Stories from the track

aspieRommelaspieRommel Icrontic politicoIndianapolis, IN Icrontian

As we all know, I am highly involved in auto racing, mostly at my local short track. From my time at the track, I have made quite a few friends. I also have quite a few stories to tell. But I know that there are a few racers here on Icrontic. So I want to hear your stories as well as share my own. From the thrill of victory to the agony of defeat, with a few tales from the pits thrown in, what kind of stories do you have?

Love to hear 'em!

aspieRommel, Driver/owner of Icrontic Racing ;)

Comments

• doabarrellrolldoabarrellroll San Jose, CA Icrontian

Saw a 944 overtake an E36 M3. The M3 driver got frustrated and stuffed it in turn 3 after dropping a wheel at California Speedway's road course. Happened right in front of me. Let's just say the M3 driver had A LOT to say in the driver's debriefing.

Ironically enough, he was in the pit garage next to mine. Car was basically ruined. :/

• aspieRommelaspieRommel Icrontic politico Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

A story from last week:

A friend of mine races in the "Roadrunner" division at my local short track. Last week he ran the heat race and then the feature. In between, he found out something was wrong with his car. He started the feature. He started, led almost every lap, and won the 20-lap race, without power steering. Afterwards he was tired, especially his arms. It was amazing that he was able to win the race with no power steering.

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

Really bummed out I missed the TUDOR United racing series and Continental Tire Grand Prix at Laguna Seca last weekend. Went last year and shot a lot of photos, it was a blast.

Hoping to catch a series at Sonoma Raceway later this season. Racing is so good.

Went to the Go Pro Grand Prix at Sonoma this weekend for the Indycar season finale. Had an absolute blast. My first time at Sonoma, and my first time seeing Indycar since I went to Indy 500 qualifying with my family back in 1996 (when Arie Luyendyk broke the track speed record that still stands today).

The race was fantastic, even got a bonus GT-A series race before the Indycar finale. Lots of action and drama, get experience all around. Snapped a bunch of pics, here are a few of my favorites.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

It's so weird seeing Indycar in a dry, parched, brown world when I've only ever seen it on a lush green island.

Oh man, it was so hot too. My knees are sunburned, I drank a gallon of water, no shade to be seen. It was brutal, but fortunately I was prepared for it.

• doabarrellrolldoabarrellroll San Jose, CA Icrontian

Wow, that article is like 5 years old. Anyways, you should see the crashes that drivers walk away from nowadays.

McNish crashed at Le Mans a few years ago doing 160 mph+ and did not have a scratch on him. The technology going into safety is one of the biggest trickle-down tech we see in road cars today. Crumple zones, strengthened monocoque chassis (hell the McLaren P1 GTR doesn't even need a roll cage to race because the frame is SO rigid).

Policy-wise, F1 starting using a virtual safety car, which is effectively an automatic speed limiter that gets triggered when a driver is in danger on track until a the real safety car can be deployed or the issue is cleared. If you look at the number of deaths attributed to racing compared to decades past, it's unbelievable.

Hemingway did say, “There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”

• aspieRommelaspieRommel Icrontic politico Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

Well, opening night is upon me at my local short track, which means another season of crewing, and another season that I get to bring this gem out.....