General Windows 10 Discussion

Comments

• @Ryder said:

Win 10 has a lot of new power states for hardware and tries to leverage them. I feel there is a fair bit of hardware out there that doesn't properly identify that it does or does not support some of these power states.

If that's the case, perhaps Microsoft should have fallen back to a position of "if the hardware doesn't properly identify that it does support a power state, don't use it" position, instead of shoehorning a square power state into a circular GPU?

_k
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Pstates are controlled by firmware, and Win10 only has one new power state (hybrid sleep) governed by the mobo bios.

_k
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

I was not speaking of GPU's, specifically.
    I was also not pointing the finger at Microsoft. I was talking about the chipset and the supported power states being "advertised" by the bios or ROM or whatever it is advertised in when it doesn't actually support it.
    Similar to saying you support the SATA 3.1 spec when you are only 3.0 compliant. It all has to do with Dwords in the identify data (in the case of SSD's).
    Chipsets and various components on the motherboard have that data contained in their own little ROM space or within the bios/UEFI code, that is what I was talking about. Windows doesn't "know" they are lying, in laymens terms.

• Since I updated to 10 TF2 has been having some intersting graphics problems. Items are stretched across the whole map. Today people have mushrooms on their backs (last picture). I have validated the TF2 files through steam and using the latest drivers for the GPU. Anyone have any sugestions? This was an upgrade from 7 if that helps.

• djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian

So GPU support is spotty at best in Win10, no matter the generation of the card.

_k
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian

@Signal said:
    Since I updated to 10 TF2 has been having some intersting graphics problems. Items are stretched across the whole map. Today people have mushrooms on their backs (last picture). I have validated the TF2 files through steam and using the latest drivers for the GPU. Anyone have any sugestions? This was an upgrade from 7 if that helps.

That is actually a vertices draw issue, you are seeing a model that has a wrong draw point and results in it being stretched. Good luck getting anyone admitting this is a software issue, and fixing it, as that issue has been present for years across different engines.

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian

Still waiting on asus to tell ms that it is ok to upgrade my laptop to 10. Really liking it on my desktop and would like to get it on the lapper as well

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

So I ended up with some extra rewards credits here at work, and used them on an Acer Iconia Tab 8W. It's an 8" tablet that runs windows. Moderately decent performance (quad-core Atom w/1GB of RAM), but pretty convenient to have around in a pinch. It upgraded to Win10 over the weekend and runs like a champ.

Another issue I have with Windows 10, which is more of a poweruser issue, is that I have yet to be able to compile anything in C++. This has never been an easy task for me, but so far my efforts to compile anything have been futile. I'm doing everything in a Debian VM now.

This is more one of those things where I'm a developer that continues to cling on to Windows when I probably should have switched to Linux or Mac a long time ago. (My work is getting me an MBP soon)

PirateNinja_kdrasnor
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

We're only issuing macs to new devs and are likely going to continue to pressure windows-using devs over as their machines age out.

djmeph
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

@djmeph said:
    I should have switched to Linux a long time ago.

FTFY.

ardichokedjmephGarg
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

@djmeph said:
    Another issue I have with Windows 10, which is more of a poweruser issue, is that I have yet to be able to compile anything in C++. This has never been an easy task for me, but so far my efforts to compile anything have been futile. I'm doing everything in a Debian VM now.

What compiler is causing problems? I ran into something similar on Windows 7 recently.

@mertesn said:
    What compiler is causing problems? I ran into something similar on Windows 7 recently.

I don't actually own Visual Studio.net and rely on the SDK, free versions of .NET with C++ compiler built in and I can't get any of them to work on Win10. But yeah, it was a chore to even get them to work on Windows 7.

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

There are express versions of Visual Studio that are free. Might give those a try.

_kdjmeph
  • KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

@mertesn said:
    There are express versions of Visual Studio that are free. Might give those a try.

Not only that the Express versions were setup largely with C++ in mind. Visual Studio 2015 community (free) also seems to have a quick install of c++ compiler and all that. There is also MinGW and codeblocks for Windows .

djmeph

I tried multiple editions of the free version of Visual Studio, plus I've tried the Win 8 SDK and a beta SDK that I think is for Win 10, but I couldn't get any of them to work.

