Magic player/collector: Should you buy FTV: ANGELS?

oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French CanadianMontréal, Québec. Icrontian
edited August 2015 in Gaming

So, first of all i wrote player / collector since most of these cards won't be tournament legal, and probably a lot of you play standard / draft.

so, From The Vaults (FTV) are special collector package that Magic releases once a year with a special theme. it is usually an all-foil 15 cards "set", (only one was 20 cards), having a special foil unique to the FTV cards, revolving around some of the strongest or more game impacting cards. Previous editions includes: Dragons, Artifacts, Legendaries, and even Lands.

this year, we have Angels, coming out August 21st, with the list available here.
(expect new art for Iridescent Angel, Exalted Angel, Serra Angel, and the two Akroma)

so, with a usual price tag of 120-150$, should you buy this FTV?
Well, i made a nifty file compiling the lowest and highest price of each card, in their Foil and Non-Foil version.

TL;DR,
if you don't care about foil or alternate art, buying each cards individually would cost you a bit less than 115$
if you like foils, and mostly unique art, these cards (in their previous iteration), would cost you a nice 400$

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Your FTV Angels are very different from my FTV Angels.

BobbyDigiTushononi_dels
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

@Thrax said:
    Your FTV Angels are very different from my FTV Angels.

Those who take interest in this, be forewarned your Google search will be NSFW

-Digi

Tushononi_dels
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian

I cannot BELIEVE how bad Wizards is at technology. "Hey, I know, we can do a cursory google search on an upcoming product name!" "A... a what? How much will that cost?"

See also: Magic Duels release trailer, Magic's website, MTGO client, any attempt to try to broadcast games over the 'web, D&D character builder for 4e (haven't looked at 5 yet), attempts to monetize any of their products online... for a company rolling in money, they sure seem to be scared of spending it on tech.

• MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    edited August 2015

On topic: keep an eye on Tolarian Community College and @SaffronOlive 's twitter account, and I think you'll get some pretty good insight as to financial speculation.

oni_dels
  • Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

I Play on occasion, no real format, my advice is if you want one good luck. The owner of my local board game library doesn't even know how many their sending her yet, but it is going to be a limited number of packs per shop.

• oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec. Icrontian

@Creeperbane2 said:
    I Play on occasion, no real format, my advice is if you want one good luck. The owner of my local board game library doesn't even know how many their sending her yet, but it is going to be a limited number of packs per shop.

my local store, in the suburb of the suburb of montreal, will have 25. yes it is limited, but at that price it's not everyone who'se gonna jump on it, unlike Duel Decks which usually goes for 25$ and are worth sometimes hundreds