So I set up an Acer Chromebook 15 today

Sometimes you touch a piece of kit that totally re defines the way you think about technology. Honestly I couldn't be more excited about shelling out $300 to get my own. It's that much of a joy to use. I know many folks are not sold on the idea of mostly cloud based OS, but once you taste the goodness of apps that launch instantly, a system that boots without any overhead, and one that lasts all day long on while not a single fan blows you kinda get it... This could change everything if people would just get on board with it.

The screen is gorgeous, the speakers deliver for a laptop, the build quality is far better than you would expect, and the performance doesn't seem to make sense, how does this spec run like butter? Hands down the best internal wireless adapter I have seen on a notebook (and I've set up a ton in the past several months)... The WiFi performance on this thing is screaming.

I'm being serious, after using this today, Windows 10 feels like a bit of a drag. Of course I'm still using Windows 10, because you know... Games, but if it wasn't for 3D gaming, Windows would be dead to me. (except that it's frustrations keep me gainfully employed)

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/NX.MUNAA.003

Comments

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian

@Cliff_Forster said:
    I know many folks are not sold on the idea of mostly butt based OS

I've gotten used to the idea since installing cloud-to-butt. Now I keep everything in the butt.

_kCliff_ForsterPirateNinja
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

@Gargoyle said:
    Now I keep everything in the butt.

That's what she said.

Cliff_Forster
  • It's a pleasure to see that Icrontic is still the best place on the net to discuss tech. :crazy:

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

I heart my chromebook. It's perfect for writing and grading papers on the go. It sets up and boots quick, and everything I need to work on is in the cloud anyhow, or I can use Chrome Remote PC to just use my PC at home while I'm away from it. The only thing it doesn't do is games, which is great for productivity.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

I had the first Chromebook, the CR48 (actually still have it), and I brought it with me to cover a tradeshow (I forget which one) and it was great. When you just need to work, and most of your stuff is in the cloud anyway, it's a fantastic tool. Instant boot, endless battery life, simplicity.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

Brian and I looked like CIA people that week with our completely unlabeled black matte laptops. Great stuff.

I still have and use my Cr48, but it's definitely getting long in the tooth.

I also have the Samsung one with the Exynos and it's still fantastic. Completely silent (fanless) and still does all the web stuff just fine after almost 2 years.

primesuspect
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Also: MUCH easier to lug around and travel with :D

• doabarrellrolldoabarrellroll San Jose, CA Icrontian

Chromebooks are so underrated a basic computer hardware. It has remote desktop so I can hit all the computers in my house, handles 95% of web browsing, jeez I'm even on the beta for the Chrome based version of Adobe Photoshop, runs flawlessly.