Some of the compiling I'm doing defaults to the older versions of C++ that utilize msbuild.exe. None of them seem to be compatible with Win 10. The node-gyp module can be configured to use the newer versions of the C++ compiler, which I think utilizes msbuild.dll instead. But when I try that with the newer versions of C++ I am unable to even configure node-gyp let alone compile with it.

So I've been mostly using a Debian VM, which is fine. I should probably be using a Linux environment for what I'm doing because right now I'm testing locally in Windows and then pushing to a Linux server and this isn't the first problem I've had doing that.

• @djmeph said:

I should probably be using a Linux environment for what I'm doing because right now I'm testing locally in Windows and then pushing to a Linux server and this isn't the first problem I've had doing that.

:wtf::facepalm:

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

There's really nothing wrong with that if your test environment is setup appropriately compared to the prod environment. Using requirements files and ensuring the tech stack is compatible across windows and linux, we have plenty of people at the Fool who do just that.

_kdjmeph

@Tushon said:
    There's really nothing wrong with that if your test environment is setup appropriately compared to the prod environment. Using requirements files and ensuring the tech stack is compatible across windows and linux, we have plenty of people at the Fool who do just that.

Right, it's usually not a problem, and it's manageable. But for things like compiling in C++ and issues related to case sensitivity differences in file structures, it can be a hassle. I've been working a lot with Node.js lately, and it has really good Windows support until it comes to some of the encryption modules.

• You're just better off developing on the platform you're going to deploy. This is why at $job-1 we had dev boxes that had identical stacks to the staging and production boxes. People got to run whatever they wanted on their workstation and they had an environment that was consistent with production to do their dev and initial testing on.

_kmertesndjmeph
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited October 2015

Threshold 2 looks fairly ambitious for an OS that is less than six months after initial release.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-delivers-new-windows-10-threshold-2-test-build-for-pc-users/

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

the metro styled skype app was pretty nice, hopefully this one is fire. I am kind of shocked it is taking them this long to integrate a chat thing, seeing as how popular chat apps are, and skype already has a pretty big user base. Hopefully it becomes add free on windows.

• http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/29/windows-10-upgrade-push-changes-things-for-it-pros-and-bootlegge/

Anyone who doesn't want Windows 10 for whatever reason (broken drivers, privacy, just like 7/8/8.1 better) would do well to check this out. Microsoft is going to (apparently) start automatically upgrading computers through Windows Update without confirmation, depending on your WU settings. If you don't want to be automatically upgraded, you'll want to check your settings.

Cliff_ForsterGarg

My video issues in Windows 10 have been resolved. I thought it might have been fixed in the new Crimson drivers, but I'm also not having any issues with the WHQL drivers either. I'm also not getting BSODs when gaming anymore in Windows 10. All of my machines are now upgraded.

• Anyone else notice something strange in the lastest updates? I had two systems with unique networking hardware each display extreme slowness loading Google services no matter what browser I used. Rolled them each back prior to last weeks updates and everything is fine again. Anyone else seeing this?

No, I have not noticed any immeasurable strangeness with obscure hardware.

• Has anyone rebuilt their rig since upgrading to Windows 10?

Looking into upgrading most of my computer for the first time in about 5 years. Finally. I'm not sure how the licensing will like that though. I upgraded to Win 10 from a Windows 7 Retail license, so, by my understanding, I should be able to move my license to the rebuilt computer. Not sure how to go about doing it though. Any resources would be appreciated.

• SignalSignal Icrontian

@ardichoke said:
    Has anyone rebuilt their rig since upgrading to Windows 10?

Looking into upgrading most of my computer for the first time in about 5 years. Finally. I'm not sure how the licensing will like that though. I upgraded to Win 10 from a Windows 7 Retail license, so, by my understanding, I should be able to move my license to the rebuilt computer. Not sure how to go about doing it though. Any resources would be appreciated.

As someone with a 7 year old motherboard and processor, this is a concern for me as well. Is it going to be like Windows 8 where you were allowed a certain number of hardware changes?

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

I recently swapped my motherboard and had to reactivate. I had to type in my windows key again. It worked flawlessly. Zero issues.

• @primesuspect said:
    I recently swapped my motherboard and had to reactivate. I had to type in my windows key again. It worked flawlessly. Zero issues.

Your windows key for the previous version that you upgraded?