Windows 10 launches this week. AMA.

Comments

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

My OEM Win7 Ultimate and my Win8.1 retail did the same thing. No matter what I do the installer says the key is invalid and can;t be activated.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Looks like there is a route for OEM (but I didn't have to deal with this because I had a retail copy, so no vouch).

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install/the-free-upgrade-to-windows-10-for-windows-7-oem/b622ef33-ac69-4ca1-b7d1-9aa08321809f?auth=1

• SignalSignal Icrontian

So basically if I wanted to build a new pc it can't have windows 10?

Retail license had no problem upgrading, so buy a retail license instead of OEM?

• @Signal said:
    So basically if I wanted to build a new pc it can't have windows 10?

Sure it can, you just have to buy a copy. Same as ever.

• Just in case anyone hasn't found this advice elsewhere, El Reg has a round up of the privacy settings you probably want to tweak (with links to the specifics on each one)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/03/windows_10_privacy_defaults

• SignalSignal Icrontian

@ardichoke said:
    Sure it can, you just have to buy a copy. Same as ever.

They just got their Windows 10 store page up. Before today, every "buy" link looped back to the upgrade instructions for upgrading for Windows 7 and 8.1.

• @Signal said:
    They just got their Windows 10 store page up. Before today, every "buy" link looped back to the upgrade instructions for upgrading for Windows 7 and 8.1.

You could always buy it through a retailer like NewEgg if the Microsoft store is down.

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian

Now when I try to download windows 7 from microsoft to reinstall it, they tell me my key is invalid and wont let me download the ISO. Bill gates just really wants me to pirate this shit. Super frustrating.

• I had to wrestle a little with my graphics driver install, but beyond that it's been mostly a good experience. Cortana is a fantastic feature. Finally multiple desktops. Edge has some promise. I like where it is headed but I do find it to perform a little wonky with multiple tabs going.

I have tested a few games. Most things seem to be running great out of the gate. The one problem I have encountered is with the Unreal Tournament Pre Alpha. The latest build and the newest AMD graphics driver don't seem to play nice together. I have tested it on two different sets of hardware. Other than that, I have to say for a product in it's first week it's been pretty easy to get along with. Device drivers mostly migrated fine. No feeling of weirdness that you sometimes get from an upgrade install vs. doing it clean, and I was going from 7 to 10. I'm even kind of liking the ability to adjust the live tiles on start vs. the task bar. I'm still tweaking and customizing my experience, and everything about it seems pretty intuitive.

• Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

Here's my question, when I went from 8 to 8.1 it was nice, easy and took about 2 hours. No muss, no fuss, no backup required. Will going up a full version be any different, or should I just run into it?

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian

Always back up your stuff before changing major versions.

GHoosdumCreeperbane2
  • @Straight_Man said:
    Always back up your stuff.

FTFY

• SignalSignal Icrontian

@Creeperbane2 said:
    Here's my question, when I went from 8 to 8.1 it was nice, easy and took about 2 hours. No muss, no fuss, no backup required. Will going up a full version be any different, or should I just run into it?

8 to 8.1 was just a service pack. Same engine, just replacing the timing belt, plug wires, and maybe an oil change while you're under the hood. 8.1 to 10 is a whole new engine.

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian

That said, it was still pretty no-muss, no-fuss.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Work PC upgraded. Smooth sailing.

• Just updated my workstation, took maybe 40 minutes? All is well, even old visual studio is still playing nicely. First impressions: more black, blurry icons, and the start screen is now small and not full screen. Giant Multiplayer Robot, and I assume any oneclick application, needs to be reinstalled.

Garg
  • Serious question for @Thrax! I have basically heard the DX12 is going to help utilize multi core CPUs more efficiently, which is great because I have like 800 cores or whatever. However, I have a DX11 video card. So in order to take advantage of DX12's CPU performance benefit, I would need a DX12 video card right?

@PirateNinja said:
    Serious question for Thrax! I have basically heard the DX12 is going to help utilize multi core CPUs more efficiently, which is great because I have like 800 cores or whatever. However, I have a DX11 video card. So in order to take advantage of DX12's CPU performance benefit, I would need a DX12 video card right?

If your GPU is only capable of DX11, then yes.

• More curious, not sure if you can answer. Do nvidia/amd generally get a temporary spike in gpu sales on new DX releases? I'm irrationally tempted to buy a new video card even though I absolutely don't need it just so I can say I'm using DX12.

New APIs generally encourage upgrades, yes. People want to be ready for the next several years of game releases, even if they're not frequent upgraders.

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    edited August 2015

Finally got the Windows 7 box to upgrade. I had the issue with the system reserved drive not having enough space. Fixed it with a few lines in command prompt in a reddit post. I'll let it run and check it in the morning.

Edit : Success. @Zanthian posted a working fix for that issue. Install worked flawlessly after that guide.

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian

Finally got Win 10 Home on my Dell. Went through heck doing it, but it works. Ended up buying a USB key form Microsoft store.

• BlueTattooBlueTattoo Boatbuilder Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2015

@Sonorous said:
    Finally got the Windows 7 box to upgrade. I had the issue with the system reserved drive not having enough space. Fixed it with a few lines in command prompt in a reddit post. I'll let it run and check it in the morning.

If it works, share the fix. My Windows 7 system disk is a 120 GB SSD, so I may have the same problem. I think that too little space is why my system image backup failed yesterday.

Edit: Wait. Never mind. I found it in @Zanthian's post on page 3.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

Had to reinstall because my old SSD pooped out. Got everything set up (mostly) and started gaming.

One thing I've noticed is that DiRT3 won't go full screen. I can't see it in the settings anywhere, or in the Steam settings.

Am I missing something that's new in the defaults for AMD and Win10 @Thrax?

The driver does not control application's window state.

Seems to be a google solvable problem ;)

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

True or False: "Windows 10 is spying on almost everything you do" and you have to opt out if you do not wish this to happen.

-Digi

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian
    edited August 2015

SO I am having two issues with Windows 10. Computer won't stay in sleep or sleep on it's own. And my Media keys aren't working.

Edit: think I figured this out. Stupid wake timers.