Path of Exile-style alternate advancement trees, class quests, and itemization that levels. However I am concerned that 5.6 million people are going to have approximately the same weapons, and that substantially detracts from the word "artifact."
    3. I am ecstatic that PVP and PVE are going to be balanced separately. The cohabitation of these vastly different play styles has had a seriously poor effect on Blizzard's overall ability to redefine what classes can do.
    4. I am disappointed that we will again be surrounded by Orcs and Demons. The Burning Legion is an extremely tired story line.
    5. Demon Hunter going to melee+leather was a very poor idea for raid comp and itemization. The game now stands at 4 leather, 3 cloth, 3 plate, 2 mail. There was an obvious way to balance this. OTOH, adding another tank to the game is a great idea given the ongoing difficulty of finding tanks. I want to see how they plan to substantially differentiate this class from the play style of the Monk, because right now DH looks roughly equivalent.
    6. Class Halls sounds like a good evolution of the garrison to socialize the game without cramming everyone into a major capital city all the time. The "Champion" system sounds like a riff on EverQuest's mercenary system, where you can hire NPC followers to form a "group" of your own in the world as a solo player. Or, at least, an extension of the WoD Bodyguard system. It's good that these followers will be less Facebook Game and more integrated with your actions in the overworld.
    7. Speaking of capital cities, returning Dalaran is an outstanding idea. It was one of the best hubs the game has ever seen.
    8. +10 levels, but no explanation of how or why those levels will matter? This makes me nervous.
    9. Bringing out the Titan card is a good idea. Should evoke some nice Wrath of the Lich King nostalgia. Ulduar was one of WoW's most beloved raids, and dungeons like Uldum and Maraudon have always gone over well.

More as I digest.

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited August 2015
    1. Looked more like elves and demons to me.

I typed a 4 there, why is it changed to a 1 when I submit the post? @Linc

• Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

Was that a.....moose tauren?

edited August 2015

Here are mine:

1. I am cautiously hopeful that the overall expansion seems to be "Return to Azeroth, return to old zones, and go through one huge, detailed, expansive class quest to get your artifact customized the way you want then kick some ass with it". From that perspective, it feels more like an RPG (remember those?), where you're more focused on your character rather than just being part of some big war.
    2. I like the idea of Class Halls, though they could screw them up royally by making them all hype and no substance. Hopefully they're well-implemented.
    3. Demons? shrug. Still better than orcs. At least we're done with spikes, iron, and fire for a while. Everything will be green and fel-flamey tho
    4. I love the idea of a "weapon talent tree", which opens up new avenues to customize our characters, BUT... as we've seen in the past Blizzard isn't great at balancing class choices.... We could run into another situation where there's only one REALLY viable talent path... and we run the risk of being a "noob casual" if you don't min-max and have the exact same talent tree selection as every other good player. Clarity of Power SPriest, I'm looking at you. Sure, they can always fix it and rebalance it in a future patch, but still; I fear that there will only be one viable path for your Artifact.
    5. While I love the idea of a new class and am totally ambivalent about armor choice (though another mail class would have been cool, but I also get how it makes no sense for the class), I actually wish we'd have seen a shakeup of the entire DPS/Tank/Heals meta. As I mentioned in the previous thread, it would be amazing to have a fourth role rather than a "fast and agile green Death Knight" class. I'd love to see a new ROLE (like support, CC, buffs, etc) and a new spec for many classes rather than just a new class.
    6. I like the idea of Dalaran up and moving to the new continent and becoming the hub again.
    7. I am VERY excited to return to Azeroth.
    edited August 2015

I'm fairly convinced that the weapon talent trees will be min-maxed. It's the destiny of every MMO. It is as inevitable as a major lore chararcter "dying" and coming back to life!

TiberiusLazarus
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

@Ryder said:
    I typed a 4 there, why is it changed to a 1 when I submit the post? Linc

Any number and a period converts to an ordered list in Markdown, which HTML naturally renumbers.

1. One
    1. One
    1. One

Becomes:

1. One
    2. One
    3. One
    Ryder

Yeah this isn't an orcs expansion. Titans, Demons, Elves. War of the Ancients stuff.

BHHammyDocFrazier

edited August 2015

And more usefully: http://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/13199-wow-legion-interview-with-tom-chilton-ion-hazzikostas/

Some key takeaways:

You will not get weapon drops in Legion. Something that wasn't mentioned during the reveal is that each Artifact has a number of Relic slots, which will determine its raw item stats (DPS, ilvl, etc.) and modifiers to the traits you've chosen, so the Artifact's stats will still improve as you defeat bosses.

Now all of us melee can bitch about 57 weeks of no +DPS relics, instead of no new weapons. ;)

Professions are getting a lot of new stuff. The professions team for Legion is the largest that Blizzard has ever had for WoW, and they clearly heard the feedback that professions were underutilized in Warlords and overlapped with the Garrisons too much.

SOme things not shown anywhere else:

An expanded trailer:

Chooch