General Windows 10 Discussion

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian

I do my work work on Linux. I put together presentations and documents for distribution and collaboration on Windows because office support elsewhere sucks (on Apple too) , especially when you try to quasi-collaboratively edit the content.

• @shwaip said:
    I do my work work on Linux. I put together presentations and documents for distribution and collaboration on Windows because office support elsewhere sucks (on Apple too) , especially when you try to quasi-collaboratively edit the content.

I do all my work on Linux, including document editing. Granted, not for distribution per se. Only a few other people in my department interact with the documents I edit. Libre Office hasn't failed me yet though, and no one has had problems opening or working with the documents I exported from it in Office format. /shrugs I guess it all depends on your exact workflow.

Wait, I take that back, I have a Windows VM just to use the vsphere client. I hate that thing.

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

My sister's 2013 Sager laptop did not make the transition to Windows 10 cleanly. It now experiences a hard shutdown ~30 seconds after launching any application software following the upgrade. I had her update BIOS and drivers but no dice. She's started a support thread with the vendor.

• @drasnor said:
    My sister's 2013 Sager laptop did not make the transition to Windows 10 cleanly. It now experiences a hard shutdown ~30 seconds after launching any application software following the upgrade. I had her update BIOS and drivers but no dice. She's started a support thread with the vendor.

Did she try doing a clean install off DVD? That's what it took to get my HP laptop to a point that was remotely stable.

@ardichoke said:
    Did she try doing a clean install off DVD? That's what it took to get my HP laptop to a point that was remotely stable.

That is the thing I suggested she try next if vendor support did not work out.

• I'm going along with the practice of not updating my laptops until the vendor support page for that model has drivers specifically for Windows 10.

• sigh and once again, my laptop is having WiFi issues. It will intermittently decide that it isn't able to communicate on the WiFi network, even though it's connected and has full signal. This despite the fact that every other WiFi device I have is working just fine.

I think this issue and the issues with my GPU drivers are going to be enough to get me to wipe my laptop and install Linux on it. Especially with Steam for Linux being in a pretty good state and the Steam Home Streaming working reasonably well from what I've read.

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

It amazes me how shitty laptops still feel when it comes to this stuff.

• photodudephotodude Salt Lake, Utah Member

After 5 system upgrades here is My list (not all of which are microsoft's fault)

• windows basic graphics driver tries to take over loads of graphics issues from there... (where did my Quadro driver go, oh that's right win10 doesn't understand, at least Nvidia had something ready)
    • loss of the metro app list option (I've grown to really like it)
    • the change of location for the windows update links and loss of update control options
    • hardware manufactures and software vendors who want to claim you can't upgrade since they don't want to test
    • sudden 100% hard drive usage when win updates decides to take over the system.
    • software licences for some installed programs can get lost resulting in dead programs that possibly need to be reinstalled.

I'm sure I'll add to this list the longer I use it.

• djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian

I upgraded 3 machines; my laptop, (HP Envy) my desktop, (built it just before Epic, Core i7 and Gigabyte mobo) and my work laptop. (HP EliteBook)

I had only one small problem, which I'll get to in a moment, because I'd really like to hear @Thrax's thoughts on it. My two personal computers got the migration upgrade, and my work laptop got the clean upgrade.

Before I get to the issue, I want to mention something that I did with my work laptop that I thought was pretty great. On the day of the upgrade I went to the IT department and said, "I need dis." And they said they couldn't do it because they hadn't tested it yet. I really needed to get Windows Edge running so I could test my code against the new browser. I'm actually glad I did because I found an issue with our flash-based video player and it led to me upgrading to an HTML5 player.

I was half-thinking at first that I would dual-boot the work laptop between Windows 7 and Windows 10, thinking that I would keep 7 around in case I ever needed to log into Active Directory even though it's shitballs and literally took 20 minutes to boot. So I used EASUS to split up my hard drive and then installed Windows 10 on the second partition. I then wanted to free up some space on the partition I wasn't planning to use, so I cleaned things up and adjusted the sizes of the partitions as I went. Eventually I realized this was stupid and just deleted the first partition and I'm running 10 exclusively now, and have Windows 7 in a VM for testing purposes.

I was surprised at how easy it was to manipulate the partitions without and problems. Even when I deleted the first partition, Windows figured it all out and booted right up the first time. All I had to do was eventually remove the old OS from the boot options.

The only issue I had was with my desktop PC. I have a Radeon R9 270 and it is connected to a Phillips 27" LCD TV via HDMI. When I initially purchased Windows 8.1 for this machine, it had great support for my monitor. The edges lined up perfectly without having to adjust them with the Catalyst software, and it supported 60hz up to a certain resolution. It was the best experience I've ever had with this TV.

After upgrading to Windows 10, I lost all of that. The TV will not work at all at 60hz, and every resolution that does work clips the edges off of the video in some way. I have the picture adjusted to fit inside the TV, but I'm stuck at 30hz.

Any idea of what happened? Did Microsoft decide not to support my TV in the new version of Windows?

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

@djmeph said:
    Any idea of what happened? Did Microsoft decide not to support my TV in the new version of Windows?

I would download latest drivers from the manufacturer if they have win 10, or Nvidia/AMD and do a clean install (either use guru3d driver sweeper for AMD or clean install with Nvidia.

djmeph

I'll try that with the catalyst driver, but the drivers for my TV have always been built in to the OS.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

TVs don't have drivers. Fresh install of the GPU drivers should do the trick.

djmeph
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

Your video card is not getting an EDID back from the display. The EDID is what tells the video card or display device what resolutions and refresh rates the display is capable of handling. The already mentioned solution of a driver update should solve the problem. Sometimes a bad cable can cause EDID information to not be reported correctly as well.

djmeph
  • Okay, while I've had problems with Windows 10 on my laptop (to the point where I wiped and installed Linux on it last night, which is running significantly better), I wasn't willing to call Microsoft too many names over it especially since they're giving the upgrade away for free. This, however, is beyond the pale. They're pushing the upgrade files out over Windows Update to 7/8 users that have NOT opted in to the free upgrade now.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/10/windows_10_forced_download/

Granted, they're not forcibly installing it, but still, what possible sense does it make to automatically download multiple GB of data for an update that is opt-in when the user has not opted in for it? I'm starting to lean more towards the opinion that Microsoft is bollocksing this whole process up every day.

Cliff_Forsterdjmeph
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian

Tempest in a teacup.

AlexDeGruven
  • I'm actually with @ardichoke on that point. It's a shitty move on their part in the age of data caps and people that don't have the space to spare on unwanted files.

ardichokeGargCliff_Forsterdjmeph
  • I ran into a bizarre post install mishap yesterday. I believe in this case it was due to some existing malware on the system. It would be nice if a good malware scan / removal was somehow part of the upgrade process, you know, because Windows... MALWARE!!!

Anyhow a user on his own decided he had to give it a whirl. I was called in after completion of the "upgrade". This system had a bizarre start button behavior I had not seen prior. When hitting start, the system would launch the live tiles sort of like 8.1 but with the desktop still in the background. No menu, and no way to drill down to "all applications" that I could see. System performance was awful. I can't say for certain what it was due to, but I know his system was infected with several Mindspark and Conduit items.

Needless to say I rolled it back to 7 and did the malware cleaning from there. After cleaning it up it ran well, and I was too short on time to try to launch another upgrade he didn't need. I hid the upgrade icon and let him know I'd check in with him in a few months after they iron some bugs out. Just crazy to me that a good solid malware scan and removal isn't part of that initial upgrade process. I'd understand it not catching everything, but the stuff on his system was pretty garden variety. Malware and ransomware that I see a couple times a week at least.

_kThraxKarmaTushon

Hmmm ...

I tried using guru 3d, reinstalled the catalyst driver and got the same result. I also tried another HDMI cable, same result.

I also tried hooking the TV up to my laptop. This is where it got interesting, because I was able to get it to work in 720p at 60hz.

Come to think of it, I've had multiple BSODs since I upgraded to Windows 10, but it always happened while I was playing games. I've also seen the FOHClient.exe task crash a few times, and it's definitely running simulations on the GPU.

Just weird that if it's a hardware problem, it coincided with the upgrade to Windows 10. :-(

I guess the only thing left now is to go back to 8.1 and see if it works again.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

furmark or OCCT can test your GPU. I haven't run them in a while, but one or both has the ability to test without you watching, the other requires you to watch for distortions (or BSOD), I believe.

djmeph

FURMARK?

Strikes

Furmark and OCCT both produced favorable results. Gonna go back to 8.1 and see what happens.

Welp. I'm back to Windows 8.1. Got all of my resolutions and frequencies back. Running 1360x768 @60hz now and no need for cropping. And I haven't even installed Catalyst yet.

I'm going to try to run a clean upgrade to Windows 10 and see what happens. If my resolutions aren't available, I'm just going to stick with Windows 8.1.

Here's where I stand:

Radeon R9 RS-270 works in 8.1, but not 10
    Laptop with Radeon Mobility 5000 works in both.

• I'm about one AMD video driver reset (crash) away from saying "fuck it Dude lets go bowling".... Driving me crazy in a few titles.

I have tried fully cleaning the driver and re installing properly as well. Nothing seems to help.

_k
  • @Cliff_Forster said:
    I'm about one AMD video driver reset (crash) away from saying "fuck it Dude lets go bowling".... Driving me crazy in a few titles.

I have tried fully cleaning the driver and re installing properly as well. Nothing seems to help.

That's what they get for letting @Thrax code the Windows 10 support

/troll

Clean install of Windows 10 on my sister's laptop didn't fix her crashing problem. She's reverted to Windows 7.

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

I think hardware age has a big influence on Windows 10 stability.
    Win 10 has a lot of new power states for hardware and tries to leverage them. I feel there is a fair bit of hardware out there that doesn't properly identify that it does or does not support some of these power states.